Pages: 1 2 [3]   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: 4d's next question - Best before date  (Read 4876 times)
Flashheart

« Reply #30 on: Thursday, August 9, 2012, 17:00:31 »

What does freezer burned mean?
herthab
TEF Travel

Ignore
« Reply #31 on: Thursday, August 9, 2012, 17:46:40 »

Use by dates highlight a food safety risk if eaten past that date, ie foods high in moisture and protein which are potential breeding grounds for harmful bacteria. Selling, or even giving away, food past this date is illegal.
Best before dates highlight that after this date the quality may not be as good. Foods with best before dates are low risk and it isn't against the law to sell past expiry.

It's All Good..............
janaage
People's Front of Alba

Ignore
« Reply #32 on: Thursday, August 9, 2012, 19:54:09 »

What's the problem with eating out of date eggs? I thought if they float then chuck them, if they don't they're fine? I don't go by the use by / best before date.
THE FLASH

Quick as a Flash!

Ignore
« Reply #33 on: Thursday, August 9, 2012, 22:29:36 »

Freezer burn is when something has been dried by the sub zero temp....like prawns.

Clems Army!
Notts red

Ignore
« Reply #34 on: Thursday, August 9, 2012, 22:47:43 »

We have chucked more food away from the freezer than the fridge because of dates. Used to have a big chest freezer but so much stuff was left untouched in the bottom, we now have a more sensible sized one which means we waste a lot less.
Bogus Dave
Ate my own dick

Ignore
« Reply #35 on: Friday, August 10, 2012, 08:03:52 »

I didn't think things got out of date if they were frozen? Pretty much everything in my freezer at uni was at least two weeks out of date, and I'm not dead yet.

Things get better but they never get good
herthab
TEF Travel

Ignore
« Reply #36 on: Friday, August 10, 2012, 09:27:48 »

Frozen foods have a best before date but are edible. Even freezer burned stuff is edible, just tastes a bit rank.

It's All Good..............
Coca Fola

« Reply #37 on: Friday, August 10, 2012, 11:52:29 »

I've kept a human torso in my freezer for a good 2 years now and just to confirm that it's kept quite well in that time.
Pages: 1 2 [3]   Go Up
Print
Jump to: