Pages: 1 ... 13 14 15 [16] 17 18   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: Birds  (Read 58904 times)
Samdy Gray
Dirty sneaky traitor weasel

Ignore
« Reply #225 on: Wednesday, April 21, 2021, 14:27:31 »

We get loads in our garden. Mostly pigeons, starlings and sparrows. The occasional blue tit. We've discovered none of them like the pre-formed balls you put in the feeder, but they went mad for cherry flavoured suet pellets.

I don't mind the pigeons so much, but I've two trees to the front of my house and they do like to sit in them and shit on the cars on the driveway.

We were sat out in the garden yesterday and a sparrowhawk made a dive for a pigeon, I could actually hear a "whoosh" as it dived. Pretty cool. It didn't catch the pigeon, mind.
RobertT

Ignore
« Reply #226 on: Wednesday, April 21, 2021, 14:50:11 »

I know Flasheart will win this one, but we get loads of wildlife.

Most often it's Robins, but I also get Cardinals (who tease our cat) and we get circled by Falcons quite a bit.

The garden is also home to Squirrels and Chipmunks, with the odd time a family of deer ,and the road is the usual resting place of Armadillos.

Just this week we had a snake on the drive, only a tiny little thing and we get Scorpions fairly often, again only small ones that shoe can take care of.

Our cat has been seen by the neighbour trying to chase off a Coyote.
« Last Edit: Wednesday, April 21, 2021, 15:01:35 by RobertT » Logged
Bob's Orange
Has brain escape barriers

Ignore
« Reply #227 on: Wednesday, April 21, 2021, 15:09:43 »

Cheers for the feedback. The mesh looks a useful tool for the windows but as we often sit with the door wide open would probably be a pointless addition! Smiley

As with others on here, I don't necessarily mind the pigeons that much, they tend to leave the other smaller birds alone and just hang around waiting for the food to be dropped on the floor. I guess its just the shit that I do mind. I think I'll just have to learn to live with what we have.

The other day a couple of magpies were 'digging' with their beaks at the bottom of one of the walls. I noticed there were small puddles where they had got into and assume were looking for worms or something. The wife was saying that magpies are bastard birds, is this the case?

I have to say that working at home now and having the noise of constant birdsong (even the pigeon coo!!) through the window beats the drone of the London traffic crashing past any day of the week! The tree the feeders are in lure in blue/great tits, robins, pigeons and other smaller brownish birds which I haven't yet established what they are yet.

we've been to Aberdeen, we hate the Hibs, they make us spew up, so make some noise,
the gorgie boys, for Hearts in Europe.
BambooToTheFuture

I'll Tell Ya Now - McGurk Is The New Graham

Ignore
« Reply #228 on: Wednesday, April 21, 2021, 15:48:49 »

I have to say that working at home now and having the noise of constant birdsong (even the pigeon coo!!) through the window beats the drone of the London traffic crashing past any day of the week! The tree the feeders are in lure in blue/great tits, robins, pigeons and other smaller brownish birds which I haven't yet established what they are yet.

They might be Jenny. As in a Wren. Smaller than a Robin in size? Lovely birdsong from them. Tuneful little buggars and skip about amongst shrubs. Whack in something like Hebe and Escallonia. Will keep the wasps a bit busier as well as bring in more bees. Plus when in flower they both smell fantastic.

Gotta make that garden a fully sensory one Mr Orange Smiley

'Incessant Nonsense'

'I'm gonna tell you the secret.
There's a threat, you end it and you don't feel ashamed about enjoying it.
You smell the gunpowder and you see the blood, you know what that means?
It means you're alive. You've won.
You take the heads so that you don't ever forget.'
Bob's Orange

Ignore
« Reply #229 on: Wednesday, April 21, 2021, 16:05:14 »

They might be Jenny. As in a Wren. Smaller than a Robin in size? Lovely birdsong from them. Tuneful little buggars and skip about amongst shrubs. Whack in something like Hebe and Escallonia. Will keep the wasps a bit busier as well as bring in more bees. Plus when in flower they both smell fantastic.

Gotta make that garden a fully sensory one Mr Orange Smiley

Yeah I think it might be a Wren actually. That's exactly the behaviour that you described.

soapy tit wank, the previous owners were clearly very green fingered as the garden was immaculate. Just hoping to keep some of the flora and fauna alive!!

we've been to Aberdeen, we hate the Hibs, they make us spew up, so make some noise,
BambooToTheFuture

I'll Tell Ya Now - McGurk Is The New Graham

Ignore
« Reply #230 on: Wednesday, April 21, 2021, 16:32:22 »

Yeah I think it might be a Wren actually. That's exactly the behaviour that you described.

soapy tit wank, the previous owners were clearly very green fingered as the garden was immaculate. Just hoping to keep some of the flora and fauna alive!!

Ahh nice! We have the Oystercatchers peep-peep-peeeep ing and the Ruddy Turnstones trilling. As well as the Gannets giving it a good old screech. The Turnstones really are amazing to watch - flipping lumps of chalk over that are definitely heavier than them!

Ahh you'll be right, keep it fed and watered and should be no probs. Especially in an already established garden too Smiley

Talking of Gannets. Can't remember if I popped this one on here before but here's one of my fave shots taken of a Gannet in flight giving me evils as it was on the hunt for some grub!

* FlightOrFight.jpg (144.07 KB, 3653x1937 - viewed 88 times.)
« Last Edit: Wednesday, April 21, 2021, 16:34:30 by bamboonoclue » Logged

'Incessant Nonsense'

'I'm gonna tell you the secret.
There's a threat, you end it and you don't feel ashamed about enjoying it.
You smell the gunpowder and you see the blood, you know what that means?
It means you're alive. You've won.
You take the heads so that you don't ever forget.'
TheDukeOfBanbury

Ignore
« Reply #231 on: Wednesday, April 21, 2021, 16:42:14 »

Putting tarpaulins up at the Windows each night.
We have a crow that is attacking its own shadow in them as dawn breaks.
Even drawing blood in its attacks. Nests nearby and they get very territorial.

Nesting nuthatches, goldfinches, blue Tits, great tits and plenty of others in the garden.
I feed every day, the garden is alive with such a variety.
Goldcrest and Blackcap visit this Morning.
Bogus Dave
Ate my own dick

Ignore
« Reply #232 on: Wednesday, April 21, 2021, 18:00:58 »

We had a woodpecker in our garden the other week and I lost. My. Shit.

Things get better but they never get good
stfcjack

The Swindon lot don't seem to respect you

Ignore
« Reply #233 on: Thursday, April 22, 2021, 09:23:38 »

We have one of those wildlife cameras in our garden, amazing what we capture on it! Live in the middle of Covingham and regularly we get a couple of hedgehogs, a mouse and a fox visiting most nights! Also a blue tit has started nesting in one of our boxes!
Bennett
No Comment

Ignore
« Reply #234 on: Thursday, April 22, 2021, 10:22:14 »

We've got some pigeons making a nest in our hedgerow. I might set up a camera and prove baby pigeons exist

This is the water.
And this is the well.
Drink full and descend.
The horse is the white of the eyes and dark within.
Flashheart

« Reply #235 on: Thursday, April 22, 2021, 10:27:57 »

We've got some pigeons making a nest in our hedgerow. I might set up a camera and prove baby pigeons exist

I see baby pigeons quite often as they have a habit of nesting in plant pots on balconies.

Ugly fuckers!
pauld
Aaron Aardvark

Absolute Calamity!

Ignore
« Reply #236 on: Thursday, April 22, 2021, 11:38:09 »

We had a woodpecker in our garden the other week and I lost. My. Shit.
Have you tried looking in the cat litter pile? Might be in there.
4D
Or not 4D that is the question

I can't bear it 🙄

Ignore
« Reply #237 on: Thursday, April 22, 2021, 11:44:21 »

Bob's Orange

Ignore
« Reply #238 on: Thursday, June 3, 2021, 10:49:33 »

The plastic owls we bought and popped into the garden don't stop the pigeons popping in to mop up the seeds that have been dropped from the bird feeders. We try and get rid of them as much as possible but they make a hideous mess on the lawn, dirty feckers.

On a more positive note we have a family of blue tits that have made their homes in our bird boxes. I had a little look over the weekend and I'm sure I heard the tiny tweets of baby birds coming from it. I was a little too close as the mother came back and parked herself into the bush until I moved a couple of steps back. Only then would she pop into the box. Quite often I spend time just watching them coming and going into their box, there is something majestic about it. Funnily enough on a local news item they talked to the Springwatch pair and they said that Blue Tits hadn't been able to feed their young properly due to the rainy may. Hopefully ours will be ok and get the food they need.

I also love how the robins come and land so close to us when we are in the garden. Such amazing little birds.

4D
Or not 4D that is the question

I can't bear it 🙄

Ignore
« Reply #239 on: Thursday, June 3, 2021, 10:56:41 »

Better the pigeons mop it up instead of the rats  Wink
Pages: 1 ... 13 14 15 [16] 17 18   Go Up
Print
Jump to: