Pages: 1 ... 532 533 534 [535] 536 537 538 ... 560   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: Managerial Merry-go-round 2021-2022; sack, shuffle, repeat  (Read 1967499 times)
Bob's Orange
Has brain escape barriers

Ignore
« Reply #8010 on: Thursday, December 2, 2021, 16:12:18 »

Almost every success/failure is purely down to recruitment - with a huge dollop of luck, good or bad.

And if I'm not wrong, Ben Chorley was pivotal in a lot of players brought in under Wellens? (Until he was let go) And this season's recruitment is certainly looking spot on and we are having a great season so you could be onto something Aud. 

we've been to Aberdeen, we hate the Hibs, they make us spew up, so make some noise,
the gorgie boys, for Hearts in Europe.
The Artist Formerly Known as Audrey

?Absolute Calamity!?

Ignore
« Reply #8011 on: Thursday, December 2, 2021, 16:14:57 »

Just look at Garner’s tenure at Rovers. A disaster for all. But it was Widdrington as head of recruitment. Garner has been given free rein here. It can’t be overstated how important the ‘behind the scenes’ set up is.
Bob's Orange
Has brain escape barriers

Ignore
« Reply #8012 on: Thursday, December 2, 2021, 16:21:21 »

Just look at Garner’s tenure at Rovers. A disaster for all. But it was Widdrington as head of recruitment. Garner has been given free rein here. It can’t be overstated how important the ‘behind the scenes’ set up is.

The whole setup at the club now has been ripped up and sorted out properly, new gym, proper medical staff, sports science etc just to name a tiny part of what has changed. We are now being run like a forward thinking football club and not a Sunday league outfit being run to fill LP'c pockets.

Future is definitely bright.

we've been to Aberdeen, we hate the Hibs, they make us spew up, so make some noise,
the gorgie boys, for Hearts in Europe.
horlock07

Lives in Northern Bastard Outpost

Ignore
« Reply #8013 on: Thursday, December 2, 2021, 16:28:13 »

Wellens will do OK reading that guff piece on the BBC website he obviously has friends in the media.

I'm not on the STFC Facebook pages, has the clamour already started to sack garner and get him back.
Batch
Not a Batch

Ignore
« Reply #8014 on: Thursday, December 2, 2021, 16:57:00 »

Now I'm over the well and truly over the 'Jilted John' phase, I wish Wellens nothing but good luck for the future.

I know some think he got lucky here, but it doesn't matter. We were on a very very low ebb and he gave a brilliant 3/4 of a covid curtailed season, and that really lifted our deflated fanbase.
Jimmy HaveHave

Ignore
« Reply #8015 on: Thursday, December 2, 2021, 16:59:45 »

I still think he will come good but not sure at what level

So, give no fucks
TheDukeOfBanbury

Ignore
« Reply #8016 on: Thursday, December 2, 2021, 17:26:18 »

Still rate him as technically a good coach.
However he can fall out with players very quickly and evidently has fallen out with almost the Donny squad and are terrified of making mistakes.
Peter Venkman
We don't need no stinking badges.

Back Off Man, I’m A Scientist.

« Reply #8017 on: Friday, December 3, 2021, 09:54:10 »

I don't wish Wellens any ill and yes technically he is a good coach but not a good man manager from what I have heard with fall outs at every club he has been at with his players.

I think he is a perfect fit for big clubs academies where he can coach and nurture young players without the pressure getting results, he can play a possession based passing game which suits them or dealing with player egos who think they should be starting games.

Only a fool does not know when to hold his tongue.
Abrahammer

A legitimate dude sighting

Ignore
« Reply #8018 on: Friday, December 3, 2021, 10:13:30 »

Nice fella, would like to have a pint with him

Thought he was also brilliant on the fan/community engagement side of things, taking coaching sessions for young kids etc

Also thought the lure of living back with his family shouldn’t have been as downplayed as it was. Not saying it was the main factor in his decision to leave but it would have clearly paid a significant part in it, as it would have for most people
Peter Venkman

« Reply #8019 on: Friday, December 3, 2021, 10:28:05 »

Nice fella, would like to have a pint with him

Thought he was also brilliant on the fan/community engagement side of things, taking coaching sessions for young kids etc

Also thought the lure of living back with his family shouldn’t have been as downplayed as it was. Not saying it was the main factor in his decision to leave but it would have clearly paid a significant part in it, as it would have for most people

Nobody even at the time blamed Wellens for wanting to be closer to his family at this awful time when he moved to Salford.

I think with hindsight we can see that he knew things were not rosey with Powers ownership as well, it was just disappointing that he went to a team in a lower league.

Since he left us he has only won a grand total of just 17 matches and had 24 defeats from a total of 56 games, a win rate of only 25% and a loss rate of 43%.

If you count his last part season with us too then the figures were 20 wins and 30 losses in his last 65 matches at 3 clubs a 30% win rate and a loss rate of 46%.

There is no doubt he will get another job in management but I think academy management would suit his skill set a lot more than being a club manager.

Crackity Jones

« Reply #8020 on: Friday, December 3, 2021, 10:33:46 »

I think Wellens has proved he can be a good club manager. He has a promotion on his CV. As someone pointed out before (Bob's Orange?) he needs help on the recruitment side. His tactical knowledge is great and while he may alienate some players, I am certain that others love his style.
Peter Venkman

« Reply #8021 on: Friday, December 3, 2021, 10:42:04 »

I think Wellens has proved he can be a good club manager. He has a promotion on his CV. As someone pointed out before (Bob's Orange?) he needs help on the recruitment side. His tactical knowledge is great and while he may alienate some players, I am certain that others love his style.
He does have a promotion(*) but also has a relegation and he leaves Donny 6 from clear safety with 6 defeats and 1 draw in his last 7 games. He was given a large budget by Doncaster in pre season too and missmanaged that if you read their fans forums.

horlock07

Ignore
« Reply #8022 on: Friday, December 3, 2021, 11:04:09 »

He does have a promotion(*) but also has a relegation and he leaves Donny 6 from clear safety with 6 defeats and 1 draw in his last 7 games. He was given a large budget by Doncaster in pre season too and missmanaged that if you read their fans forums.

Was he, the BBC story suggested he had been working on a shoestring budget.
Peter Venkman

« Reply #8023 on: Friday, December 3, 2021, 11:26:55 »

Was he, the BBC story suggested he had been working on a shoestring budget.
They have 41 registered 1st teamers and Wellens was allowed to bring in 11 players in the Summer with Knoyle, Ro-Shaun Williams, Bostock, Hiwula, Dodoo and Close all commanding large wages he also brought in 5 Premier League loanees 2 from Watford, 1 from Newcastle and Man Utd and Matt Smith from Arsenal too.

horlock07

Ignore
« Reply #8024 on: Friday, December 3, 2021, 11:38:48 »

They have 41 registered 1st teamers and Wellens was allowed to bring in 14 players in the Summer with Knoyle, Ro-Shaun Williams, Bostock, Hiwula, Dodoo and Close all commanding large wages he also brought in 5 Premier League loanees 2 from Watford, 1 from Newcastle and Man Utd and Matt Smith from Arsenal too.

So this from the BBC was possibly even more smoke up the arse than I cynically suspected.

In many respects it was the impossible job. Richie Wellens was brought in to recreate the style and success of the glory years under Sean O'Driscoll with a much smaller budget.

Rovers hierarchy made no secret of their financial issues in a post-Covid era, but difficulties became all too apparent before a ball was kicked in August.

Trialists were forced to leave because contracts couldn't be finalised, whilst existing Rovers players couldn't or wouldn't move on because of the deals they were on.

Injuries have also blighted Wellens tenure leading to a distinct lack of potency; it's the main footballing reason they are where they are, with just 11 goals in 19 games. So another long term plan hasn't lasted from one window to the next.
Pages: 1 ... 532 533 534 [535] 536 537 538 ... 560   Go Up
Print
Jump to: