Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: Worst away day  (Read 12277 times)
leefer

Ignore
« Reply #45 on: Monday, June 11, 2012, 19:44:52 »

Worst away day x2. Left London on train for the original game, booked in to Manchester hotel, headed to Bolton to be told by cab driver the game was off due to rain, as was Palace v Liverpool that I thought at least I could watch in the hotel. Went up for re-arranged game and it all seemed worth it until John McGinlay ruined everything!

Yep....that first matchday was incredible because when we arrived it was a hot day....then the heavens opened and it was abandoned....i actually drove a box lorry to the first one with about 6 town fans in transit.....when i arrived they were white,,it was bumpy ride.
Suffice to say on getting home i was told by a couple of them in no uncertain terms that i could fuck my lorry for the rearanged game.......free trip or not Cheesy
Uncletrunx

Ignore
« Reply #46 on: Monday, June 11, 2012, 21:37:51 »

Reading, April 1995 (Might even have been April Fool's Day)

Lost 3-0, had to look for Elm Park for ages as I couldn't believe that it was a league ground; we had a gloating Shaka Hislop in front of us and to top it all, we broke down on the way home.

"Absolute Calamity!"
Shaw Rosso

Ignore
« Reply #47 on: Monday, June 11, 2012, 23:22:55 »

Pikies away a few years back. Got hammered 5 something or another, pelted with stones and coins by the Tyson Fury Family Stand and 5 hours getting home after thinking anti clockwise on the M25 would be a winner
stfc11

Ignore
« Reply #48 on: Monday, June 11, 2012, 23:46:09 »

For me has to be Cheltenham away in 2002, with Parkin getting sent off and Heywood and Gurney arguing with the fans. Was my first away game, left straight from school and was so excited! Then I had to witness that! Remember Parkin sliding in for the tackle which he got sent off for and when the referee ran over to send him off he slipped over too straight into Parkin, and Parkin tried to argue the fact that it was the water on pitch not his actual speed/aggression which had made his tackle look worse, ref was having none of it though! Walked back to the car and I asked my Dad where we were going for our next away game, he thought I'd be put off for life after watching that!
fatbasher

« Reply #49 on: Tuesday, June 12, 2012, 06:59:36 »

Last season - Macclesfield away on the friday night. Dreadful.

Not pleasant was it....
Only Me

Ignore
« Reply #50 on: Tuesday, June 12, 2012, 07:22:10 »

Leicester away in the 80s. Winning 2-0 with something like 5 mins to go and lost 3-2.

Second worst has to be losing away at Shrewsbury 1-0 when Kamara twatted Jim Melrose.
The Leicester away match was a poor ending. The year later we were 3-0 up at half time and drew 3-3
Ardiles

Stirlingshire Reds

Ignore
« Reply #51 on: Tuesday, June 12, 2012, 09:02:18 »

Getting tonked 3-0 at the Manor Ground in 1996 wasn't a lot of fun.  Beauchamp had been back with them for a while by that point and played a blinder against us.

Interesting to see that no one has any of our games there in the Best Away Day thread...even though we've had some cracking results there over the years.  But Oxford has always been a crap away day.  The hostility, being herded around and the lack of decent pubs in the vicinity - not a lot of fun.  There are so many better places to go and watch football.  For me, Oxford (A) means you go there, you watch the game and then you leave again.
animalwilliams

Ignore
« Reply #52 on: Thursday, June 14, 2012, 09:12:39 »

Wolves League Cup Semi Final 1980 has to be the worst as we were robbed by a totally incompetent or bent Referee. Perfectly good goal by Billy Tucker ruled out followed by the worst foul by a keeper I have ever seen and the clown failed to send him off.
A gloating Emlyn Hughes interview on the radio after the match in which he called us dirty side just made it the worst for me. 
kerry red

« Reply #53 on: Thursday, June 14, 2012, 09:30:46 »

Lot more posts on the 'Worst Away Day' than the 'Best Away Day'.

Just goes to show what people actually remember best
Forza_Swindon

Ignore
« Reply #54 on: Thursday, June 14, 2012, 09:42:18 »

Sunderland at Roker Park, Apr '95 - I seem to remember we got relegated from Div 1 that day.  We were on open terracing, it was freezing, chucking down with rain and blowing a gale (probably a lovely spring day for them).  Soaking and miserable 6-hour car journey home.

Also, both the outings to Bolton for the league cup as previously mentioned in this thread.  Got to Keele the first time before turning round and coming home, then the second time was just nasty.  Jon McGinley, horrible ground, freezing weather, being kept in at the end when it started to snow and I think the Fjortoft situation was starting to get serious.  That was the only time I've ever cried at football.  Still makes me gloomy thinking about it!
Kinky Tom
Snow Master Sandwich King.

Ignore
« Reply #55 on: Thursday, June 14, 2012, 09:51:22 »

Sunderland at Roker Park, Apr '95 - I seem to remember we got relegated from Div 1 that day.  We were on open terracing, it was freezing, chucking down with rain and blowing a gale (probably a lovely spring day for them).  Soaking and miserable 6-hour car journey home.

i was there, don't think we were actually relegated that day but given that sunderland were the other side that could have gone down it basically sealed our fate, i think we got relegated the following game - i have a feeling it was against portsmouth?  it was a thouroughly miserable day though.
Bedford Red

Smithers Jones

Ignore
« Reply #56 on: Thursday, June 14, 2012, 11:18:23 »

As lots of obvious ones have been mentioned many times already (and rightly so), i'll go for Peterborough away in Nov 2000 (just after Todd had left from memory). Horrbible day weather wise, we got tanked 4-0, for one goal (from memory) Griemak and Robinson collided gifting them one goal, i couldn't see anything but relegation after that day, and only thanks to Bristol Rovers did we avoid it anyway....

Also Luton away in the Simod Cup semi in 88, i was in with the Luton fans after going with some people from work, and the fact that i thought we had blown a chance of ever seeing my team at Wembley (this was before they changed the play-off finals to Wembley). And we gave them a good game that night as well, second half we were all over them....
Ardiles

Stirlingshire Reds

Ignore
« Reply #57 on: Thursday, June 14, 2012, 11:46:28 »

How could I forget?  Bristol Rovers (A) in 2007.  Promotion was a possibility that day.  But we left with a defeat, no promotion (that day) and having narrowly avoided a violent beating from a pack of baseball bat wielding, feral thugs at the Inn on the Green in Horfield.  Now I think about it, this was probably my worst ever away day.
nevillew
Tripping the light puntastic

Ignore
« Reply #58 on: Thursday, June 14, 2012, 13:20:52 »

Also Luton away in the Simod Cup semi in 88, i was in with the Luton fans after going with some people from work, and the fact that i thought we had blown a chance of ever seeing my team at Wembley (this was before they changed the play-off finals to Wembley). And we gave them a good game that night as well, second half we were all over them....
Play to the whistle Bamber !

Paolo Di Canio, it's Paolo Di Canio
Forza_Swindon

Ignore
« Reply #59 on: Thursday, June 14, 2012, 14:33:15 »

i was there, don't think we were actually relegated that day but given that sunderland were the other side that could have gone down it basically sealed our fate, i think we got relegated the following game - i have a feeling it was against portsmouth?  it was a thouroughly miserable day though.

Ah, well quite possibly one of those "mathematical" situations then - I remember thinking the only good thing about the end to that season was that we were gong to finish above City.  Clutching at straws springs to mind!

Really nasty day anyway!
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6   Go Up
Print
Jump to: