Pages: [1]   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: Moving a hot water tank  (Read 6295 times)
4D
Or not 4D that is the question

I can't bear it 🙄

Ignore
« on: Saturday, May 26, 2012, 18:36:27 »

I'm looking to get the hot water tank and all the usual airing cupboard pipes etc relocated into the loft so I can expand a bedroom. Does anyone know the likely cost and hassle involved in doing this? I will be hiring a plumber to do the job!
Ta x
Baggins

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: Saturday, May 26, 2012, 19:46:37 »

If you are hiring a plumber couldn't you ask him/her what it would cost?  I'm happy to have a guess - £682 - but they might be more accurate.
SuggWillSugg MBE

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: Sunday, May 27, 2012, 05:44:17 »

I reckon £793..

But I'm not a plumber and thats a figure plucked out the air. Smiley

Barnard

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: Sunday, May 27, 2012, 07:15:59 »

That's a pretty big job.

What sort of hot water system do you have?
bullethead

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: Sunday, May 27, 2012, 07:25:33 »

Not sure it's even possible? Isn't the tank supposed to be gravity fed from a header tank above it....then again that might just fall into the 80% bollocks category!
Samdy Gray
Dirty sneaky traitor weasel

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: Sunday, May 27, 2012, 07:32:39 »

Wouldn't it be less hassle to just fit a combi boiler and do away with the hot water tank all together?
Nomoreheroes
The Moral Majority

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: Sunday, May 27, 2012, 07:45:14 »

Strange. I thought most people moved tanks from out of the loft into the main part of the house these day - Especially following high profile news articles about tanks exploding above children's bedrooms and showering then with scalding hot water.

Anyway, you could get rid of the tank completely and get a Combi boiler instead. Worcester Bosch or Vaillant are reportedly the two best makes. If you go to their websites you can see what ones are suitable based upon your size of house. You should be able to get a rough idea of price of boiler from there. Then call a couple of plumbers to get quotes.

Bear in mind though, that, from my experience, plumbers are egotistical primadonas who have an overinflated opinion of the worth of their time! So, get a plumber recommended to you by friends or colleagues and shop around!

You're my incurable malady. I miss the pleasure of your company.
Barnard

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: Sunday, May 27, 2012, 08:04:00 »

Not sure it's even possible? Isn't the tank supposed to be gravity fed from a header tank above it....then again that might just fall into the 80% bollocks category!

It's possible if it's a newer, unvented system I think, as the water pressure isn't reliant on the header tank but comes from the mains. Not 100% sure on that though.

If it's an older, vented system then the cold water tank has to be higher than the Cylinder as you say.

Either way it's going to be a major job, if possible at all. I would expect it to come in well over a grand.
janaage
People's Front of Alba

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: Sunday, May 27, 2012, 09:48:31 »

We're thinking of moving our combi boiler from upstairs to down in the kitchen.  That way the cupboard it's currently in upstairs could potentially be used as a stairway to the attic when we look to convert that.  Love making house plans. Need to get the ball rolling though. 
DRS

« Reply #9 on: Sunday, May 27, 2012, 09:50:54 »

The cost of moving it etc compared to getting a new combi boiler is hardly anything. That is the way to go
janaage
People's Front of Alba

Ignore
« Reply #10 on: Sunday, May 27, 2012, 09:58:11 »

DRS is that aimed at me?  Not sure if it is or not (as my post was pretty vague reading it back), if so I did mean we're going to get a new one when we move the location of the boiler. Especially as our boiler is a crap make apparently. I'll be going Valliant (I think it is) as they're meant to be a good make.
DRS

« Reply #11 on: Sunday, May 27, 2012, 10:03:26 »

Ah right yeah that makes sense then :-)
Pages: [1]   Go Up
Print
Jump to: