Pages: 1 2 3 4 [5] 6 7 8 ... 18   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: Birds  (Read 58892 times)
Flashheart

« Reply #60 on: Thursday, January 3, 2013, 12:37:28 »

Saw what looked like a parrot on my balcony today. Dunno if it was wild or maybe a lost pet.
sonicyouth

Ignore
« Reply #61 on: Thursday, January 3, 2013, 19:35:06 »

Spent the day at Slimbridge, fantastic numbers of birds and decent weather too.
Gnasher

Prefers animals to people (in a non sexual way)

Ignore
« Reply #62 on: Thursday, January 3, 2013, 19:44:40 »

First Green Woodpecker for the garden today. Also the first Grey Squirrel (I know it's not a bird)

Cats are better than dogs FACT
red socks

« Reply #63 on: Thursday, January 3, 2013, 19:53:23 »

Saw a redish bird of prey hunting in front of me the other day that I think was a Marsh Harrier, didnt get my camera out in time and if darted off, beautiful looking bird would have been an amazing photo ....
Reg Smeeton
Walking Encyclopaedia

Ignore
« Reply #64 on: Sunday, February 17, 2013, 19:12:24 »

The highlight of today's walk...disturbing a snipe in the flooded fields just off the Old Ridgeway, south of Burderop Down.  Handsome looking bird, not common in this part of the world...only ever seen a pair once before, a good few years ago.

[url width=612 height=431]http://www.shropshirebirds.com/ess_bap/bap_Common_Snipe.jpg[/url]

Not my photo...not quite in the whimbrel/curlew stakes when it comes to silly beaks, but comes close.
Reg Smeeton
Walking Encyclopaedia

Ignore
« Reply #65 on: Monday, April 15, 2013, 15:54:23 »

Today's bird of interest. The common tern. It's a shame they're called common, because they're not as common as say the common gull.

Saw 4 or 5 down at Coate earlier....swooping and diving looking for fish. Their problem was not being able to find any.

I've watched them before at the coast diving for sand eels...a fantastic aviator. Apparently they arrive in April having migrated, don't know where from mind.

Think they're often overlooked becasue people think it's just another gull

[url width=700 height=467]http://www.stephenburch.com/oxonpics/Common%20Tern%202%20PM%205%20Jul%2008sm.jpg[/url]
TheDukeOfBanbury

Ignore
« Reply #66 on: Monday, April 15, 2013, 16:01:13 »

Nice picture.

We had a Reed Bunting in the garden last week and yesterday heard and saw my first 2 Chiffchaff's.
Spring is here.

No sign of the Curlew on the Cherwell yet.
Reg Smeeton
Walking Encyclopaedia

Ignore
« Reply #67 on: Monday, April 15, 2013, 16:13:01 »

Nice picture.

We had a Reed Bunting in the garden last week and yesterday heard and saw my first 2 Chiffchaff's.
Spring is here.

No sign of the Curlew on the Cherwell yet.

I have to admit, that I'm hopeless on warblers, so wouldn't know a chiff chaff from a willow warbler.

I just try and listen to the song and call it a warbler.  Plenty of activity today, as it warms up..
« Last Edit: Monday, April 15, 2013, 16:15:06 by Reg Smeeton » Logged
RedRag

Ignore
« Reply #68 on: Monday, April 15, 2013, 17:03:12 »

Saw what looked like a parrot on my balcony today. Dunno if it was wild or maybe a lost pet.
we get to see parakeets here in Surrey which have fared rather too well as wild birds
http://news.bbc.co.uk/local/surrey/hi/people_and_places/nature/newsid_8286000/8286707.stm
Bogus Dave
Ate my own dick

Ignore
« Reply #69 on: Monday, April 15, 2013, 17:08:04 »

In the winter after it rained there were loads of wading birds in the fields between beckhampton and devizes. No idea what they were, but it was odd to see

Things get better but they never get good
Samdy Gray
Dirty sneaky traitor weasel

Ignore
« Reply #70 on: Monday, April 15, 2013, 17:11:20 »

Saw a Sparrowhawk as I was driving to Purton yesterday.

Also caught glimpse of a rather large bird as I drove home from work today. Didn't see the body as it swooped below a hedge, but the wings were a light brown and darkened toward the tips. Any ideas?
Ginginho

Ignore
« Reply #71 on: Monday, April 15, 2013, 17:40:47 »

Possibly a kestrel, they are quite often seen hovering on the sides of roads.
I often see them on the A419 on my drive to Gloucester every day.
Reg Smeeton
Walking Encyclopaedia

Ignore
« Reply #72 on: Wednesday, February 26, 2014, 16:34:01 »

Today, I'm pretty sure I saw a pair of red throated divers at Coate...at first I thought grebe, but on inspection with the binos, no tufts, and so grebes ruled out and these things had an almost gullet like throat, whereas the grebe is thinner and whiter. Also clocked one in flight which according to the books is pretty distinctive, this thing was almost arrow like with a drooping neck.

They dived down for a good long time and worked their up the lake with the wind.....according to web they have been seen at Coate before, but seemingly not for a while...as they're not common, the largest population being around the Western Isles.

Local_Dan

Ignore
« Reply #73 on: Wednesday, February 26, 2014, 22:27:42 »

Spent the day at Slimbridge, fantastic numbers of birds and decent weather too.

Last time i went to Slimbridge, i saw a Spoonbill which was most peculiar.

I should be doing other things.
Samdy Gray
Dirty sneaky traitor weasel

Ignore
« Reply #74 on: Sunday, September 20, 2015, 13:29:14 »

(Bump)

Took the dog to Somerford Common this afternoon and managed to see a couple of Little Owls. I had the camera with me, but couldn't get a good shot. I really need to invest in a longer lens.

I came across an elevated bird hide too, so might be good for twitching if you're into that kind of thing.
Pages: 1 2 3 4 [5] 6 7 8 ... 18   Go Up
Print
Jump to: