Pages: [1] 2 3 4   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: Cycling to work  (Read 16708 times)
4D
Or not 4D that is the question

I can't bear it 🙄

Ignore
« on: Thursday, August 2, 2012, 08:48:52 »

I have started cycling to work and it's great! Saving about £35 and 125 miles a month on the motor, as well as getting exercise. I might look into this cycle to work scheme, has anyone used this?
Ardiles

Stirlingshire Reds

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: Thursday, August 2, 2012, 08:51:52 »

Works for a lot of people...but be safe!  Horrific story on a cycling forum this morning about a cyclist killed last night by a bus just outside the Olympic Park.  I used to do a lot of cycling, but I'd really think twice now about doing it regularly in a big city like London.  We're just not set up for it in the same way as a lot of other countries.
ibelieveinmrreeves
Should've gone to Specsavers

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: Thursday, August 2, 2012, 08:58:37 »

Thinking about doing the same now that I work 3 miles from home rather than 23. Got to get a bike first though.

Even men with steel hearts love to see a dog on the pitch.
pumbaa
Ha, no cunt in my title anymore. Oh.....

Fartmeister

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: Thursday, August 2, 2012, 09:02:24 »

Works for a lot of people...but be safe!  Horrific story on a cycling forum this morning about a cyclist killed last night by a bus just outside the Olympic Park.  I used to do a lot of cycling, but I'd really think twice now about doing it regularly in a big city like London.  We're just not set up for it in the same way as a lot of other countries.

You're going to pour fuel on the motorist v cyclist debate again.....stand back!

With regards to the cycle to work scheme, it depends whether your employer supports it. Assuming they do, ask them first as they may impose restrictive t&c as to what sort of bike you can purchase, where you can buy it from etc. That said, I think you can save up to 42% (or some figure like that) off a new bike and get some accessories (clothing, helmets, locks etc.) too.

Bristol is being promoted as the most cyclist friendly city in the UK, so where there is a will, there is a way.

(No, I haven't bought my new bike yet. I'm waiting for the sales to start circa September when all the new 2013 models are released)
walcot red

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: Thursday, August 2, 2012, 09:07:22 »

There needs to be a change in attitudes with both Cyclists and Motorists. I would never contemplate cycling in London. I use the roads in Bath from the Hospital to the Tow Path, and biggest issue I've encountered is bus drivers, they pass very close.

I also think that crash helmets should be a legal requirement and that a road awareness course or cycling profiecny (sorry if spelt wrong) should be taught to school kids.
Bewster

We fucking love you Gumbo!

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: Thursday, August 2, 2012, 09:31:05 »

I cycle to work when the weather is nice and do a lot of road and MTB cycling in my spare time, but I am down on the south coast and there are a lot of cycling clubs and good, quiet roads. There is also a good cycle path network. 

However recent stuides have shown that motorists give less room to cyclist in cycle lanes than they do without. The biggest issue for me is cars pulling out of side roads and the fear that the car near me may be texting or tuning his radio and not see me.

The CTW scheme is a good way to save money on a bike, but not as good as it used to be.
Reg Smeeton
Walking Encyclopaedia

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: Thursday, August 2, 2012, 09:32:53 »

Swindon, has got quite a decent network of cylcle paths, and think I read recently that something was being done to link to Wootton Bassett, which is the worst bit.

walcot red

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: Thursday, August 2, 2012, 09:45:56 »

Anyone know where I could pick up a map of cycle paths/routes in and around Swindon?
Samdy Gray
Dirty sneaky traitor weasel

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: Thursday, August 2, 2012, 09:57:52 »

http://www.swindontravelchoices.co.uk/assets/CycleLeaflet_SwindonTown.pdf
Samdy Gray

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: Thursday, August 2, 2012, 10:01:32 »

Swindon, has got quite a decent network of cylcle paths, and think I read recently that something was being done to link to Wootton Bassett, which is the worst bit.

Swindon's cycle network is very good.

From my place in West Swindon, I can get to Coate in around 20 minutes without having to use main roads. Or, going the other way, I can get out to Purton in the same time.
Reg Smeeton
Walking Encyclopaedia

Ignore
« Reply #10 on: Thursday, August 2, 2012, 10:01:51 »

Anyone know where I could pick up a map of cycle paths/routes in and around Swindon?

SBC used to do a decent map, with all the cycle routes on, which you could pick up form the Information Centre.

The Information Centre is now closed due to Tory cuts, and I'm unsure if they still produce the map. You'd have thought so mind...
walcot red

Ignore
« Reply #11 on: Thursday, August 2, 2012, 10:07:30 »

Cheers Samdy

Samdy Gray

Ignore
« Reply #12 on: Thursday, August 2, 2012, 10:20:04 »

Here you go, Reg.

http://www.wiltshire.gov.uk/leisureandrecreation/walkingandcycling/towncyclenetworks/royalwoottonbassetttoswindoncycleroute.htm

Ignore
« Reply #13 on: Thursday, August 2, 2012, 10:37:25 »

Used to love cycling from my house in Toothill to my cousins place in Lawn when i was a kid. Great path from there past the old hospital and brings you out in old town opposite the lawns. Only had to cross 2 roads. Must admit I have not taken that path in full for around 18 years now and will have to do it again.
jayohaitchenn
Wielder of the BANHAMMER

« Reply #14 on: Thursday, August 2, 2012, 10:42:28 »

I also cycle to work. Croft trails track has been extended recently. Some decent technical bits and it's about 5.5km long now. Me and a few mates go down a do a couple of laps every saturday. Great fun.
Pages: [1] 2 3 4   Go Up
Print
Jump to: