Pages: [1]   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: Paul Gascoigne  (Read 2333 times)
TheDukeOfBanbury

Ignore
« on: Friday, November 11, 2011, 20:45:32 »

I was fortunate to meet Gazza last Saturday night in Newcastle and spent 5 minutes chatting with him.
A real honour and pleasure signed off by a photo.

I have always wanted to meet Gazza to be honest because I recall a story that I will never forget. FA Cup (The famous bribe) and went to St James's park. As you are probably are aware we were beat 5-0. Gazza and Mirindina (spelt wrong) tore Swindon apart but it was after the game I have never forgotten.
Gazza went to the Gallowgate End and applauded the home fans and then ran the length of the pitch, jumped on the fence and shook a few Swindon fans hands, one of which was mine.
It was a great sporting moment, he came to the Swindon fans and applauded their support.

That story I mentioned to him and he recalled his goal he scored. We then talked about John Moncur one of his best friends in football, the Cantona stamp, the lot and that Gazza smile came out.
We even talked fishing. He was with his young lad and a mate (not 5 bellies). His little lad even joined in the conversation.

What ever people think this lad could play football. My Geordie Mate was overwhelmed and later told me about him giving money to old folk and kids of Dunston.

A moment to treasure but a very sad ending for probably one of Englands finest football talents.

Tomorrow night he is Piers Morgan's guest and I understand it is a very emotional interview. I for one will get back from the game and watch it.

Wanted to share this with you, especially the Swindon moment that as a little boy it made an impression on me. All of those years later I met one of my idols to recite the tale.

One Paul Gascoigne.
leefer

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: Friday, November 11, 2011, 21:23:39 »

Nice story...lets hope after 10 months off the booze he can turn the corner.
Dirk Diggler

« Reply #2 on: Friday, November 11, 2011, 21:25:26 »

I have always loved Gazza from the moment that I saw him at this game. Have to say that 20 odd years down the line I can't recall him coming down to our end but have no reason to doubt you.

I remember that Gazza was brilliant, it was a nightmare train journey (special didnt get to Newcastle until 3:00pm) and didnt get into the ground until approx 3.20pm!
wokinghamred

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: Friday, November 11, 2011, 21:42:17 »

We drove all the way to Newcastle without tickets (it was all ticket, and sold out) in the hope of getting in. We got in  and got thrashed. Until that game I thought Gazza was over-hyped. We tore us apart. He had an excellent game.

Happy days !
axs
naaarrrrrppppp

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: Friday, November 11, 2011, 22:36:25 »

Nice story.

I can't bring myself to watch anything with piers Morgan in it. Can't stand that bloke.
suttonred

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: Friday, November 11, 2011, 22:47:50 »

Good story, not as good as me being knocked out as a small kid by a Don Rogers shot though Smiley
Bewster

We fucking love you Gumbo!

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: Friday, November 11, 2011, 22:52:15 »

As football fans we sit through hours a shite and complete trash for that little gem of a moment that makes it worthwhile. Its those moments that stay with us and that we talk about. This is one of them.

Great story. A footballing legend, a flawed genius. His performance in the Euros 1996, that goal against Scotland, great memories.
woolster

« Reply #7 on: Friday, November 11, 2011, 23:00:02 »

I have always loved Gazza from the moment that I saw him at this game. Have to say that 20 odd years down the line I can't recall him coming down to our end but have no reason to doubt you.

I remember that Gazza was brilliant, it was a nightmare train journey (special didnt get to Newcastle until 3:00pm) and didnt get into the ground until approx 3.20pm!
i was on that train, it broke down about half hour into the journey, also remember the tempory seats in the away end
Ardiles

Stirlingshire Reds

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: Friday, November 11, 2011, 23:05:49 »

Good story, not as good as me being knocked out as a small kid by a Don Rogers shot though Smiley

Elaboration needed...
Christy

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: Friday, November 11, 2011, 23:10:09 »

I've resurrected my thoughts of that afternoon from an ancient post....it was a long way home to Witney...

My first and most abiding Gazza memory: his appreciation of Swindon supporters after Newcastle dicked us 5-0 in the FA Cup in 88.

We must have had 40ish coaches there, so getting out of the car park was a nightmare.  Gazza had ripped us apart.  Just a boy of 18 or 19, he chose to stay in the car park, larking, clowning around with the Town fans.  Humble as.  He cheered a lot of miserable journeys home that day. 

It's hard to forget just how good he was until the 1991 Cup Final.  In so many ways he is still a small, fragile, desperate boy.  In others, he has always been a man.
chalkies_shorts

« Reply #10 on: Friday, November 11, 2011, 23:37:50 »

I was at that game. 5-0 and they missed a penatly. Gazza was a truly class player. I just hope he can get his life together. 
Barry Scott

« Reply #11 on: Friday, November 11, 2011, 23:44:59 »

Nice story.

I can't bring myself to watch anything with piers Morgan in it. Can't stand that bloke.

Yes I'd've liked to have heard from a few of his interviewees, but I couldn't sit through his swollen-smugness. I did enjoy his amusingly awful treatment of fellow contestants in Celebrity Apprentice USA, yes I watched it. He made it good because some of the tossers on it were so full of themselves he knocked them down a few pegs to the point it made me laugh out loud.
Peter Venkman
We don't need no stinking badges.

Things can only get better

« Reply #12 on: Saturday, November 12, 2011, 09:57:43 »

I met gazza back in the 90s when he came to Swindon to go out on the piss with Moncur and he is a great bloke, always got time for everyone who isnt an asshole, if you chat with him he will chat with you.

I do wish he would get off the bottle before it kills him.

The best British player of a generation.

Only a fool does not know when to hold his tongue.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
Print
Jump to: