Pages: 1 2 3 [4]   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: Olympics Legacy  (Read 36535 times)
Reg Smeeton
Walking Encyclopaedia

Ignore
« Reply #45 on: Monday, August 13, 2012, 14:59:51 »

Good shout Reg,

Went to a televised meeting at Naish/Nash  hill (Melksham way) when I was about 6(I think). My dad has a cine film of me getting Murray Walker's autograph.  All the above mentioned were there plus John Banks.

Mind you, I always used to like the rallycross from Lydden Hill .

Good stuff, you should put it on YouTube, I'm sure we'd all like to see the young Neville collecting autographs.

Something from that time I remember, was to me a seemingly wonderfully pointless sport, whereby chaps in long open style cars used to climb very steep hils by reversing moves and handbrake turns....don't think it became too popular.
jonny72

Ignore
« Reply #46 on: Monday, August 13, 2012, 15:14:08 »

The calculator didn't stop maths being taught, it just changed how maths was taught. If computers can solve ever more complicated problems for us, people will need to learn how to tell the computers what problems they want solved. Whereas physics in schools is now about chemical reactions and gravity and stuff, computers may one day take it to quantum mechanics and beyond. Beers

There is a great video on TED of Stephen Wolfram basically saying the way we teach maths is fucked up - too much time performing calculations by hand when it should be all about using computers to do the grunt work and focussing on more important things. Worth a watch.
mexico red

Demasiado no es demasiado

Ignore
« Reply #47 on: Monday, August 13, 2012, 15:33:04 »

http://www.thedailymash.co.uk/news/society/olympics-inspires-uk-to-watch-television-2012081037801

end of thread Grin
nevillew
Tripping the light puntastic

Ignore
« Reply #48 on: Monday, August 13, 2012, 15:51:39 »

Good stuff, you should put it on YouTube, I'm sure we'd all like to see the young Neville collecting autographs.

Something from that time I remember, was to me a seemingly wonderfully pointless sport, whereby chaps in long open style cars used to climb very steep hils by reversing moves and handbrake turns....don't think it became too popular.

I think it was called 'hill climbing' Reg. Cheesy  The passenger used to go crazy bouncing around to keep the car moving.
 There was also cyclo cross - I suppose mountain bikes put paid to that.

Paolo Di Canio, it's Paolo Di Canio
Reg Smeeton
Walking Encyclopaedia

Ignore
« Reply #49 on: Monday, August 13, 2012, 15:57:14 »

I think it was called 'hill climbing' Reg. Cheesy  The passenger used to go crazy bouncing around to keep the car moving.
 There was also cyclo cross - I suppose mountain bikes put paid to that.

That was it...proper strange the drivers and passengers always looked to me like they may have been Spitfire pilots.

Think cyclo-cross is still undertaken.
reeves4england

We'll never die!

Ignore
« Reply #50 on: Monday, August 13, 2012, 16:00:23 »

That was it...proper strange the drivers and passengers always looked to me like they may have been Spitfire pilots.

There's a free cyclo-cross taster session at Lydiard on Thursday

https://www.joininuk.org/clubs/swindon-road-club/events/swindon-rc-come-and-try-cyclo-cross
Simon Pieman
Original Wanker

« Reply #51 on: Monday, August 13, 2012, 22:00:21 »

Think you're on about 'Trials'
Reg Smeeton
Walking Encyclopaedia

Ignore
« Reply #52 on: Tuesday, August 14, 2012, 08:03:44 »

Think you're on about 'Trials'

I looked that up and found this.

http://www.gomotorsport.net/en-GB/godrive/trials.html

Thanks for that. It is pretty much what Grandstand used to show, but in the script it does mention hill climbing, which I think was the actual stuff.
Batch
Not a Batch

Ignore
« Reply #53 on: Tuesday, August 14, 2012, 10:17:12 »

Didn't realise they were putting housing over the Olympic park. Bit of a shame as I wanted a tour, but nope - closes after the Paralympics until 2013.
Coca Fola

« Reply #54 on: Tuesday, August 14, 2012, 11:14:55 »

Didn't realise they were putting housing over the Olympic park. Bit of a shame as I wanted a tour, but nope - closes after the Paralympics until 2013.
They may as well keep it for the 2024 games..
sonicyouth

Ignore
« Reply #55 on: Saturday, August 18, 2012, 11:43:14 »

so who else knew that athletics has resumed with the diamond league in Stockholm?
Samdy Gray
Dirty sneaky traitor weasel

Ignore
« Reply #56 on: Saturday, August 18, 2012, 11:47:38 »

Me.
Swindon Please Win

Ignore
« Reply #57 on: Saturday, August 18, 2012, 11:49:03 »

Me too. I watched Ohuruogu get bronze yesterday.
Pages: 1 2 3 [4]   Go Up
Print
Jump to: