Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5 ... 38   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: FA Cup Third Round Draw  (Read 68514 times)
nochee

« Reply #15 on: Sunday, December 4, 2011, 10:04:32 »

Bristol city at home.....and we crush them
london_red

Ignore
« Reply #16 on: Sunday, December 4, 2011, 10:23:14 »

Trip to a London prem side would be ideal.

Fulham away a few years ago remains one of the most enjoyable defeats I've ever been to.
Matchworn Shirts
For Sale

Ignore
« Reply #17 on: Sunday, December 4, 2011, 10:25:04 »

Trip to a London prem side would be ideal.

Fulham away a few years ago remains one of the most enjoyable defeats I've ever been to.

Andy Johnson "you'll never play for Swindon"

I come from a land down-under
Reg Smeeton
Walking Encyclopaedia

Ignore
« Reply #18 on: Sunday, December 4, 2011, 10:27:43 »

It's been many a long year since we pulled a plum home draw in the 3 rd round of the FA Cup, having won through rounds 1 and 2. In fact in my 50 odd years of support, I can't recall a single instance....you could say we're about due, but it's just the odds are heavily stacked against it.

I suppose the last instance of a home draw against one of the traditional large clubs of England, was v Villa under Hoddle, but of course that was the 5th round so more chance of it happening and we entered at the 3rd round.

The last instance of a large club at the CG having started from R1 would be when we had Spurs in 78/80, but that was the 4th round. Little do we know that day that both Hoddle and Ardiles would play for and manage the club  Smiley

So Barnsley away it is....
Gnasher

Prefers animals to people (in a non sexual way)

Ignore
« Reply #19 on: Sunday, December 4, 2011, 10:28:20 »

A Prem side would obviously be good. I remember going to the Everton game when Culverhouse got sent off in the first 5 minutes, so perhaps another shot at Everton would be nice.

But you just know it's going to be Bradford or Oldham away  Crying

Cats are better than dogs FACT
Ardiles

Stirlingshire Reds

Ignore
« Reply #20 on: Sunday, December 4, 2011, 10:29:59 »

I just love the fact we're still in the hat.  Even though they weren't one of the very top sides, I still have great memories of a packed County Ground for the Coventry tie.
fatbasher

« Reply #21 on: Sunday, December 4, 2011, 10:50:12 »

The most important thing for OUR club is money/promotion.

So as it's a given we have to have money to go forward I'd like to point out that the further we progress in the cup the greater the the returns, obviously. By that I mean each round gives us a bigger cash prize from the FA and also the better chance of a mouth watering premier club and TV money. My preferred tie would be someone like Salisbury home or away purely to progress into a richer vein of cash return. More or less a nailed on win with the possibility of a TV slot. Definitely do not need someone like Watford or even Bristol City away, I'm not sure we'd muller City second time around.

Final thought, if we draw a premier side the only chance I can see of us realistically getting through would be to have a lower 1/3 side at home. If we're gonna crash and burn to a premier side then one of the top 6 away is my preferred choice. WHU home or away will put us on TV without a doubt.
Peter Venkman
We don't need no stinking badges.

Things can only get better

« Reply #22 on: Sunday, December 4, 2011, 10:57:48 »

We have had many great 3rd round ties, some at home and some away.

It wasn't until Reg said that about the top flight side in the 3rd round at home I haden't realised that until then but yes looking back there hasn't been one in my lifetime.

So surely we are overdue one?

I very fondly remember the Spurs game in the 4th round even though I was crammed in the Town End in a 26,000 crowd and could barely breathe, a wonderful atmosphere, I miss those days.

I think truly that we fear no one at the moment and on our day could beat anyone with a little bit of luck, especially knowing that a lot of the BIGGER clubs would not play their first team for such a tie as Man Ure did against Palarse in the week.

Bring it on.

Only a fool does not know when to hold his tongue.
leefer

Ignore
« Reply #23 on: Sunday, December 4, 2011, 10:59:39 »

It wasn't until Reg said that about the top flight side in the 3rd round at home I haden't realised that until then but yes looking back there hasn't been one in my lifetime.

I very fondly remember the Spurs game in the 4th round even though I was crammed in the Town End in a 26,000 crowd and could barely breathe, a wonderful atmosphere, I miss those days.

I think truly that we fear no one at the moment and on our day could beat anyone with a little bit of luck, especially knowing that a lot of the BIGGER clubs would not play their first team for such a tie as Man Ure did against Palarse in the week.

Bring it on.

And the replay where we led untill Gerry Armstrong grabbed two late winners.
OOH! SHAUN TAYLOR
- FACT!

Ignore
« Reply #24 on: Sunday, December 4, 2011, 11:01:21 »

Bring it on.
Couldn't agree more Yes
Reg Smeeton
Walking Encyclopaedia

Ignore
« Reply #25 on: Sunday, December 4, 2011, 11:03:02 »

Bring it on.

We've not had one of these modern ties yet, where a Blackburn or Bolton or someone, pitch up and essentially forfeit the game...
Matchworn Shirts
For Sale

Ignore
« Reply #26 on: Sunday, December 4, 2011, 11:03:33 »

Reading away

I come from a land down-under
Boeta

Ignore
« Reply #27 on: Sunday, December 4, 2011, 11:28:17 »

given the belief in the squad the hudds and this win will have given them, there won't be many games which aren't either a) winnable or b) a big money spinner
Benzel

Ignore
« Reply #28 on: Sunday, December 4, 2011, 11:32:24 »

Cheltenham away.

I want Newcastle away though, I've always wanted to see us play there.

Is your cat making too much noise all the time?
Bedford Red

Smithers Jones

Ignore
« Reply #29 on: Sunday, December 4, 2011, 11:32:58 »

i think we'll get Man U away, i'd love West Ham at home though...
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5 ... 38   Go Up
Print
Jump to: