Pages: 1 ... 9 10 11 [12] 13 14   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: England v Italy match thread.  (Read 69936 times)
Reg Smeeton
Walking Encyclopaedia

Ignore
« Reply #165 on: Monday, June 25, 2012, 16:40:10 »

I don't buy the need for a mid-season break argument, even if there was one the clubs would just organise more friendlies, or the number of cup games would end up being increased.

There are plenty of other sports that have longer playing seasons than the PL, baseball and basketball in the US being good examples. The difference is that in other sports the clubs manage their players workload a lot better, rather than driving them to physical exhaustion.

So we don't need less competitive games, just more responsibility from the PL clubs.

There are plenty of other sports where players speak out about burn out, for example in tennis, where they had some sort of strike, or at least a threat, a while back.

The PL clubs are happy with things just the way they are....they don't give a shit about England...and like the fact the helter skelter nature of the Prem, attracts a global audience, whereas the more measured style of other national leagues doesn't.

The FA, originally endorsed the Prem breakaway on the basis it would be good for the national side, unfortunately the FA is now toothless, so doesn't have the clout to make the necessary changes, so the whole thing will continue to repeat on a biennial cycle.
DRS

« Reply #166 on: Monday, June 25, 2012, 18:00:52 »

What we need is better coaching at a young level.Everyone was banging on about we are crying out for a player like pirlo,we got one.
OOH! SHAUN TAYLOR
- FACT!

Ignore
« Reply #167 on: Monday, June 25, 2012, 18:03:32 »

What we need is better coaching at a young level.Everyone was banging on about we are crying out for a player like pirlo,we got one.
People have been saying this for at least the last 40 years to my knowledge and yet nothing ever changes.
Kinky Tom
Snow Master Sandwich King.

Ignore
« Reply #168 on: Monday, June 25, 2012, 18:11:14 »

i thought the reform was announced 3 weeks ago
jonny72

Ignore
« Reply #169 on: Monday, June 25, 2012, 18:15:52 »

The PL clubs are happy with things just the way they are....they don't give a shit about England...and like the fact the helter skelter nature of the Prem, attracts a global audience, whereas the more measured style of other national leagues doesn't.

I'm not saying the PL clubs should rest players for summer international tournaments but it's in their interests for players not to suffer from burn out and the inevitable injuries that follow. Maybe things will change a bit now that players are being insured at major tournaments and the clubs are seeing more of the money.
janaage
People's Front of Alba

Ignore
« Reply #170 on: Monday, June 25, 2012, 18:17:56 »

What England need is bigger cocks.

https://p.twimg.com/AwQK1ULCAAAptrm.jpg:large

Ignore
« Reply #171 on: Monday, June 25, 2012, 22:13:39 »

What like the dutch model that has been bigged up for years? Didn't do them much good.
The better coaching thing is not the problem imo,not at the top English clubs at least.

England are a second tier football nation and have always been that in my lifetime. Means we get close and may get the odd success but generally are a bit behind the top countries. Don't think anything will change that myself
« Last Edit: Monday, June 25, 2012, 22:36:58 by arriba » Logged
DRS

« Reply #172 on: Tuesday, June 26, 2012, 06:30:56 »

Not like the dutch no.I would like us to at least start teaching our youngsters how to keep the ball. They may get the better coaching at top clubs but problem is by the time they get to the top clubs they are 14/15 the type of players they are is already determined
london_red

Ignore
« Reply #173 on: Tuesday, June 26, 2012, 06:57:09 »

Think the coaching in this country is definitely an issue, maybe bar a tiny percentage at the very top clubs.

These numbers are a little out of date I think but illustrate the point -

Number of UEFA 'A' and 'B' licensed coaches:

England - 2,796

Spain - 23,995

Italy - 29,240

Germany - 34,970
Bob's Orange
Has brain escape barriers

Ignore
« Reply #174 on: Tuesday, June 26, 2012, 07:16:00 »

What like the dutch model that has been bigged up for years? Didn't do them much good.
The better coaching thing is not the problem imo,not at the top English clubs at least.

England are a second tier football nation and have always been that in my lifetime. Means we get close and may get the odd success but generally are a bit behind the top countries. Don't think anything will change that myself

But we do have the best league in the world!

we've been to Aberdeen, we hate the Hibs, they make us spew up, so make some noise,
the gorgie boys, for Hearts in Europe.
Sippo
Living in the 80s

I ain't gettin on no plane fool

Ignore
« Reply #175 on: Tuesday, June 26, 2012, 07:19:21 »

With a lot of foreign players...

If my calculations are correct, when this baby hits 88 miles per hour, you're gonna see some serious shit...
Nomoreheroes
The Moral Majority

Ignore
« Reply #176 on: Tuesday, June 26, 2012, 07:20:18 »

But we do have the best league in the world!
Which is made up mostly of overpaid foreigners.

You're my incurable malady. I miss the pleasure of your company.
Bob's Orange
Has brain escape barriers

Ignore
« Reply #177 on: Tuesday, June 26, 2012, 07:30:52 »

Glad we're all on the same page!!

we've been to Aberdeen, we hate the Hibs, they make us spew up, so make some noise,
the gorgie boys, for Hearts in Europe.
RWB Robin

Ignore
« Reply #178 on: Tuesday, June 26, 2012, 08:19:21 »

Anyone notice how few English throw-ins reach their intended target?  Italian throws became an intergal part of their superiority - they used them to create chances.  I think this is symptomatic of the problem - players do not want to receive the ball and instead of moving positively into space make it almost impossible for the thrower to get it to them.  The constant 'patient build-up' - or in other words, crossing backwards and forwards across the back line, or back to the GK (Of which Jamie Carragher used to be the supreme example) gives opponents all the time they need to close down the options.  Then  watch the Spanish - or the Italians for that matter, the close passing always to targets moving forward... and you have the key difference - and I think that's confidence.  Yes, Gerrard was brilliant at long cross-field passes from time to time, but generally the moves from defence, once they happened, tended to be half-hearted kicks half way up the field.  This became slightly more effective, potentially, when Carroll came on. because he is brilliant at winning the ball in the air (like Benson at STFC) and holding it...the trouble is he can't distribute it either!!

matt_jada

Ignore
« Reply #179 on: Tuesday, June 26, 2012, 10:04:06 »

Wasn't just Hart trying desperately to put him off, take a look behind the goal  Clap

* MQ4wuf.jpeg (153.01 KB, 1024x678 - viewed 391 times.)
Pages: 1 ... 9 10 11 [12] 13 14   Go Up
Print
Jump to: