Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: The Rooney apologists are a bit quiet tonight  (Read 38814 times)
pericarp
is a nice chap

Ignore
« Reply #45 on: Monday, June 25, 2012, 07:21:03 »

Do people even watch Rooney play for United then?

Jimmy Glass is an Alien

« Reply #46 on: Monday, June 25, 2012, 07:30:39 »

Not at international level but I think he has for United. Won plenty and his record is superb.

Its difficult to say who is and isn't world class in a team sport, which is why comparing players is very difficult. I personally don't rate Rooney, he's a good player but I just don't see how people make him out to be England's saviour.
reeves4england

We'll never die!

Ignore
« Reply #47 on: Monday, June 25, 2012, 10:05:58 »

Its difficult to say who is and isn't world class in a team sport, which is why comparing players is very difficult. I personally don't rate Rooney, he's a good player but I just don't see how people make him out to be England's saviour.

Most people don't. It just comes across that way because they spend so long defending him against those who criticise every negative about him whilst ignoring anything good he does.
DMR

« Reply #48 on: Monday, June 25, 2012, 10:10:00 »

I can't believe some of the stuff I've read on here gobbling Rooney off.

Yes he does it for Utd - last time I checked we aren't Utd fans - performance-wise the bloke has been a total waste of oxygen for England for some time, his ridiculous attitude caused him to get sent off and thus miss games, meaning he wasn't match fit this time around- by the same token, getting sent off against Portugal years ago cost us dear with a petulant stamp.

2004 he had a great tournament - since then he has produced 8 years of mainly fucking tripe for England - remember him spouting off at the fans after a DISGUSTING personal and team performance against Algeria in 2010?

In an England shirt, his attitude stinks, his discipline is appalling and his performances have been dire.

The bloke is a CUNT and anyone who thinks differently, unless you are a plastic Manc, needs their head examined.

Rant over.
DiV
Has also heard this

Joseph McLaughlin

Ignore
« Reply #49 on: Monday, June 25, 2012, 11:27:50 »

Not at international level but I think he has for United. Won plenty and his record is superb.

...winning things isnt a sign of talent. Alan Shearer has been the best english striker in my lifetime and his medal haul isnt very good. Jonathan Greening has a Champions League winners medal and has never played Champions League football.

He's a good player but still not lived up to the hype - at 16 to 18 he had all the tools to become the best player in the world and it just hasnt happened.
Iffy's Onion Bhaji
petulant

Ignore
« Reply #50 on: Monday, June 25, 2012, 12:33:27 »

He falls into the same bracket as the likes of Gerrard, Lampard, Rio, Terry etc who have promised a lot for England but delivered very little.
tans
You spin me right round baby right round

Ignore
« Reply #51 on: Monday, June 25, 2012, 12:34:35 »

I love you Dave.

(I do agree with your post)
jonny72

Ignore
« Reply #52 on: Monday, June 25, 2012, 12:46:32 »

Main problem is that Rooney doesn't seem to fit with the rest of the England team. It's fine at club level where you can build a team and tactics around a few star players but you don't always have that option at international level. Think our main problem in recent years has been playing our best players and forcing the rest of the team around them.
Simon Pieman
Original Wanker

« Reply #53 on: Monday, June 25, 2012, 12:52:54 »

Rooney would feature in most squads at international level, even Spain have taken Torres to the Euros and played him when he has been a pile of shit for Liverpool (in his final season) and Chelsea.

He hasn't performed but should be made a scapegoat because others didn't perform either - Ashley Young was awful all tournament.

I also think the lack of out-and-out strikers is indicative of the nature of football in this country, in fact the way we played too. Strikers aren't there just to score goals but there is a massive emphasis on holding up the ball and bringing in others in the English game. Post-Owen we've not had a striker who is there to grab goals, well Defoe and Bent were brought in with that in mind but they weren't up to it.

We always look at our best players and want them to be game changers but at the top level you need quite a few of them!
singingiiiffy

Ignore
« Reply #54 on: Monday, June 25, 2012, 13:08:28 »

...winning things isnt a sign of talent. Alan Shearer has been the best english striker in my lifetime and his medal haul isnt very good. Jonathan Greening has a Champions League winners medal and has never played Champions League football.

He's a good player but still not lived up to the hype - at 16 to 18 he had all the tools to become the best player in the world and it just hasnt happened.

you dont become man utds 4th highest scorer at the age of 26 being "good". countless player of the year awards- england/prem voted by fans/players. Score ratio of 1 in 3 internationally. Score 199 in 314 appearances at club level etc etc etc.

He doesnt fit in with england team? How many of englands best do? Is it the manager or the player, no one can ever question rooneys effort and desire to win.  He is 26!!

When shearer was 26 just before euro 96 he had scored 5 in 20 odd games for england.  Fucking baffling thread.
Abrahammer

A legitimate dude sighting

Ignore
« Reply #55 on: Monday, June 25, 2012, 13:39:44 »

Some of the statements on here saying he shouldn't play for England are embaraasingly ridiculous.

I wonder how many other "shit" international strikers there are with a 1 in 3 goal to game ratio at international level.

It's all very well saying that Rooney should be ditched but look at the other striking options we have, fucking dire in comparison.  I'll take the 26 y/o with a proven goalscoring at club & international level throughout his career.
Benzel

Ignore
« Reply #56 on: Monday, June 25, 2012, 13:42:09 »

Dump Rooney.

You idiots.

Is your cat making too much noise all the time?
carbonwhite

Ignore
« Reply #57 on: Monday, June 25, 2012, 14:10:04 »

Although Shearer hardly won any silverware in his football career he was consistent when he did play, and he scored important goals for england at big tournys, Rooney hasnt achieved international consistency, and im not saying dont play him im saying he needs to improve his match performance well in an england shirt.

kerry red

« Reply #58 on: Monday, June 25, 2012, 14:16:42 »

Nobody is right or wrong ref Rooney - it's just opinions.

Mine is that he has now proven in more than one tournament that he does not reproduce his club form for England - and he's not the only one.

He may well have a decent scoring ratio against the minnows in qualifying but England really do need to be stepping up in tournament finals.

So just how many more games does he have to play - contributing very little - before the penny drops.
walcot red

Ignore
« Reply #59 on: Monday, June 25, 2012, 14:24:31 »

Nobody is right or wrong ref Rooney - it's just opinions.

Mine is that he has now proven in more than one tournament that he does not reproduce his club form for England - and he's not the only one.

He may well have a decent scoring ratio against the minnows in qualifying but England really do need to be stepping up in tournament finals.

So just how many more games does he have to play - contributing very little - before the penny drops.

This is true, but if he was dropped for a tornament. There would be uproar in the media and the general public
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6   Go Up
Print
Jump to: