Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: End of the Premiership Cartel?  (Read 3873 times)
scatman

Ignore
« Reply #15 on: Tuesday, October 4, 2011, 20:29:43 »

does anyone else find it all confusing. yes, i am thick as shit.
Batch
Not a Batch

Ignore
« Reply #16 on: Tuesday, October 4, 2011, 20:40:54 »

I'm thick too.

I get the current deal is to sell games separately to each country that wants them , all at different priced.

I think the suggestion is that this practice would stop, and an EU wide rights sale would happen - presumably meaning one broadcaster would own the lot or everyone pays the same??

Either way I'm sure Sky will find a legal way around letting their domestic stranglehold be maintained.
scatman

Ignore
« Reply #17 on: Tuesday, October 4, 2011, 20:45:32 »

think i might take a dump on my sky box
Summerof69

Ignore
« Reply #18 on: Tuesday, October 4, 2011, 20:48:47 »

I think this might help explain it :

http://www.bbc.co.uk/blogs/davidbond/2011/10/pubs_v_premier_league.html

And this simply explains why Sky won't lose out :

In the event of a ruling which backs Mrs Murphy's appeal, the League is likely to create one Europe-wide live TV rights package which Sky or another pan-European broadcaster could buy for the same sort of money Sky currently pay, if not more. They could then either show it on the continent themselves or sub licence to foreign TV companies.

BAZINGA !!

Join the Red Army Fund and donate at www.redarmyfund.co.uk

Join the Football Supporters Federation for FREE at www.fsf.org.uk/join.php
Samdy Gray
Dirty sneaky traitor weasel

Ignore
« Reply #19 on: Tuesday, October 4, 2011, 20:51:31 »

I'm being thick but how will this get round the ruling?

The way I read it, there are two issues.

1) Sky are pissed off that consumers can get a cheaper deal by buying a foreign box

2) The PL are pissed off that people are getting around their "no games broadcast at 3pm" rule.

The ruling on the case affects both issues. 1) is Sky's problem because they will no longer be able to hold a monopoly on PL games in the UK because the judge has ruled that it is perfectly legal for consumers to source themselves a better deal from abroad. 2) is the PL's problem because by allowing these euro boxes people can get around the current 3pm rule. They will remedy this by setting up future europe wide TV rights to ban the broadcast of 3pm games.
Matchworn Shirts
For Sale

Ignore
« Reply #20 on: Wednesday, October 5, 2011, 12:17:33 »

I fucking hate Sky, SkySports and all that bollocks
The money it brought has ruined football in England, and the power they have over the game is a complete joke.

Its a pointless stand, but out of priciple I will never subscribe to that shite

I come from a land down-under
Bob's Orange
Has brain escape barriers

Ignore
« Reply #21 on: Wednesday, October 5, 2011, 13:30:03 »

The money it brought has ruined football in England, and the power they have over the game is a complete joke.

I agree that the money has ruined our game.

However I enjoy watching the games and Sky programmes are on the whole much better than what is served up on BBC and ITV etc, so for that reason I will continue to subscribe.

we've been to Aberdeen, we hate the Hibs, they make us spew up, so make some noise,
the gorgie boys, for Hearts in Europe.
ghanimah

Ignore
« Reply #22 on: Wednesday, October 5, 2011, 14:25:11 »

Not just Sky but mostly because of, ironically (in this context) the EU Bosman Ruling which led to an explosion of players wages.

"We perform the duties of freemen; we must have the privileges of freemen ..."
stfcinbmth

« Reply #23 on: Wednesday, October 5, 2011, 18:41:07 »

The way I read it, there are two issues.

1) Sky are pissed off that consumers can get a cheaper deal by buying a foreign box

2) The PL are pissed off that people are getting around their "no games broadcast at 3pm" rule.

The ruling on the case affects both issues. 1) is Sky's problem because they will no longer be able to hold a monopoly on PL games in the UK because the judge has ruled that it is perfectly legal for consumers to source themselves a better deal from abroad. 2) is the PL's problem because by allowing these euro boxes people can get around the current 3pm rule. They will remedy this by setting up future europe wide TV rights to ban the broadcast of 3pm games.

I doubt if 1) will happen as folk will have to pay to an installer to move their dish to another satellite, and in a lot of cases fit a larger dish as the crappy sky mini dish is too small, although an enterprising installer could be making a few bob supplying the whole package. The easier option that will suit most people is to keep paying sky

I've been watching 3pm games for donkeys years, before the so called 'Premiership' was even thought of. Totally agree with Matchworn Shirts however, I don't and won't subscribe
« Last Edit: Wednesday, October 5, 2011, 18:45:24 by stfcinbmth » Logged
Summerof69

Ignore
« Reply #24 on: Wednesday, October 5, 2011, 18:52:35 »

I agree that the money has ruined our game.

However I enjoy watching the games and Sky programmes are on the whole much better than what is served up on BBC and ITV etc, so for that reason I will continue to subscribe.

Fully agree. I worry more about the extra money the Champions League sides gets, especially in smaller nations, where it means they get a massive advantage especially when the so-called Financial Fair Play starts.

Good article here about Bate Borisov (2nd story down) :

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/article-2044425/Carlos-Tevez-toast-Martin-Samuel.html

BAZINGA !!

Join the Red Army Fund and donate at www.redarmyfund.co.uk

Join the Football Supporters Federation for FREE at www.fsf.org.uk/join.php
michael
The Dude Abides

Ignore
« Reply #25 on: Wednesday, October 5, 2011, 18:59:33 »

Sky money hasn't ruined football; what the clubs and governing bodies do with the riches flowing through their accounts, that's what has ruined football.

In other sports the tv money is used intelligently, take cricket for example: the Sky deal effectively subsidises the entire county game, as well as enhancing the infrastructure from grass roots upwards, consequently producing a national side that is smashing everyone else to bits.

Probably too late now for football to get it right?
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up
Print
Jump to: