Pages: 1 2 3 4 [5] 6 7 8   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: Adver News: Wilder points the finger at Town players  (Read 18347 times)
Bob's Orange
Has brain escape barriers

Ignore
« Reply #60 on: Tuesday, March 6, 2012, 08:51:18 »

Considering that least season we finished just outside the play-offs, the minimum this season is a place there.

The chairman and owner both like Wilder a lot, and have a very good working relationship. Like most fans, they recognise that he's achieved whilst adhering to strict budgets. If we failed to make the play-offs this season I think they'd keep him, though it would be acknowledged that we underachieved but did so in a more competitve league than last year whilst maintaining financial stability.

Based on attendances we, like you I expect, would hope to be around the top of L1, going up to the Championship now and then. We want to get to the Championship to regularly get attendances that would justify the building of the 4th stand, and the closer we get (to the Championship) the more the possibility of buying the ground back, which is desirable and would be a significant financial gain.

Like Costanza says we've had less time in the league than you but achieved more. That's part of why I completely disagree with this "Oxford are tin pot" nonsense. For every "Oxford are tinpot they're proposing a DVD of the derby" there's a "Swindon are tinpot they want a plaque for beating Wigan reserves in the second round of the cup". If you think that you are somehow superior then you are deluded. Same sort of attendances, league records, cups/championships won, size if ground, ultimate goals as a club, fan base. Like someone said on here the other day, I'm all for the fun of the derby and our rivalry, done the right way it's brilliant. It's the epitomy of sport captured in one event. But away from the circus of derby day I respect Swindon fans because they've chosen to support their local side (a side which is similar in many ways to mine), a rare trait in modern sports fans. Now fuck off.

edit: the bit about being deluded isn't aimed at anyone in particular by the way.

(i know that you will come back and say you did it on purpose but I will 'bite anyway)

You obviously don't know a lot about football if you think Premiership teams play in the second round of the FA Cup.

Incidentally, the plaque thing was completely over the top, but not many L2 sides beat Premiership sides in the cup so it was a pretty good achievement IMHO.

we've been to Aberdeen, we hate the Hibs, they make us spew up, so make some noise,
the gorgie boys, for Hearts in Europe.
DiV
Has also heard this

Joseph McLaughlin

Ignore
« Reply #61 on: Tuesday, March 6, 2012, 08:54:18 »

...and no matter how many times you say it. It still wasn't Wigan reserves.
Peter Venkman
We don't need no stinking badges.

Things can only get better

« Reply #62 on: Tuesday, March 6, 2012, 08:59:55 »

This.

Only a fool does not know when to hold his tongue.
Batch
Not a Batch

Ignore
« Reply #63 on: Tuesday, March 6, 2012, 09:19:22 »

I think 7 Wigan players that played in the game were involved in their preceding squad v Sunderland.
Peter Venkman
We don't need no stinking badges.

Things can only get better

« Reply #64 on: Tuesday, March 6, 2012, 09:23:24 »

I think 7 Wigan players that played in the game were involved in their preceding squad v Sunderland.
And I think almost all of them have played at least a part in some Premier League games since then.

Only a fool does not know when to hold his tongue.
Bob's Orange
Has brain escape barriers

Ignore
« Reply #65 on: Tuesday, March 6, 2012, 10:20:49 »

FWIW a manager who does a good job regardless of his stature is a manager worth having.

If you had a choice between going places from where you as "Di Canio's team" compared to stagnation you would take it. All ifs and buts as we've neither been promoted and pushing on and you have not yet stayed down but if Di Canio was doing a poor job and another non-name was doing a good one I know which I'd choose.

But managers who are 'too big' for the team they manage(d):

Paul Ince - More player pedigree than Di Canio you could argue. Did a decent job until he went beyond his capability then turned to shit. Clearly not too big for Franchise.

Hamman - Worked out terribly.

Lawrie Sanchez - Not doing too well. The fans and players have realised what an arrogant cunt he is.

Peter Taylor - Managed around this level the last few jobs and under-performed.

Aidy Boothroyd - Another known name. Is he proving he is too big for a club like Northampton?

That's just a quick off the top of my head selection, there are plenty more examples. Some of those are experienced heads and some are/were rookies. Clearly no team is too small for a manager unless he has unrealistic goals.

You also have to bear in mind that the 'PDC factor' has probably brought us more television and press coverage than in a long time, the more times our 'circus' is on TV, the more money it brings in. Can't see much of a problem with that.

I really don't have any issue in the slightest with being 'Paolo's Swindon'. In fact, its been pretty good so far!

we've been to Aberdeen, we hate the Hibs, they make us spew up, so make some noise,
the gorgie boys, for Hearts in Europe.
Posh Red
Posh by name, Posh by nature

Ignore
« Reply #66 on: Tuesday, March 6, 2012, 11:06:49 »

I didn't mind us being "Glenn Hoddle's Swindon" when we were getting promoted either Wink
Benzel

Ignore
« Reply #67 on: Tuesday, March 6, 2012, 11:15:37 »

I'd imagine it was the same with Lou Macari and Ossie Ardiles' Swindon too.

Is your cat making too much noise all the time?
Spencer_White

« Reply #68 on: Tuesday, March 6, 2012, 22:44:50 »

I wish we still had Paul Hart.

Having a living legend as a manager is the pits.
bigbobjoylove

Ignore
« Reply #69 on: Tuesday, March 6, 2012, 22:47:12 »

I wish we still had Paul Hart.

All gone to shit since he left Sad Come back, Paul!
Dozno9

« Reply #70 on: Tuesday, March 6, 2012, 22:54:59 »

Spencer totally agree, with PDC it's all me, me, me. All that passion and qwaality is starting to piss me roight off.
reeves4england

We'll never die!

Ignore
« Reply #71 on: Tuesday, March 6, 2012, 22:58:39 »

A lot of people talk about Paolo being full of himself, desperate to get into the press...

Does he actually speak to the press any more than other managers? Or are there just more people interested in what he has to say?
donkey
Cheers!

He headed a football.

Ignore
« Reply #72 on: Tuesday, March 6, 2012, 23:01:41 »

A lot of people talk about Paolo being full of himself, desperate to get into the press...

Does he actually speak to the press any more than other managers? Or are there just more people interested in what he has to say?

Sorry, what was that?  I was watching Arsenal miss the fourth goal.

donkey tells the truth

I headed the ball.

eeeeeeeeeeeeeee-aaaaaaaawwwwwww
Dozno9

« Reply #73 on: Tuesday, March 6, 2012, 23:04:17 »

At the Oxford game before kick off it was bloody funny, there must have been 10 photographers around our dug out and not a single one at Wilder's. Now PDC had nothing to do with that other than turning up.

He's just himself and people struggle with that, some people expect just the grey approach that 90% of league mangers have.
Dozno9

« Reply #74 on: Tuesday, March 6, 2012, 23:05:47 »

Sorry, what was that?  I was watching Arsenal miss the fourth goal.

That was quite good he had the interviewer a few times on that.
Pages: 1 2 3 4 [5] 6 7 8   Go Up
Print
Jump to: