Pages: [1] 2 3 4   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: Olympics Legacy  (Read 36536 times)
jonny72

Ignore
« on: Sunday, August 12, 2012, 18:39:14 »

So will there be one?
What will it be?
Or will we all forget it and just go back to football?

I know it's obvious but I reckon it all depends on what happens next, especially the next few months while Olympic fever is still being felt. There has to be more investment in sports at the grass root level, upgrading facilities and making sports easier to access. It's no good if a kid wants to be an athlete or swimmer if they don't have a decent running track or swimming pool and the coaching to go with it. Think there has been a bit too much focus on the winning rather than taking part - if we get more people participating in sport the success will follow automatically.

Another big part of it for me is access to watch world class athletes in action. I'd like to see Mo Farah, the cycling team and others in action in the future but the events they compete in don't get much publicity. Maybe we need more sports coverage on the BBC. Better promotion and marketing for the events as well for sure. Maybe keep the Team GB label going as well for other events as it's easier for people to associate with it.

There's been some talk of if there will be a breakout sport, with the likely candidate being handball. I could see it taking off but again it needs massive investment to get kids playing it in schools and then a club structure outside of schools.

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: Sunday, August 12, 2012, 18:41:23 »

I'm interested to know what is going to be left of the olympic site. What will be preserved etc?
yeo

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: Sunday, August 12, 2012, 18:44:51 »

I'm off to the Olympic site tomorrow armed with my Spray Can to try and get the 1st graffiti laid down.

/
W56196272
jonny72

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: Sunday, August 12, 2012, 18:45:29 »

I was reading up on that on Wikipedia the other night. Can't remember exactly what it said stays now; the stadium (obviously), the velodrome (99.99% certain) and bmx track (I think), the swimming pool (definitely, opens as a public pool in 2014), the riverbank arena and the copper box. Basketball goes (definitely). Polo goes (pretty certain). I think.
jonny72

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: Sunday, August 12, 2012, 18:46:45 »

I'm off to the Olympic site tomorrow armed with my Spray Can to try and get the 1st graffiti laid down.

You'll have to wait until the Paralympics are over and they've tidied it up. Probably next year.

Why not have a go at a post box instead?
sonicyouth

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: Sunday, August 12, 2012, 18:50:12 »

The incumbent government will take credit for the success.

The interest in cycling, athletics, track and field, swimming and diving will return back to how it was previously within the next few months once the SPOTY awards are out the way.

The medallists will appear on every single TV programme for the next month before doing the usual absurd adverts for things like air fresheners, washing machines and cereal.

The Olympic site will become another Millennium Dome.
yeo

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: Sunday, August 12, 2012, 18:50:21 »

Good plan,if i get caught i'm blaming you.

/
W56196272
reeves4england

We'll never die!

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: Sunday, August 12, 2012, 18:51:14 »

A lot of people have called for the return of Grandstand as a way to improve coverage of minority sports, which sounds good to me. I'd certainly be tempted to watch, as long as there was British interest!

In terms of investment in young people, it'll be interesting to see what happens with school sports etc. Boris Johnson, David Cameron and Ed Miliband have all had a say in recent weeks, and all seem to agree that things need to be done. Ideally, we should see sport being taken mroe seriously in schools, and there should be more of an intention to develop sportsmen and women rather than simply provide a service and meet quotas. I had good PE teachers at school, but never felt anybody gave me a great opportunity to develop my skills in any of the sports I was good at.
reeves4england

We'll never die!

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: Sunday, August 12, 2012, 18:52:39 »

The incumbent government will take credit for the success.

The interest in cycling, athletics, track and field, swimming and diving will return back to how it was previously within the next few months once the SPOTY awards are out the way.

The medallists will appear on every single TV programme for the next month before doing the usual absurd adverts for things like air fresheners, washing machines and cereal.

The Olympic site will become another Millennium Dome.

The Millennium Dome is a leading entertainments venue, and just hosted Olympic events. Not bad.
Batch
Not a Batch

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: Sunday, August 12, 2012, 18:54:12 »

it'll be interesting to see what happens with school sports t.

A clear plan should already have been in place to follow up on the feel good factor straight away. If its left too long the country will return to type.

I did see there would be a return to competitive sports in primary schools, about bloody time.
reeves4england

We'll never die!

Ignore
« Reply #10 on: Sunday, August 12, 2012, 18:56:05 »

A clear plan should already have been in place to follow up on the feel good factor straight away. If its left too long the country will return to type.

I did see there would be a return to competitive sports in primary schools, about bloody time.

Agree with all of that. Was chatting just a few minutes ago with somebody who studied sports development at uni. They said all the Olympics that had a true legacy were in countries where a plan was put in place well before the Olympics took place. Not so here. It'll take a lot to pull it off.
kerry red

« Reply #11 on: Sunday, August 12, 2012, 18:57:29 »

My favourite moment was probably Usain Bolt chatting up the lane steward(ess) before his 200m final - gold in itself.

May be wrong here, but I would reckon, despite heading the medal table, the USA must be disappointed with their overall games performance - along with the Aussies.

Only one, personally annoying, aspect - the gold medal winners 'biting' their medals. Akin to the twatty FA Cup winners putting the trophy lid on their head and every new signing either holding a scarf above their head or a shirt with their name on it.

But after not really looking forward to it I can't imagine my day without it.

Splendid stuff!
« Last Edit: Sunday, August 12, 2012, 19:21:43 by kerry red » Logged
jonny72

Ignore
« Reply #12 on: Sunday, August 12, 2012, 19:00:56 »

A lot of people have called for the return of Grandstand as a way to improve coverage of minority sports, which sounds good to me. I'd certainly be tempted to watch, as long as there was British interest!

The BBC should bring back Superstars (or whatever it was called). They could actually have competitors we've all heard of now and will help with keeping others sports in the public eye. Would be good if they got some big UK names involved.

Like the Grandstand idea. One problem at present is that whilst the BBC do cover some minority sports it's often only via their website, the red button or BBC3 or BBC4 and they don't really promote it much. Putting minority sports under the Grandstand banner would help with the publicity and maybe get more watching it - reckon coverage of track cycling would be very popular.

Whilst I pretty much always watch it, I feel the £60m a year the BBC pay for the Match of the Day rights is a shocking waste of the TV license. Reckon they could have got it a lot cheaper as well as no one else really wants it or would pay anywhere near that much. They should have scrapped it and used it for other sports instead.
jonny72

Ignore
« Reply #13 on: Sunday, August 12, 2012, 19:04:45 »

My favourite moment was probably Usain Bolt chatting up the lane steward(ess) before his 100m final - gold in itself.

Our PL footballers should take a long hard look at Bolt for a perfect example of the model sports professional and an ideal role model for them. Probably the highest profile sports person in the world at present yet completely down to earth, friendly, plenty of time for fans, a pleasure to see being interviewed and so on. Him doing the mo-bot and not wanting to stop hugging a bloke in the crowd with a Bolt t-shirt on were my Bolt highlights.

Think the way the Team GB athletes acted throughout the games will have a long lasting effect on people, especially kids.

Ignore
« Reply #14 on: Sunday, August 12, 2012, 19:09:30 »

Although the lottery funding is great and has made a massive difference,i still think the opportunities are not there for working class kids apart from at football clubs. Alot of the olympic sports will either be for the reasonably wealthy kids and parents with time on their hands.
That needs to change and sports need to be made more available for all
Pages: [1] 2 3 4   Go Up
Print
Jump to: