Pages: [1] 2   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: A Chippy from days gone by.  (Read 8347 times)
WR5

Ignore
« on: Monday, September 24, 2012, 08:41:02 »

Does anyone remember the chippy that used to be by the train station, I am talking at least 25 yeas ago. Used to go in there with my old man before matches. It had a few tables so you could eat in of take away. I seem to remember the woman who served was called Pauline . I may be looking back through nostalgic eyes but I remember them being the best chips ever.

ronnie21

The Mighty Hankerton

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: Monday, September 24, 2012, 10:16:44 »

Yeah, I remember it, wasn't it called the Wellington Fish Bar?  Wasn't there a brothel up there as well, above the shops - Dingo's?  Bet you can remember that as well!!!  There used to be another really good chippy just further on, probably in Fleet Street somewhere near where Focal Point stands now.  Where's Reg when you need him?
« Last Edit: Monday, September 24, 2012, 10:18:28 by ronnie21 » Logged
nevillew
Tripping the light puntastic

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: Monday, September 24, 2012, 13:42:53 »

Yeah, I remember it, wasn't it called the Wellington Fish Bar?  Wasn't there a brothel up there as well, above the shops - Dingo's?  Bet you can remember that as well!!!  There used to be another really good chippy just further on, probably in Fleet Street somewhere near where Focal Point stands now.  Where's Reg when you need him?

Dingo's?

Paolo Di Canio, it's Paolo Di Canio
4D
Or not 4D that is the question

I can't bear it 🙄

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: Monday, September 24, 2012, 14:14:32 »

Ronnie, do you live in Bristol?
WR5

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: Monday, September 24, 2012, 14:19:50 »

I was about 8 at the time and I don't think my old man ever too to the brothel upstairs

ronnie21

The Mighty Hankerton

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: Monday, September 24, 2012, 15:49:19 »

Ronnie, do you live in Bristol?
NO!!!!!!!!!!!!!  I am a moonraker born and bred and stilll living in our wonderful county!
ronnie21

The Mighty Hankerton

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: Monday, September 24, 2012, 15:51:29 »

I was about 8 at the time and I don't think my old man ever too to the brothel upstairs
Ah, that explains everything then! Pint
Reg Smeeton
Walking Encyclopaedia

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: Monday, September 24, 2012, 16:03:20 »

Yeah, I remember it, wasn't it called the Wellington Fish Bar?  Wasn't there a brothel up there as well, above the shops - Dingo's?  Bet you can remember that as well!!!  There used to be another really good chippy just further on, probably in Fleet Street somewhere near where Focal Point stands now.  Where's Reg when you need him?

For me Dingo's was the popular name for the Central Cafe...which doubled up as a Taxi Rank, the chippy was next door.

There was Beale's cafe, popular with mods, because it did expresso coffee...which is now probably under a roundabout.

Chip shop in Manchester Road...which was approx opposite the Pint and Prostitute, formerly known as the Eastcott Hotel, beloved of my grandfather, which retained it's nicotine stained giant pics of Roger Smart scoring at Wembley for some years.

The Man Road chippy did particularly fine battered sausages, a must when returning from away games by train. They picked up the slack after the demise of Jock Walker's legendary chippy on the corner of Corporation Street, circa 64.

Another chippy was the Friar Tuck, which I'm now thinking was in Faringdon Road, but may have been John Street, not to be confused with Bulgarelli's which was the other end of Faringdon Road opposite The Park.
Shaw Rosso

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: Monday, September 24, 2012, 16:08:50 »

Talking of chippies, is there anywhere decent in Swindon? Every place I have ever tried has soggy batter and greasy chips, pop down to Weymouth and its a different story altogether  Eat
Batch
Not a Batch

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: Monday, September 24, 2012, 17:41:11 »

Talking of chippies, is there anywhere decent in Swindon? Every place I have ever tried has soggy batter and greasy chips, pop down to Weymouth and its a different story altogether  Eat

Peatmoor I tells ya. Expensive but unsurpassed as yet in Swindon. That I've found anywho.
leefer

Ignore
« Reply #10 on: Monday, September 24, 2012, 17:42:26 »

The best chip shop in Swindon back then was Brays chippy in Gorse Hill....they still have Brays out front on the patio pavement...next to Jensons clothes shop.
Think the Brays had a chippy there for many moons
I remember the chippy well near the train station taxi place.........lovely Italian woman ran it when i used to go there.
Also remember Nottons in Manchester Road.....would always give you fried potatoes with a breakfast.
ronnie21

The Mighty Hankerton

Ignore
« Reply #11 on: Monday, September 24, 2012, 18:21:12 »

For me Dingo's was the popular name for the Central Cafe...which doubled up as a Taxi Rank, the chippy was next door.

There was Beale's cafe, popular with mods, because it did expresso coffee...which is now probably under a roundabout.

Chip shop in Manchester Road...which was approx opposite the Pint and Prostitute, formerly known as the Eastcott Hotel, beloved of my grandfather, which retained it's nicotine stained giant pics of Roger Smart scoring at Wembley for some years.

The Man Road chippy did particularly fine battered sausages, a must when returning from away games by train. They picked up the slack after the demise of Jock Walker's legendary chippy on the corner of Corporation Street, circa 64.

Another chippy was the Friar Tuck, which I'm now thinking was in Faringdon Road, but may have been John Street, not to be confused with Bulgarelli's which was the other end of Faringdon Road opposite The Park.
Yes Reg, memories are now coming back!!  The Central Cafe, as you rightly say, was known locally as Dingo's - but wasn't there a certain establishment above the caff??  Wasn't there a chippie almost opposite Beale's cafe, did decent fare there, seem to remember the walls were all tiled with trawler-type scenes and fish - that alone would be worth a small fortune now.  I guess that is probably under that building where some twat has parked a mini half-way up!
Reg Smeeton
Walking Encyclopaedia

Ignore
« Reply #12 on: Monday, September 24, 2012, 18:35:59 »

Yes Reg, memories are now coming back!!  The Central Cafe, as you rightly say, was known locally as Dingo's - but wasn't there a certain establishment above the caff??  Wasn't there a chippie almost opposite Beale's cafe, did decent fare there, seem to remember the walls were all tiled with trawler-type scenes and fish - that alone would be worth a small fortune now.  I guess that is probably under that building where some twat has parked a mini half-way up!

I would say not on the brothel, but then as now, I was too young for that sort of thing. There, however was a brothel in Medgbury Road.
red socks

« Reply #13 on: Monday, September 24, 2012, 18:59:43 »

Dingo's?

Dingo bennett?
leefer

Ignore
« Reply #14 on: Monday, September 24, 2012, 19:13:38 »

Can anyone remember the Tartan Cafe in Commercial Road....a few doors down from the Rolleston.
Robins Nest in Gorse Hill and the Park Cafe in Faringdon Road where the Italian is now.
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up
Print
Jump to: