Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5 ... 12   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: Your views on the news  (Read 23974 times)
Reg Smeeton
Walking Encyclopaedia

Ignore
« Reply #15 on: Thursday, August 16, 2012, 20:41:30 »

I've been waiting for the TEF debate about Assange...my gut instinct is that he's been set up, for daring to take on the US government. Our government will always roll over happily to help, that's realpolitik. I do though have a nagging doubt that Julian may not quite be the freedom fighter he seems.  Therefore I'm sticking firmly in the Pussy Riot camp when it comes to unequivocal support.

« Last Edit: Thursday, August 16, 2012, 20:43:09 by Reg Smeeton » Logged
leefer

Ignore
« Reply #16 on: Thursday, August 16, 2012, 20:42:06 »

Couple of interesting stories today.

First of all Julian Assange. Have to say I'm in favour of letting the bloke go to Ecuador, think he's in danger of being royally stitched up by us, the Swedes and the yanks. Also I believe these charges in Sweden have already been rejected in Sverige once, so why are they investigating again - haven't heard there's new evidence.

Second of all - Mr Nicklinson. Let the poor bastard die with some dignity. Yes we have to be careful to give people power to 'kill' someone, but his life must be terrible. On a case by case basis I don't see why the courts couldn't give the go ahead to let him slip away with family and friends close by.

Jan....i am responding to your point.....that being we should allow this man to go to Equador?

Flashheart

« Reply #17 on: Thursday, August 16, 2012, 20:43:53 »

I've been waiting for the TEF debate about Assange...my gut instinct is that he's been set up, for daring to take on the US government. Our government will always roll over happily to help, that's realpolitik. I do though have a nagging doubt that Julian may not quite be the freedom fighter he seems.  Therefore I'm sticking firmly in the Pussy Riot camp when it comes to unequivocal.

He seems a bit of a tosser to be honest. By all accounts he's a horrible cunt.

Doesn't make it acceptable for the yanks to bully as they are though.
Flashheart

« Reply #18 on: Thursday, August 16, 2012, 20:45:40 »

Jan....i am responding to your point.....that being we should allow this man to go to Equador?

http://lmgtfy.com/?q=wikileaks
ghanimah

Ignore
« Reply #19 on: Thursday, August 16, 2012, 20:56:40 »

I've been waiting for the TEF debate about Assange...my gut instinct is that he's been set up, for daring to take on the US government. Our government will always roll over happily to help, that's realpolitik. I do though have a nagging doubt that Julian may not quite be the freedom fighter he seems.  Therefore I'm sticking firmly in the Pussy Riot camp when it comes to unequivocal support.

In this case I disagree, which is why Assange has been desperate to stay here. Firstly Assange has a strong 'public interest defence' in the UK regarding his activities which would help his case, he has more sympathetic support here, the courts are in his language and Sweden has a worse track record in hindering extraditions to the US. This is why in my opinion they are using the EU Arrest Warrant, as a tool - which we cannot refuse - to remove him from this country in order to make his extradition to the US more likely

"We perform the duties of freemen; we must have the privileges of freemen ..."
Reg Smeeton
Walking Encyclopaedia

Ignore
« Reply #20 on: Thursday, August 16, 2012, 20:56:52 »

He seems a bit of a tosser to be honest. By all accounts he's a horrible cunt.

Doesn't make it acceptable for the yanks to bully as they are though.

All good points...with this in mind political asylum in Ecuador might be a good solution.
janaage
People's Front of Alba

Ignore
« Reply #21 on: Thursday, August 16, 2012, 21:01:30 »

I get that Leefer, but you debating whether we should let him go to Ecuador or not is a bit like having a debate on Hitler, and just focusing on his moustache.

It's not a matter whether we should let him go to Ecuador or not, but should we potentially hand him over to the yanks for them to dish out a bit of payback after his wikileaks exploits.
Flashheart

« Reply #22 on: Thursday, August 16, 2012, 21:02:15 »

I applaud Ecuador for granting him asylum.

They are doing what we should be doing. A shame they'll be invaded be the yanks shortly.
leefer

Ignore
« Reply #23 on: Thursday, August 16, 2012, 21:02:56 »

Your point being what.....instead of being  patronising tell mr why the fuck do i want to wiki leak him for.....surely it just says what i am trying to get through to you.

OUR LAW STATES HE IS TO BE EXTRADITED.....FOR SOME REASON HE RUNS FOR COVER IN AN EMBASSY....SO FOR NORMAL PEOPLE LIKE ME I WONDER WHY OTHER PEOPLE WOULD SUGGEST THAT THE SWEDES,THE US AND THE BRITS WOULD STITCH THIS MAN UP......HE HAS STITCHED HIMSELF UP.

In a nutshell Jan explained he thinks Mr Assange should go to Equador...in a nutshell i dont.

I didn't make any reference to all the other claptrap....

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Julian_Assange

The top paragraph gives no mention to wiki leaks.....he is to be extradited to Sweden to face sex crimes......am i wrong?

janaage
People's Front of Alba

Ignore
« Reply #24 on: Thursday, August 16, 2012, 21:06:21 »

Leefer the argument is the sex charges are basically just an excuse to get him to Sweden. I have read they've already chucked those charges out once anyway.

Once over in Sweden the US will then apply to have him extradited to the US where the US authorities will have their dirty way with him.

As others have said I don't particularly like the bloke, but I object to a stitch up, and this feels like a stitch up, which is why I support his application to get to a safe haven - Ecuador - without fear of being turned over to the yanks.
Flashheart

« Reply #25 on: Thursday, August 16, 2012, 21:06:41 »

instead of being  patronising tell mr why the fuck do i want to wiki leak him for

He IS wikileaks
Flashheart

« Reply #26 on: Thursday, August 16, 2012, 21:09:17 »

The top paragraph gives no mention to wiki leak

Yes, it does:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Julian_Assange

He is best known as the editor-in-chief and founder of WikiLeaks
, a media website which has published information from whistleblowers.
Simon Pieman
Original Wanker

« Reply #27 on: Thursday, August 16, 2012, 21:12:39 »

I'm amazed anyone actually thinks he'd get a fair trial in America. straight on the plane to Guantanamo Bay
Flashheart

« Reply #28 on: Thursday, August 16, 2012, 21:14:09 »

I'm not sure you are up to speed with this Leefer.

Are you aware of what wikileaks is? This is a genuine question!
Mister Lorenzo
Dirk Diggler

Ignore
« Reply #29 on: Thursday, August 16, 2012, 21:14:31 »

The most important fact is that these so-called "charges" were dropped by the Swedish authorities for lack of cause during their investigation to the girl's stories. Normally, for any one of us, that would be that. But SOMEONE pressured Sweden into re-opening the charges...anyone want to guess who? And anyone want to guess why the Swedes will not guarantee his non extradition to the US?
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5 ... 12   Go Up
Print
Jump to: