Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: What a cock  (Read 7450 times)
Bennett
No Comment

Ignore
« Reply #30 on: Saturday, January 7, 2012, 10:02:20 »

most of it's accurate, well done him. shame on you lot for biting

This is the water.
And this is the well.
Drink full and descend.
The horse is the white of the eyes and dark within.
leefer

Ignore
« Reply #31 on: Saturday, January 7, 2012, 10:10:52 »

I am so ashamed Embarrassed
mrverve

Ignore
« Reply #32 on: Saturday, January 7, 2012, 10:12:16 »

Ardiles, to get to the Premier League they went out offered players the most money/ wages etc. When they got in the Premier League their business model changed and consisted of buying unknown players from South America and the like who were relatively cheap and then selling them on for profit (Valencia, Palacios etc). You can't keep doing that though. The problem is for a club like Wigan is that they haven't got a huge core fanbase, like Costanza said they're essentially a rugby town in an area where there are other teams to follow. So when the novelty of the PL wears off for the plastics or when they get relegated will Dave Whelan (or his grandson) be willing to go out and out bid other teams again because on their crowds they can't sustain top flight football and be competitive.
Arch Stanton

Wallowing in negativity

Ignore
« Reply #33 on: Saturday, January 7, 2012, 10:21:51 »

I thought it was all quite funny, I get the impression it was a fishing, tongue in cheek style piece.

I'm looking forward to the game today, mainly because its against higher opposition and the County Ground will be full, but I'm not excited by who the opposition is at all.

A lad who lives down the road from me is excited, first game at the County Ground and he's well chuffed to be playing Premiership Wigan, he knows no different - So I suppose its my age but I still can't get around the idea that Wigan Athletic are anything other than a Div3 team at most. I almost feel the same towards Fulham, as being born in the early seventies, I missed their original 'heyday'. But knowing that they did once have a heyday kinda dampens the feeling.

No real jibe at Wigan per se, it would be the same if Rochdale/Lincoln etc had had a wealthy benefactor...

BUT, if this lad (he must be 8/9) goes to the CG many more times after today, I will be truly thankful to the Latics.
Ardiles

Stirlingshire Reds

Ignore
« Reply #34 on: Saturday, January 7, 2012, 10:22:44 »

I'm in complete agreement with that.  As I said, the model they have is unsustainable in the longer term.  Whelan's money will buy them some time in the sun for a while but, in the end, everything finds its level again.  In fairness, most of their fans probably appreciate that.

So glad it's not us.  I know some will disagree with that...but that's the way I feel.
Posh Red
Posh by name, Posh by nature

Ignore
« Reply #35 on: Saturday, January 7, 2012, 10:33:26 »

When we drew Wigan I was quite disappointed, but the more I look at the better draw it is.

If we had drawn a proper Premiership club, they would probably have wanted the bank as well, so Town fans wouldn't have got those tickets.

Had we drawn a bigger club, but from the Championship (probably West Ham aside), we wouldn't have sold out. There are a lot of armchair fans that are probably going because it's a premiership club & they see them every week on MOTD.

As for the post by the Northern Monkey, I'm drawn between on whether it's a fishing exercise or just a written by a mong.

If he had posted it on here (or another Town forum), I would have definitely said he was fishing
Costanza

Ignore
« Reply #36 on: Saturday, January 7, 2012, 10:39:42 »

I think the Wigan fan had read some comments by Swindon fans and decided to retaliate.
phelpsieboy

« Reply #37 on: Saturday, January 7, 2012, 10:42:19 »

Think he was just fishing and looking for this kind of reaction, and the end of the day they are a "Bigger" club than us. Yes we may have more history etc, but as it currently stands they are bigger.
Posh Red
Posh by name, Posh by nature

Ignore
« Reply #38 on: Saturday, January 7, 2012, 10:44:11 »

Think he was just fishing and looking for this kind of reaction, and the end of the day they are a "Bigger" club than us. Yes we may have more history etc, but as it currently stands they are bigger.

No doubt, that's why it's sold out.

As I said, you can't underestimate the power of being on TV (at a decent time) every week.
janaage
People's Front of Alba

Ignore
« Reply #39 on: Saturday, January 7, 2012, 10:49:14 »

No, it wouldn't!  If a benefactor decided to throw tens of £ millions at STFC, there would be nothing left to support for me.  Nothing to admire, respect or get excited about in the success that would inevitably follow.  I expect that my interest in STFC would start to wane if we became the play thing/pet project of a wealthy individual.  Many clubs, ours included, have wealthy individuals standing behind them...but you have to draw the line somewhere.

I'd agree with that Ardiles.  If a rich benefactor took Swindon over then the club wouldn't be that club that we all grew up with.  My dream for Town is that our current board manage to get us to the Championship that'll do me. No takeover by some foreign multi-millionaire wanting a play thing, just our club doing well. And with the people we have at management board level, this dream can become reality!

You reds.
Ardiles

Stirlingshire Reds

Ignore
« Reply #40 on: Saturday, January 7, 2012, 10:56:07 »

I'd agree with that Ardiles.  If a rich benefactor took Swindon over then the club wouldn't be that club that we all grew up with.  My dream for Town is that our current board manage to get us to the Championship that'll do me. No takeover by some foreign multi-millionaire wanting a play thing, just our club doing well. And with the people we have at management board level, this dream can become reality!

You reds.

Agree with every word of that, Jan, especially the bold bit.
Only Me

Ignore
« Reply #41 on: Saturday, January 7, 2012, 11:02:17 »

Quite amusing... although our average attendance was limited by the capacity of our ground, which he really should know if he's going to get all statistical.

I noticed his statistics didn't cover the average gates when we were both in the same divisions  Cheesy
horlock07

Lives in Northern Bastard Outpost

Ignore
« Reply #42 on: Saturday, January 7, 2012, 13:21:25 »

Having had the pleasure to work in Wigan for 5 years (although thankfully no more!) it is a town that has little to no interest in football, they are all egg chasing fans and even that is a little fragmented with Warrington, St Helens etc nearby! You very rarely see a Wigan shirt (or interestingly a blond lass, they all have dark hair, its really odd!)

BTW useless fact but as you probably know they are known as pie eaters, however its not beacuse they eat pies all the time - although there are pie shops everywhere (there was even a factory shop next to our office where you could buy hot pies direct from the factory), its beacuse they broke a mining strike at some stage and thus had to eat humble pie.
limpwrist

Ignore
« Reply #43 on: Saturday, January 7, 2012, 13:27:30 »

I agree with Bennett. A funny piece of work and loved wurzzl Gummidge
Ardiles

Stirlingshire Reds

Ignore
« Reply #44 on: Saturday, January 7, 2012, 18:10:14 »

Time for a little fun?   Wink

Get posting, people...

http://thisnorthernsoul.co.uk/2012/01/05/country-bumpkins-turn-out-in-droves-to-watch-latics-reserves
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5   Go Up
Print
Jump to: