Pages: 1 ... 13 14 15 [16] 17 18 19 ... 560   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: Managerial Merry-go-round 2021-2022; sack, shuffle, repeat  (Read 1967956 times)
Chubbs

Ignore
« Reply #225 on: Saturday, February 4, 2012, 19:09:37 »

Can't see Keene last much longer at Blackburn after today

I can
stfcinbmth

« Reply #226 on: Saturday, February 4, 2012, 19:11:48 »

I can

The owners want a Yes man
TheMajorSTFC

Ignore
« Reply #227 on: Sunday, February 5, 2012, 01:47:50 »

Kean Out!

#VivaKenBarlow!
janaage
People's Front of Alba

Ignore
« Reply #228 on: Sunday, February 5, 2012, 08:42:21 »

I look at it more in terms of achievement.  If (big if) PDC manages to get us promoted this season - and then leaves - he would go down in STFC history as the man who took us back to League 1 at the first time of asking.  Impressive, but hardly the stuff of legend.  Sturrock did precisely this 5 years ago and he is well remembered for it, but he would struggle to make it in to the managerial 'hall of fame'.

Now suppose PDC takes us up, and then takes us up again.  He would then be the manager who had taken us to the 2nd tier for the first time in over a decade.  He would have emulated Macari and would rightly be remembered is much the same way.  Having laid all the ground work, as @MacPhlea says, I would hope that this is what PDC is aiming for.  And with the right backing from the board, which appears to be there, we could potentially be in with a shout.

This is the bit that excites me.  Getting back in to League 1 kind of gets us back to where we started before the horror of the 2010/11 season...which should never have happened.  It's what happens when we (hopefully) push on from there that will define PDC's legacy.

EDIT:  I meant to finish off by saying that if PDC does ever get us up to Championship level again, I would then understand completely if he moved on at that point.  He would have a tangible achievement to reflect on with us, and would rightly be thinking about the next phase of his career.  I don't think there would be much of an incentive to stay with us much beyond that point.

100% agree with that. And this is the theme of many a conversation I have with my advisers around the south when asked about PDC.
OOH! SHAUN TAYLOR
- FACT!

Ignore
« Reply #229 on: Sunday, February 5, 2012, 12:01:31 »

I look at it more in terms of achievement.  If (big if) PDC manages to get us promoted this season - and then leaves - he would go down in STFC history as the man who took us back to League 1 at the first time of asking.  Impressive, but hardly the stuff of legend.  Sturrock did precisely this 5 years ago and he is well remembered for it, but he would struggle to make it in to the managerial 'hall of fame'.

Now suppose PDC takes us up, and then takes us up again.  He would then be the manager who had taken us to the 2nd tier for the first time in over a decade.  He would have emulated Macari and would rightly be remembered is much the same way.  Having laid all the ground work, as @MacPhlea says, I would hope that this is what PDC is aiming for.  And with the right backing from the board, which appears to be there, we could potentially be in with a shout.

This is the bit that excites me.  Getting back in to League 1 kind of gets us back to where we started before the horror of the 2010/11 season...which should never have happened.  It's what happens when we (hopefully) push on from there that will define PDC's legacy.

EDIT:  I meant to finish off by saying that if PDC does ever get us up to Championship level again, I would then understand completely if he moved on at that point.  He would have a tangible achievement to reflect on with us, and would rightly be thinking about the next phase of his career.  I don't think there would be much of an incentive to stay with us much beyond that point.
I agree with most of that Ardiles. This is more than a 'job' with PDC, it is a long term project. One in which he has had fantastic backing and as far as I can tell, complete autonomy. There are very few other clubs, if any who could offer this. Yes, I guess he will move on at some point, there are very few managers who don't (Gradi and Ferguson being about the only examples). But both he and Jeremy Wray have proved to me to be men of their word. Di Canio has also, in the past, proved himself to be very loyal and not solely motivated by money, the best example of this being when he turned down Man Utd to stay at West Ham.

I don't see him going anywhere in the foreseeable future but as has been said, we're going to have to get used to him being 'linked' (whatever that actually means) with just about every vacancy going as we did with Macari.

Just a couple of small points I would take issue with. I wouldn't say promotion is a 'big' if at all to be fair. I will be very, very surprised if we don't get promoted. Also, if Di Canio got us to the Championship, why would he not then think about getting us into the Premier League? Especially when clubs like Wigan, Swansea, Hull, Stoke, Burnley and Blackpool have got there (albeit with varying degrees of success)
Batch
Not a Batch

Ignore
« Reply #230 on: Sunday, February 5, 2012, 12:07:20 »

nice guessing about pdc. I think he'd be off in a shot if the right offer came, just like anyone else. time will tell. I'm just going to enjoy it while it lasts
OOH! SHAUN TAYLOR
- FACT!

Ignore
« Reply #231 on: Sunday, February 5, 2012, 13:48:17 »

nice guessing about pdc. I think he'd be off in a shot if the right offer came, just like anyone else. time will tell. I'm just going to enjoy it while it lasts

Di Canio isn't 'anyone else' though and the 'right offer' would have to be an extremely good one in my ever so humble opinion. As you say though, we're all just guessing and I am indeed enjoying it immensely while it lasts. We had about 5 years of speculation with Macari and he very nearly went to Chelsea about a year before  he finally went to West Ham. Long may it continue.
Flashheart

« Reply #232 on: Sunday, February 5, 2012, 13:52:17 »

I reckon he'll stay until he thinks he can take us no further.

Unless West Ham come in, at which point we may as well start looking for a replacement right away.
fatbasher

« Reply #233 on: Sunday, February 5, 2012, 15:56:42 »

Having read the last 6 or so posts allow me to add to the speculation because that's all it is, none of us know the minutiae of the relationship between Paolo, Jeremey, his contract and the club as a whole including us fans.

The key words are loyalty and potential. Now we all know (or should) his past history with WHU as a player. I'd like to push into the arena that this given time and success here, pale into insignificance that of which he is and will build up with us going forward.

Look into the Future. As a club we now have the ingredients to to propel us to the premiership, anyone disagree?

In case the answer is yes or what are they I'll list my key ingredients...

1) Money 2) Aspirations 3) A hungry Manager. 4) Huge potential on all levels

The man come across as being fiercely loyal above all else. He went to the board and admitted he had got things wrong, stated what he needed to put it right and asked the board to sack him if they felt he was not the man they thought they had or that he could not deliver what he said he would. Back me or sack me. Well we know the story so far and you would be a brave man or woman to bet against us going up. I'll tell you this too, we're going up next season as well.

I honestly can see us in five years time being either top of the pile in the championship pushing for promotion to the premier league or already there with an almost new stadium for good measure.

Shit from China (far fetched), maybe but this man is like a virulent disease once you get a sniff you're hooked. I had a business meeting in between the Southampton and Rotherham games in September. I was asked by most of my fellow football supporting colleagues if we had made a monumental mistake in appointing Paolo. My response? No, no, no. I put them straight. "Come the second half of the season we'll be up there challenging for the top spot".

We had our annual conference Wednesday/Thursday this week. I could not hide my joy in the wetherspoons pub in Chester the night before when my Blackberry bleeped and my wife had told me the fourth goal went in. I felt so, so proud to be a supporter of STFC. The next two days at the conference including the Gala (black tie) dinner the following night, my shit eating grin was all that was needed to remind everyone of that meeting in September when the conversation turned to footballing matters. Oh it's so lovely being a town fan at the moment and long may it continue.

Paolo, it's Paolo is here for the long haul. He has the potential to be a Cloughie here and mark my words he has a point to prove to many people in football.

He's proved it here already though as the man's obsessed he'll carry on.

Shout for me on Tuesday please, I'll be in pub in Petersfield giving it large with my shirt on.
SwindonOldie

Ignore
« Reply #234 on: Sunday, February 5, 2012, 16:06:46 »

Dave Jones favourite for Leeds Job, as low as 5/6 with Ladbrokes 
Swindon Please Win

Ignore
« Reply #235 on: Wednesday, February 8, 2012, 19:29:10 »

Capello resigns as England manager.
leefer

Ignore
« Reply #236 on: Wednesday, February 8, 2012, 19:41:48 »

Dave Jones favourite for Leeds Job, as low as 5/6 with Ladbrokes 

Warnock,its Warnock!
Langers

Ignore
« Reply #237 on: Wednesday, February 8, 2012, 19:42:19 »

Capello resigns as England manager.

Bloody hell. Didn't see that one coming!
Chubbs

Ignore
« Reply #238 on: Monday, February 13, 2012, 11:37:17 »

Wolves have sacked Mick McCarthey
Matchworn Shirts
For Sale

Ignore
« Reply #239 on: Monday, February 13, 2012, 11:43:51 »

Wolves have sacked Mick McCarthey

cheerio SMB

I come from a land down-under
Pages: 1 ... 13 14 15 [16] 17 18 19 ... 560   Go Up