Pages: 1 [2] 3 4   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: Adver News: Di Canio contract talks on hold  (Read 9451 times)
nevillew
Tripping the light puntastic

Ignore
« Reply #15 on: Thursday, April 5, 2012, 09:31:53 »

Let's face it, he's got everything to gain by staying with us for another season. I suspect we might not have the financial clout/willingness to match his ambitions in the championship/premier league bracket, and if we do well next season, he'll definitely be on the bigger clubs' radar.

We all know he's not with us for more than two, three seasons at the most, let's enjoy it while it lasts.

Paolo Di Canio, it's Paolo Di Canio
Flashheart

« Reply #16 on: Thursday, April 5, 2012, 09:38:54 »

The headline could just as easily read: 'Paolo in talks to extend contract'

That would likely sell fewer papers though.
juddie

Ignore
« Reply #17 on: Thursday, April 5, 2012, 09:39:30 »

We all know he's not with us for more than two, three seasons at the most, let's enjoy it while it lasts.

This.
Batch
Not a Batch

Ignore
« Reply #18 on: Thursday, April 5, 2012, 09:43:49 »

BR, it's more the terminology he used than whether he signs now or later.

Listening to the radio interview he was clearly talking in terms of lets get promotion sealed and then the board can present definite budgeting plans rather than if we are in this league...ife we are in that. Seems fair enough.

Though the 'if he signs' were still there. We are Swindon, we'll give Paolo everything we can but there is a limit.

But as nev says, now is the time to enjoy the ride.
Flashheart

« Reply #19 on: Thursday, April 5, 2012, 09:54:59 »

I think people are trying to read way to much into the slightest little things regarding his diction. A foolish thing to do with a non-native speaker (trust me, I am surrounded by them on a daily basis).

Oh, and he has been saying 'if' throughout the season regarding his contracts and length of stay here: 'If the board still want me' etc.

The_Doctor

« Reply #20 on: Thursday, April 5, 2012, 09:58:56 »

Di Canio has been ok, but lets not forget he has cost this club a shit load of money, Atiku, Lanzano, Magera, Esajas, Kerrouche, etc etc yes they are gone now but would have been paid off and probably got relocation fees to move to Swindon and the UK. PDC has got the crowd on side etc but in terms of management, with the resources and money he has had, anyone could have got us promoted in fairness. PDC is great for getting asses in seats etc and getting the crowd onside due to his antics but i am not convinced just yet he is a good manager, If we are struggling mid-table in L1 next season he would take the attitude "I failed" and take his ball and leave IMO. We saw his rant at Rovers, Give me or I go..... Lets enjoy PDC the man, the aura, he has brought in some good players but also a lot of shit and whilst he will say yes I made a mistake, which is fair enough, he is still making the mistakes to an extent, Tehoue etc. Seems with PDC "its my way or the high way", say he was at another club and he said "give me or I go" (ok may be heat of the moment) would they buckle and sign another 5-6 players when he has players at his disposal? Dont get me wrong its been a good season etc eventually as he has had the resources and backing. His name alone has brought attention to the club and probably got some new fans down to the County Ground. In terms of management though still very raw I think.
« Last Edit: Thursday, April 5, 2012, 10:00:47 by The_Doctor » Logged
reeves4england

We'll never die!

Ignore
« Reply #21 on: Thursday, April 5, 2012, 10:44:52 »

I think the number of dud players signed this year has to be taken in the context of the complete overhaul that took place. He brought in a whole load of new players to replace last year's dross, and it's inevaitable that a few of those wouldn't work out.

Atiku, Esejas and Lanzano were poor. Magera is an odd one, as he has pedigree. And let's not forget that Kerrouche did well for us for quite a while. As for Tehoué et al, I'm sure Paolo's loanee record is no worse than Wilson's or anybody else's. Loans don't always work out, FACT. You might argue that he seems to fall out with players too easily, but the reality is none of us know what's gone on, and if it is down to players not giving 100% then PDC is quite right to get rid.

I'm not worried at all by this contract stuff. Paolo clearly wants to get us promoted with minimal distraction, and he's not even out of contract this summer. We'll go up, he'll sign an extension in June, everybody will be happy.
Batch
Not a Batch

Ignore
« Reply #22 on: Thursday, April 5, 2012, 10:54:50 »

I think people are trying to read way to much into the slightest little things regarding his diction. A foolish thing to do with a non-native speaker (trust me, I am surrounded by them on a daily basis).

Oh, and he has been saying 'if' throughout the season regarding his contracts and length of stay here: 'If the board still want me' etc.

Yes, I see your point.
Costanza

Ignore
« Reply #23 on: Thursday, April 5, 2012, 10:57:05 »

Good to see PDC deflecting fan focus on him and away from his players.

BOOOOOOOO Di Canio, BOOOOOOOOOOOOOO.
The_Doctor

« Reply #24 on: Thursday, April 5, 2012, 10:59:57 »

Not saying PDC has been shit, is all part of the learning curve, however he wants to be careful not to make the "big move" too quickly otherwise he will end up like Paul Ince or Dennis Wise. Get moderate success and perform poorly despite having bigger resources as they havent got the know how, All they have known is success, when the chips are down how do they bounce back etc hence why a seaon or 2 in L1 with us would benefit him.

Whilst West Ham will inevitably have PDC as manager it would be a no lose gamble for them to take him in the Summer if they dont go up. The Hammers board appease the fans by bringing back PDC which is waht they all want, and should Di Canio not take them up he is still seen as god so buys them time to get back to the Premier League, Question is, do finances allow them that time? Especially supposedly hoping to move to 60,000 Olympic Stadium.... All this talk about PDC to West Ham is an absolute massive gamble for either side.

In regards to player management PDC needs to realise things dont always go his way. ie if fans boo, get on with it, even if it is stupid of them to do so.... I dont think PDC will go, in fact I think he would be stupid to go as it will ruin his career longer term IMO.
Posh Red
Posh by name, Posh by nature

Ignore
« Reply #25 on: Thursday, April 5, 2012, 11:04:29 »

with the resources and money he has had, anyone could have got us promoted in fairness.

You mean someone like Paul Buckle for instance, who brought in as many players as Paolo did (and a few on here said much better players), but took Rovers nowhere & got sacked.

There were always going to be some players that didn't work out, especially when you have to completely rebuild a team in a couple of months.

We keep hearing this nonsense about his terrible transfer dealings, lets not forget that he has also signed all of the following.

Foderingham, Connell, Benson, Rooney, Devera, Cibbo, Risser, McCormack, De Vita, Jonny Smith.

As for the loan signings, there are plenty that have done ok (Ridehalgh, Jervis, Holmes, McEelvey, Murray and Fodders)
Trashbat?

Ignore
« Reply #26 on: Thursday, April 5, 2012, 11:10:21 »

I like PDC, but if he goes he goes! he isn't bigger than the club
We have the foundations for a great future now, with or without PDC

But people are worrying over a trivial comment, chill out
« Last Edit: Thursday, April 5, 2012, 11:12:58 by Trashbat? » Logged
Ardiles

Stirlingshire Reds

Ignore
« Reply #27 on: Thursday, April 5, 2012, 11:10:37 »

And not forgetting the other serious contender, along with Buckle, who didn't get the job - Dietmar Hamann.  Appointed Stockport manager last July after missing out to PDC.  He lasted 4 months.
Bogus Dave
Ate my own dick

Ignore
« Reply #28 on: Thursday, April 5, 2012, 11:15:29 »

To be fair to Hamann, he does have a lot of mitigating circumstances managing the clusterfuck of a club that is stockport county

Things get better but they never get good
Batch
Not a Batch

Ignore
« Reply #29 on: Thursday, April 5, 2012, 14:07:56 »

Talking of Stockport, they are no longer sharing Edgeley Park with a "rugby" team next season. That's got to be  a kick in the balls for their finances.
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4   Go Up
Print
Jump to: