Pages: 1 ... 5 6 7 [8] 9 10 11   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: New FA Cup Kit  (Read 26261 times)
PocketScience

Ignore
« Reply #105 on: Monday, October 31, 2011, 09:55:13 »

If the People didn't print it then some other paper would have. They didn't make up any bullshit did they? Just reporting the facts so I don't see the problem really, Hillier et al are the ones we should blame, not the paper as far as I can see. (I was only 9 at the time).

As for the kit, I don't like it because it looks cheap, the tabloid sponsor looks like a sticker, and I don't think we should play in any other colour than red at home. Don't see why they couldnt just keep the home kit but replace the sponsor for FA cup games
lambourn red

« Reply #106 on: Monday, October 31, 2011, 10:02:41 »

FA Cup is shite and for that reason I am out
Bumpkin

Ignore
« Reply #107 on: Monday, October 31, 2011, 10:05:09 »

Do you really blame Brian Hillier, Lou Macari, Vince Farrar, Gary Herbert or Dave King?  The felt they were acting in the best interests of the club.
It is a commonly help view that what they were doing, (illegale payments to players) was happening up and down the country.
To suggest, as the Sunday people did, they were involved in match fixing, was complete nonsense, but it sells papers.
Bob's Orange
Has brain escape barriers

Ignore
« Reply #108 on: Monday, October 31, 2011, 10:05:47 »

Just so everyone's clear...

From swindon-town-fc-co.uk

The Sunday People printed revelations that chairman Brian Hillier had bet on Swindon to lose in an FA Cup match against Newcastle. The Town were beaten 5-0. On 5th January 1989, both Macari and Hillier were charged with unauthorised betting. Hillier was suspended from football for six months (later increased to three years), the club were fined £7,500, and Macari £1,000, for what the FA described as a minor role in a "foolhardy misdemeanour"

To be sponsored by them is a disgrace.  Shame on you STFC.

I'm going to have to disagree here. The paper didn't make anything up did they? Hillier did something stupid and was caught. I hardly think you can blame a Newspaper for reporting factual news events can we?

Or is there something more that I am missing?

we've been to Aberdeen, we hate the Hibs, they make us spew up, so make some noise,
the gorgie boys, for Hearts in Europe.
PocketScience

Ignore
« Reply #109 on: Monday, October 31, 2011, 10:07:14 »

Do you really blame Brian Hillier, Lou Macari, Vince Farrar, Gary Herbert or Dave King?  The felt they were acting in the best interests of the club.
It is a commonly help view that what they were doing, (illegale payments to players) was happening up and down the country.
To suggest, as the Sunday people did, they were involved in match fixing, was complete nonsense, but it sells papers.

To be honest I don't know exactly what went on except that they'd been up to something dodgy.
mrverve

Ignore
« Reply #110 on: Monday, October 31, 2011, 10:13:31 »

The kit's got non-league written all over it. It looks cheap and tacky.

However if it means that it generates more money for the club then I'm all for it.

As for the discontent in sacrificing playing red at home for extra revenue, don't hate the player, hate the game.  Cheesy

« Last Edit: Monday, October 31, 2011, 10:15:44 by mrverve » Logged
nevillew
Tripping the light puntastic

Ignore
« Reply #111 on: Monday, October 31, 2011, 10:18:41 »

Just so everyone's clear...

From swindon-town-fc-co.uk

The Sunday People printed revelations that chairman Brian Hillier had bet on Swindon to lose in an FA Cup match against Newcastle. The Town were beaten 5-0. On 5th January 1989, both Macari and Hillier were charged with unauthorised betting. Hillier was suspended from football for six months (later increased to three years), the club were fined £7,500, and Macari £1,000, for what the FA described as a minor role in a "foolhardy misdemeanour"

To be sponsored by them is a disgrace.  Shame on you STFC.

So, should we assume that the sponsorship is worth the equivalent of £7500, adijusted for inflation ?

Paolo Di Canio, it's Paolo Di Canio
Bumpkin

Ignore
« Reply #112 on: Monday, October 31, 2011, 14:55:45 »

1. They didn't just "report the facts".  It's a red top.
2. "To be honest I don't know exactly what went on except that they'd been up to something dodgy"  Speaks volumes.

You and countless other Town fans could benefit from a history lesson about our club. 
nevillew
Tripping the light puntastic

Ignore
« Reply #113 on: Monday, October 31, 2011, 15:14:12 »

1. They didn't just "report the facts".  It's a red top.

It's a white top - that's the problem.

Paolo Di Canio, it's Paolo Di Canio
chalkies_shorts

« Reply #114 on: Monday, October 31, 2011, 18:20:14 »

Do you really blame Brian Hillier, Lou Macari, Vince Farrar, Gary Herbert or Dave King?  The felt they were acting in the best interests of the club.
Lionel Slave Trader Smart was the fucking mole.
Frigby Daser

Ignore
« Reply #115 on: Monday, October 31, 2011, 18:25:35 »

I think I'm right in saying Spurs have different sponsors for European and league games, but both on the white shirt. A reasonable compromise on this whole issue would be a red shirt, with a different sponsor and different design. They could have done a retro/classic design as a nod to the history of the FA Cup. That would sell bucket loads, keep us in red and avoid any ill feeling.

Bottom line is, well...the bottom line. How much will we make,including the indirect effect of people not going, getting annoyed etc. We don't have the luxury of being able to ignore revenue streams for the sake of history and sentiment like the big clubs occasionally can and do, but there was a much better way of doing this one.
Swindon-Town-FC.co.uk

Ignore
« Reply #116 on: Monday, October 31, 2011, 18:52:27 »

There was a much better way of doing this.... STFC's first FA Cup game was in October 1886, and I believe the Town's main colours were white during that period.

If this had been a white shirt to recognise the 125 year anniversary, I think the general vibe would have been a lot more positive.
ChalkyWhiteIsGod
TOLD YOU SO

Ignore
« Reply #117 on: Monday, October 31, 2011, 19:06:11 »

There's a petition ongoing which has been posted on facebook.

http://www.ipetitions.com/petition/swindonfacupshirt/
Costanza

Ignore
« Reply #118 on: Monday, October 31, 2011, 19:22:15 »

I get the impression that some people on that signiture list that have missed the point regarding The People reference. One certainly implies that Swindon Town being sponsored by The People is disgraceful because it's not a tabloid titan like The Sun or Mirror as opposed to the early 90's scandal Smiley
Ralphy

Ignore
« Reply #119 on: Monday, October 31, 2011, 19:41:43 »

One said we were demoted back in the 80's.

I'm pretty sure it was 1990 !
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 7 [8] 9 10 11   Go Up
Print
Jump to: