Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: Mixed Feelings?  (Read 5821 times)
Nomoreheroes
The Moral Majority

Ignore
« on: Tuesday, June 19, 2012, 22:19:52 »

Think I have mixed feelings about the way that things are going at SN1.

Last year was glorious, in so much as we had a proper clear out and seemed to start again from scratch. I really admired the club for this as I think it was a bold move to removed the cancer. Then, it seemed as if we turned into Blackburn Rovers. Bringing in Holmes, McEverley and Bostock seemed a little over the top and I think contributed to us losing a Cup Final. But thats not my point...............

I'm excited about these 'better quality' players that are signing for us, but part of me doesn't like the MLB/NFL/NBA approach that we seem to be adopting ie Buying a team. I guess I wouldn't be keen to see wholesale changes in personnel both this year and next, perhaps, in order to secure back to back to back promotions.

There's part of me that pines for a run like in the 80s when the core team from the 4th division stayed with the club through to the Premiership. Upgrades were done along the way, but they were subtle rather than wholesale.

I guess I'm saying it would be more satisfying to win League 1 by improving the players that we currently have rather than buying success.

You're my incurable malady. I miss the pleasure of your company.
Not that Nice If I'm Honest

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: Tuesday, June 19, 2012, 22:27:47 »

Think I have mixed feelings about the way that things are going at SN1.

Last year was glorious, in so much as we had a proper clear out and seemed to start again from scratch. I really admired the club for this as I think it was a bold move to removed the cancer. Then, it seemed as if we turned into Blackburn Rovers. Bringing in Holmes, McEverley and Bostock seemed a little over the top and I think contributed to us losing a Cup Final. But thats not my point...............

I'm excited about these 'better quality' players that are signing for us, but part of me doesn't like the MLB/NFL/NBA approach that we seem to be adopting ie Buying a team. I guess I wouldn't be keen to see wholesale changes in personnel both this year and next, perhaps, in order to secure back to back to back promotions.

Dreamer

There's part of me that pines for a run like in the 80s when the core team from the 4th division stayed with the club through to the Premiership. Upgrades were done along the way, but they were subtle rather than wholesale.

I guess I'm saying it would be more satisfying to win League 1 by improving the players that we currently have rather than buying success.

wiggy
Whippet fancying, T-shirt flogging cunt

Whippet Fancier

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: Tuesday, June 19, 2012, 22:30:22 »

We have signed 3 out of contract players so far. Hardly spending big.

I think it is exciting that we seem to be trying to build a young (by and large) and talented squad. Hopefully it is a squad that can grow together and create some proper club legends. Wouldn't it be good to sit here in a couple of seasons and be able to say that the likes of Caddis, Ritchie and Ferry have played for us more times than David Duke and Jerel Ifil?

Thank [insert deity of choice] for beer and peanuts
jonny72

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: Tuesday, June 19, 2012, 23:21:00 »

PDC's approach seems to be one of constant improvement. If he finds someone who is better than what he's got he'll sign them, on loan if necessary. This was most evident towards the end of last season when he was still signing new players even though we were running away with the league.

Don't see a problem with it myself. We're not spending crazy money, just buying sensibly. Plus we're building a squad for the Championship and we're still a long way off from having the players that could compete at that level.
RWB Robin

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: Tuesday, June 19, 2012, 23:34:47 »

We don't know yet who is leaving, but its reasonable to say that most would agree that not all those who served the team last season have the capacity to improve significantly.  In those circumstances, I don't think it is unreasonable, given that we are certainly keeping a substantial group of good players - Fodders, Caddis, Flint, Devera, McCormack, Ritchie, Ferry, Rooney, Benson, plus at least some of the others - maybe da Vita, Risser, Thompson.., that we bring in others, whether its 3, 4, 6 or whatever, that will keep the team moving forwards.  It is not like Blackburn when they were first promoted to the PL, who virtually got rid of the whole team which had got them there....
Batch
Not a Batch

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: Wednesday, June 20, 2012, 06:56:54 »

My worry isn't that we are buying the league. Its not like we are buying players that are so obviously too good for league 1 - there is no guarantee we will be anywhere near the playoffs. There is a gap between league 2 and 1, ask Chesterfield. Some of our current players probably aren't good enough for top of league 1 but were good squad players for league 2.

My worry is the financial sustainability of buying such players and what we will happen if we don't succeed in chasing the Championship dream in the next year or two. Wray is no idiot and has obviously committed a fair whack of the consortium dough on this to an agreed budget. But after decades of kick in the balls followed by kick in the balls I think most fans have this fear in the back of the mind.

Meh, I'll enjoy the ride and worry about it stopping if and when it does.
Nomoreheroes
The Moral Majority

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: Wednesday, June 20, 2012, 07:07:43 »

A dreamer, maybe.

I'm also hoping that Roberts isn't another Gareth Whalley, Neil Ruddock, David Geddis etc etc

You're my incurable malady. I miss the pleasure of your company.

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: Wednesday, June 20, 2012, 08:11:31 »

We had to strengthen the squad to get out of league 2. It's clear that we need to do this again to get out of league 1. I'm glad we are in a postion to do this. Im glad we have a big name manager and board who back him to the hilt with money.
Tails

Git facked

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: Wednesday, June 20, 2012, 08:18:08 »

You should always aim to improve IMO. If better quality players are available then take them, no point resting on why we've got as for once the club is ambitious and the current crop won't get us out of league one!
Flashheart

« Reply #9 on: Wednesday, June 20, 2012, 08:19:41 »

I had doubts about whether or not we need the number of players being cited, but seeing the quality coming in I think there's nowt to complain about. Provided we don't spend massively beyond our means and there is a wage cap in L1. Also, the board have set a target to be in the CH in 3 yrs, so they are not heel bent (although eager) on going up at the first time of asking.

We'll probably get rid of a few more as well...... Bodon, Connell Kerrouche, Smith/Risser/Cox.
Ardiles

Stirlingshire Reds

Ignore
« Reply #10 on: Wednesday, June 20, 2012, 08:28:29 »

Before my time, but I agree that Macari's side had a spine that stayed with the club as we went up through the leagues.  But do we not also have that now?  If we are a Championship club in two years from now, I think it's perfectly feasible that Caddis, Ritchie, Ferry, Foderingham, Rooney could all still be there.  All players who would have had a role in the 2011/12 Division Four title winning season and who, potentially, could still be playing for the club two divisions higher up.

I think you may be overstating the point.  Again, I cannot verify because I was not around when it happened, but I'm sure I can remember someone making the point on here not so long ago that Macari also undertook some significant squad rebuilding in the summer of 1986.
@MacPhlea

Ignore
« Reply #11 on: Wednesday, June 20, 2012, 08:35:08 »

Additionally, with a year left to run on his contract, Magera may well be given a chance to prove himself at L1 level.  I don't think L2 lent itself to his style of play and with a bit more open football could see him take off...
Barnard

Ignore
« Reply #12 on: Wednesday, June 20, 2012, 08:45:16 »

I'll be quite happy if PDC's signings for L1 do as well as Lou's new boy's did after winning Div 4.

Off the top of my head, Digby, Quinn, Chalky, Phil King and Tim Parkin all came in either in the summer or during the course of that season.
LucienSanchez

Is this hospital called St. Croc of Shit?!

Ignore
« Reply #13 on: Wednesday, June 20, 2012, 08:52:51 »

My only slight concern is that in recent memory, exciting signings have been a huge letdown  (Prutton, Cureton, some others)... i'm hopeful that this year they will live up to expectations.

We made a promise we swore we'd always remember... no retreat, baby, no surrender
kaufman

« Reply #14 on: Wednesday, June 20, 2012, 09:21:23 »

I mentioned before it's all about getting players who are hungry to succeed, Williams and Collins come into that without doubt, I'm always dubious of players coming from higher leagues like mentioned above.

Young and hungry is best but we do need experience to know how to win games in this division.
Navarro and Roberts will give us as their previous clubs seem to suggest they have the right mentality.

I think that's why we might see an experienced centre back come in at some point also.

Still a young squad though overall.

Trying to think of the last goal scoring centre mid we had in the mould of Mcloughlin?
Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Up
Print
Jump to: