Pages: [1]   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: Massive improvement  (Read 4891 times)
DMR

« on: Tuesday, December 28, 2004, 18:10:20 »

Rhys- looked our worst player, his dealings with crosses (which was all he had to do) was shit- 5

Reeves- solid, adds much needed communication and this was evident today- 6

Ifil- a couple of excellent tackles, positioning still iffy- 6

Duke- very good today defensively. Linked up well with Holmes, should have scored- 7

Garrard- Awful first half, tremendous second, still a bit aimless with his passing- 6

Jenkins- Held the midfield together very well, two fantastic deliveries, won loads of headers as well- 9 MOTM

Hewlett- give the lad the captaincy back I say. Great goal, worked very hard, good passes that were very unlike his usual self- 8

Holmes- excellent first half, quieter in the second but he was very mature in the way he holds his position, added needed options- 7

Igoe- his best performance for ages, clever passes and runs, although he was a bit wasteful in the final third- 7

Howard- awful challenge, was lucky to stay on, and that spurred him as he got much better after that throughout the game. Took the header well- 6

Parkin- quiet, but still worked hard and took his goal very cleverly. He has the best first touch in the league, I'm sure of that- 7

Certainly not back to our best IMO, but a massive improvement. Brentford are hard to play against as they are well disciplined, so to score 3 was very encouraging, if not a little flattering. In patches, we looked a bit vulnerable, and the midfield was outmuscled, hence I would never say that was perfect. Nor was the manner in which we dealt with a few set pieces, we look vulnerable at those, Rhys has to sort himself out.

But 2 clean sheets and 5 goals, lets hope this kick starts a memorable year.
Turbo

« Reply #1 on: Tuesday, December 28, 2004, 18:34:07 »

I agree with of that.

The 4-5-1 really gave us the ability to use the flair in midfeild so they were able to play well but still give us the defensive capabilities so the defence had less to deal with and could be solid.
Ben Wah Balls

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: Tuesday, December 28, 2004, 18:57:29 »

Another great win today and suddenly the table looks so much better. Up to 10th and we've beat 6 of the 9 teams above us. Cheesy

Also, Oxford lost 2-0 at home to Kidderminster who were bottom of the league. :ha
strooood
As black as Patrick from EastEnders who is officially the blackest man on the planet.

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: Tuesday, December 28, 2004, 19:00:48 »

Quote from: "Ben Wah Balls"
Another great win today and suddenly the table looks so much better. Up to 10th and we've beat 6 of the 9 teams above us. Cheesy

Also, Oxford lost 2-0 at home to Kidderminster who are second bottom :ha

i know the cunts...the only team on my accumulator that didnt come off  Sad

officially blacker than the night.
bongofury

« Reply #4 on: Tuesday, December 28, 2004, 19:08:55 »

The confidence seems to be coning back to the team.
sonicyouth

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: Tuesday, December 28, 2004, 19:18:19 »

We're going up! I love King!

Who was captain today?
blinkpip
His Infernal Majesty

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: Tuesday, December 28, 2004, 19:24:09 »

At least it was a nice realxing game today. Just what we needed.

ee the trick is only pick on those that can't do you no harm
Like the drummer from Def Leppard's only got one arm

I annoyed Yeovilred 28/01/06
Whits
Morphined Up

« Reply #7 on: Tuesday, December 28, 2004, 19:37:37 »

Quote from: "sonicyouth"
We're going up! I love King!

Who was captain today?

hoolit  Cheesy

Plays in midfield and his name is Tommy Miller,
signed him from Huddersfield his name is Tommy Miller,
first touch is average but his second is a killer,
heeeeeey Tommy Miller!
STFC_Chris
Charlie Croker

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: Tuesday, December 28, 2004, 21:01:48 »

Great result which will hopefully give the players some much needed confidence to go on and beat Colchester.

The team looks good using the 4-5-1, Jenkins did a great job in midfield today and was key to our success. Holmes was superb and I am gutted we only have him for a month, made some great runs and crosses into the box. Hewlett took his goal brilliantly, as did Howard and Parkin.

By no means are we back to our best, but we are getting there slowly.
Johno

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: Tuesday, December 28, 2004, 23:08:57 »

i was espically impressed with Holmes as he could have a great carrer ahead of him! Another Milner on our books me thinks

Hewletts goal was legend and an improved performance, but can still do better but, but we got the three points neccessary!
Brentford didn't look to threatening, in the wrong position i think!
Anonymous

« Reply #10 on: Tuesday, December 28, 2004, 23:54:16 »

We we're great, you dont beat a play off team 3 0 and not be near your best. Rhys did well again defence was solid, even that's right even Duke him and Holmes linked up fantastically. Howard wasn't so powder puff today and Hewlett was fantastic ran the match and when he went to shoot i thought "o fuck". Reeves was great (again) thought 2 games in 3 days would of killed him. Sam Parkin was class as well. Could this mirror last years season? Getting on that good run about the same time in the same position-ish. Although on the 28th we played our eventual playoff opponents? Ca sara sara?
Ben Wah Balls

Ignore
« Reply #11 on: Wednesday, December 29, 2004, 00:40:42 »

Just read some of the stuff on the rivals site, I hardly ever look on there, so don't know if this guy just really hates Hewlett but this is a bit harsh!

"Hewlett 4 and that’s because he scored. You can see why he is called Fairy. Never made one tackle all game. Never even got close to the action. His goal if you can call it that was a miskick, which was thrown into the net by their dodgy keeper. Hes not fit to wear the shirt let alone the armband. You can see why Turbo wants to leave. AK said he had him on the bench but wanted to be strong in the middle to match Brentford so threw Jenkins in there. But played Fairy who would be scared to get stuck in, in a girls game."
reeves4england

We'll never die!

Ignore
« Reply #12 on: Wednesday, December 29, 2004, 12:47:46 »

Quote from: "decks-e-tow"
Quote from: "Ben Wah Balls"

Also, Oxford lost 2-0 at home to Kidderminster who are second bottom :ha

i know the cunts...the only team on my accumulator that didnt come off  Sad
You bet on Oxford winning?! Always a bad move!
I think mr Russell was a bit harsh on Rhys. I know that recently his aerial work has not been brilliant but against Peterborough and Brentford he took some great ctches from crosses and has kept 2 clean sheets in a row. Having said that he was hardly tested by Burton or the old guy!
Pages: [1]   Go Up
Print
Jump to: