Pages: [1]   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: 2011 Swindon Town Short Review of the Year  (Read 2263 times)
Plumstead Red
Formerly Arkells Chris

Ignore
« on: Thursday, December 29, 2011, 11:51:56 »

I am a regular reader of this forum but hardly find the time to post so in this lull between Christmas and New Year I wanted to write a few rambling lines on supporting the Town in 2011.

Walking out of The Valley in early January I can remember feeling optimistic about a promotion push! We had slaughtered Charlton on their own ground in an effective manner, making up for our indifferent Christmas 2010 matches. Swindon played with drive and panache and confidence.

I still can not understand how we lost it and tumbled down the league table in the Spring, how we could not win at home, and how the players that we had in our squad then are mainly having pretty good seasons now with different clubs (funny that). Was this lack of confidence completely down to losing our cutting edge with Austin? Maybe Austin papered over what an average side we had. Ritchie at times seemed our only creative spark left in the squad.

Replacing Wilson with Paul Hart was baffling, and not being able to win those crucial home games in March and April where we played so negatively, the writing was on the wall. Brentford was a fun day out in the Spring and it was great to see a win. 

I wanted Hamann over Paolo but knew that he would give one hundred percent. I heard some great things about the Open Day that the Town had before the season and knew that if we could keep this optimism going into the new season, then we would do ok. 

The Leon Knight affair was a crucial turning point after a poor start, and coming back against Rotherham twice was important as were the wins over Southend and Crawley, and the run we have been on since October. Foderingham and our back line have just been solid. Since when have we conceded so few goals? We are catching the teams up at the top of the league. If we can nick a top three spot, that would be awesome, but I have a feeling that the second part of the season is going to be a lot tougher. We do need some more players, to turn some more draws into wins and losses into draws.

Paolo is great and his interview in the Independent the other week reveals what a top guy he is, in his comments about the town, the supporters, the team and the club.

Overall a lot to look forward to in 2012.
stfcinbmth

« Reply #1 on: Thursday, December 29, 2011, 12:09:54 »

What's Leon Knight got to do with anything?  Wink but otherwise...............thanks
fatbasher

« Reply #2 on: Thursday, December 29, 2011, 21:02:27 »

What's Leon Knight got to do with anything?  Wink but otherwise...............thanks

How about galvanising the team to support Paolo rather than themselves.......That's where we klicked IMHO.
OOH! SHAUN TAYLOR
- FACT!

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: Thursday, December 29, 2011, 21:12:48 »

How about galvanising the team to support Paolo rather than themselves.......That's where we klicked IMHO.

[whisper]it was Leon Clarke though, not Leon Knight[/whisper]  Wink
suttonred

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: Thursday, December 29, 2011, 21:18:07 »

[whisper]it was Leon Clarke though, not Leon Knight[/whisper]  Wink

Nah Leon Knight was correct possibly, as Paolo fired him out after 4 days and put a marker down very early that he wouldn't have passengers.
OOH! SHAUN TAYLOR
- FACT!

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: Thursday, December 29, 2011, 21:22:20 »

Nah Leon Knight was correct possibly, as Paolo fired him out after 4 days and put a marker down very early that he wouldn't have passengers.
But Leon Knight got binned off before the season started didn't he? The report says 'after a poor start'
stfcinbmth

« Reply #6 on: Thursday, December 29, 2011, 21:34:34 »

But Leon Knight got binned off before the season started didn't he? The report says 'after a poor start'

Must admit I'd forgot about Knight  Embarrassed but there wasn't much to remember
NZrobin

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: Wednesday, January 4, 2012, 06:30:51 »

Love him or hate him PDC is a winner...

The Town are so lucky to have him and long may it last.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
Print
Jump to: