Pages: [1]   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: Sky broadband wireless connection  (Read 3518 times)
4D
Or not 4D that is the question

I can't bear it 🙄

Ignore
« on: Sunday, July 15, 2012, 21:20:54 »

Just had sky broadband put in. Laptops are fine, but what's the best and cheapest way of setting up desktops for wireless connectivity? Do I get some sort of USB plug in adapter?

Ta.
slinky

i'm lovin' it

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: Sunday, July 15, 2012, 21:24:42 »

Correct or you could use a PCI wireless card if your desktop has a spare slot and you want to save the USB socket for something else.  
« Last Edit: Sunday, July 15, 2012, 22:52:10 by slinky » Logged
Berniman
Sits in front of JFW

Miserable cnut (AKA Happy Clapper)

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: Sunday, July 15, 2012, 22:03:10 »

Just get a USB dongle, cheap as chips and easy to install.

“Everything we hear is an opinion, not a fact. Everything we see is a perspective, not the truth.” ― Marcus Aurelius

When somebody shouts STOP! I never know if it's in the name of love, if it's HAMMER TIME, or if I should collaborate and listen...
stfcinbmth

« Reply #3 on: Monday, July 16, 2012, 04:14:01 »

Homeplugs
Batch
Not a Batch

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: Monday, July 16, 2012, 08:48:53 »

Normal Sky Adsl or Sky fibre optic?

Cabled is always best if you can use it.

I'd use a PCI card if you want to go wireless and have a spare PCI slot. Cost £10-£20

USB dongle works OK too, similar cost and not as resource hungry as they used to be. i.e. the computer had to do more 'work' for a USB dongle than a PCI card but this seems less obvious these days. USB means you can use it on other PCs too.

Homeplugs are great (if they work for you, which they usually will) but are probably the most expensive method ~£30+. I use homeplugs with my desktop and have only had one issue where I needed to reset the plug in over a year. You can get 'passthrough' models allowing you to plug it into the wall, then a plug into it - so you don't lose a power socket.
4D
Or not 4D that is the question

I can't bear it 🙄

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: Monday, July 16, 2012, 09:19:07 »

ADSL. It's for two old desktops.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
Print
Jump to: