Pages: 1 ... 17 18 19 [20] 21 22 23 ... 27   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: Poxford away in JPT  (Read 56549 times)
walcot red

Ignore
« Reply #285 on: Monday, September 3, 2012, 14:16:48 »

ardiles, i know fuck all about trains, what train do i need to get to get off at radley Hmmm

just get the stopping service from didcot to oxford
TheMajorSTFC

Ignore
« Reply #286 on: Monday, September 3, 2012, 14:17:36 »

Considering there are no direct trains from here to O*ford, I believe if you change at Didcot and get on a train towards that neck of the woods it will stop there on one of those smaller trains.

#VivaKenBarlow!
Ardiles

Stirlingshire Reds

Ignore
« Reply #287 on: Monday, September 3, 2012, 14:18:51 »

I always laugh when I see the word 'alight' at a railway station thinking surely nobody in this day and age uses such a word.

However you have proved me wrong Ardiles!

Shit.  You're right!  I think it's really old fashioned as well...but I use the train to get to work 5 days a week, and maybe it's rubbed off on me?

The other one that gets me is the regular tannoy announcement at Waterloo station that asks passengers to make sure they don't leave any baggage or parcels unattended.  Very quaint.  Bit of an anachronism, maybe?

[url width=300 height=259]http://3.bp.blogspot.com/-FB3Et_XFEN8/TnLp8msAG-I/AAAAAAAANig/5yu82I7cEgU/s1600/2011.09A.36.jpg[/url]
ghanimah

Ignore
« Reply #288 on: Monday, September 3, 2012, 14:26:35 »

Oxford station is nearly 5 miles from their ground.  Similar sort of distance as Swindon station to Hunt's Copse or the edge of Wootton Bassett.  You'd be almost as well alighting at Radley station...which is barely any further from the Kassam.

Radley is almost twice as long - by taxi - than from Oxford train station unless you're prepared to walk it through Sandford Lane, over the Thames and the King's Arms
« Last Edit: Monday, September 3, 2012, 14:36:08 by ghanimah » Logged

"We perform the duties of freemen; we must have the privileges of freemen ..."
Ardiles

Stirlingshire Reds

Ignore
« Reply #289 on: Monday, September 3, 2012, 14:27:30 »

My comment (stopping at Radley) was only semi-serious.  I've never tried getting off there myself.  Just trying to illustrate the point that while Oxford station might sound like a logical place to head for, it's so far from the ground that you'll be at the mercy of buses, cabs and the police when you get there.  If the train is your only option, then fair enough.  But, unlike our place, the Kassam has to be one of the least train-friendly grounds to reach.  I'd find another way if it was me.
Peter Venkman
We don't need no stinking badges.

Things can only get better

« Reply #290 on: Monday, September 3, 2012, 14:27:30 »

Radley is almost twice as long - by taxi - than from Radley unless you're prepared to walk it through Sandford Land, over the Thames and the King's Arms
This is true, walking it is a mile or so closer but by taxi or bus its almost twice the distance due to the station being on the wrong side of the river.

Only a fool does not know when to hold his tongue.
Bob's Orange
Has brain escape barriers

Ignore
« Reply #291 on: Monday, September 3, 2012, 14:28:51 »

Shit.  You're right!  I think it's really old fashioned as well...but I use the train to get to work 5 days a week, and maybe it's rubbed off on me?

The other one that gets me is the regular tannoy announcement at Waterloo station that asks passengers to make sure they don't leave any baggage or parcels unattended.  Very quaint.  Bit of an anachronism, maybe?

[url width=300 height=259]http://3.bp.blogspot.com/-FB3Et_XFEN8/TnLp8msAG-I/AAAAAAAANig/5yu82I7cEgU/s1600/2011.09A.36.jpg[/url]

Haven't heard that announcement yet to be fair, but yes it does sound quite 'traditional'.

I shudder at the mention of Waterloo. I have to go through it to get to Battersea at about 6.30/7pm on a Friday night and its a nightmare to try and get past the throngs of people standing staring at the boards, more often than not, right in the way!

we've been to Aberdeen, we hate the Hibs, they make us spew up, so make some noise,
the gorgie boys, for Hearts in Europe.
Ardiles

Stirlingshire Reds

Ignore
« Reply #292 on: Monday, September 3, 2012, 14:32:13 »

This is true, walking it is a mile or so closer but by taxi or bus its almost twice the distance due to the station being on the wrong side of the river.

According to Google, by road
  - Kassam is 4.8 miles from Oxford station; and
  - Kassam is 6.2 miles from Radley station.
Ardiles

Stirlingshire Reds

Ignore
« Reply #293 on: Monday, September 3, 2012, 14:34:42 »

I shudder at the mention of Waterloo. I have to go through it to get to Battersea at about 6.30/7pm on a Friday night and its a nightmare to try and get past the throngs of people standing staring at the boards, more often than not, right in the way!

One of which, more than likely, will be me.  I'll let you have my apology now.   Wink
Peter Venkman

« Reply #294 on: Monday, September 3, 2012, 14:43:13 »

According to Google, by road
  - Kassam is 4.8 miles from Oxford station; and
  - Kassam is 6.2 miles from Radley station.
Thats probably about right mate, I do know that its a long old drag driving from Radley to the Kassam, it looks close on the map but is quite a distance.

Jimmy Glass is an Alien

« Reply #295 on: Monday, September 3, 2012, 14:46:46 »

Is anyone going to this and offering a lift?

I left it too late to book a coach seat. Petrol money waiting.
RedOx

Ignore
« Reply #296 on: Monday, September 3, 2012, 15:47:51 »

My comment (stopping at Radley) was only semi-serious.  I've never tried getting off there myself.  Just trying to illustrate the point that while Oxford station might sound like a logical place to head for, it's so far from the ground that you'll be at the mercy of buses, cabs and the police when you get there.  If the train is your only option, then fair enough.  But, unlike our place, the Kassam has to be one of the least train-friendly grounds to reach.  I'd find another way if it was me.

Taxi from the station is the best bet.

If you get a beer in town then well done, but would still suggest getting a taxi.

If you're not sure of the buses then you'll end up in BB Leys and will stand out as a 'tourist' and get chased by some hoodies!

If you're by yourself then I would try the Priory pub near the ground, as long as you're sensible  Zipped   you should be ok and blend in with the crowd. Have a good one.    Pint
Peter Venkman

« Reply #297 on: Monday, September 3, 2012, 15:57:25 »

If you're not sure of the buses then you'll end up in BB Leys and will stand out as a 'tourist' and get chased by some hoodies!
By virtue of having just 10 fingers and thumbs.

The Frog

Ignore
« Reply #298 on: Monday, September 3, 2012, 16:39:09 »

Everyone one get your heads down and get a ticket for this game, us fans need to be there now more than ever its only 45 mins up the road if we can take 900 to preston we should sell 1800 easily
donkey
Cheers!

He headed a football.

Ignore
« Reply #299 on: Monday, September 3, 2012, 16:53:24 »

only 1100 sold?! come on "fans"!

I've already got one!  How many more do I need to buy? (Yeah, I know, about 700...)

donkey tells the truth

I headed the ball.

eeeeeeeeeeeeeee-aaaaaaaawwwwwww
Pages: 1 ... 17 18 19 [20] 21 22 23 ... 27   Go Up
Print
Jump to: