Pages: 1 ... 12 13 14 [15] 16 17 18 ... 560   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: Managerial Merry-go-round 2021-2022; sack, shuffle, repeat  (Read 1967161 times)
Peter Venkman
We don't need no stinking badges.

Back Off Man, I’m A Scientist.

« Reply #210 on: Wednesday, February 1, 2012, 14:05:43 »

And I am pretty sure they will got for Yorkshireman Neil Warnock to replace him.

Only a fool does not know when to hold his tongue.
guy66

Ignore
« Reply #211 on: Wednesday, February 1, 2012, 14:07:56 »

I think Paolo will be safe, Warnock and Billy Davies are the favourites to be next in Ken Bate's firing line..It may be idealistic and overly optimistic but I believe him when Paolo says he is here for the longterm.
Gnasher

Prefers animals to people (in a non sexual way)

Ignore
« Reply #212 on: Wednesday, February 1, 2012, 14:10:28 »

Not worried at all. The only club he'd leave us for is West Ham (or Lazio!)

Cats are better than dogs FACT
london_red

Ignore
« Reply #213 on: Wednesday, February 1, 2012, 14:10:54 »

Unfortunately, the better we do the more we are going to have to get used to Paolo getting linked to any and every high profile job that comes up.

As JJ said though, I don't think we should be too worried in this instance.
Nemo
Shit Bacon

Ignore
« Reply #214 on: Wednesday, February 1, 2012, 14:12:10 »

Christ, can you imagine the working relationship between PDC and Captain Birdseye?
Peter Venkman

« Reply #215 on: Wednesday, February 1, 2012, 14:13:25 »

Unfortunately, the better we do the more we are going to have to get used to Paolo getting linked to any and every high profile job that comes up.

I agree fully, when Macari was in charge his name was linked to every single vancancy that came up, get used to it cos it will happen frequently.

juddie

Ignore
« Reply #216 on: Wednesday, February 1, 2012, 14:14:11 »

Why would anyone even think the club/Paolo would consider Leeds?

Have a word with yourselves. Nonsense.
london_red

Ignore
« Reply #217 on: Wednesday, February 1, 2012, 14:17:04 »

To be fair, don't think anyone has said they did think he would consider it.
Flashheart

« Reply #218 on: Wednesday, February 1, 2012, 14:18:28 »

Would he consider a fairly big club like Leeds?..... Possibly
Would he consider working with a cunt like Bates?..... No way, Jose.
@MacPhlea

Ignore
« Reply #219 on: Wednesday, February 1, 2012, 15:05:07 »

PDC is in a position with us to set up long term managerial success.  Many clubs rely on managers to come and do a job without changing their internal culture.  The likes of Man Utd rely their culture, methods, ethos, training day to day operation are in place and players know that with Fergie they ain't going to rule the roost - few managers achieve this and this in the main (along with a decent pot of money) has ensured Fergie remains a successful boss - I doubt when he leaves they will continue being as successful or as feared - look at Liverpool;  Unbeatable under Shankley but since Paisley they have struggled.

PDC has done the hard work here.  He's cleared the crap out of the cupboard, laid down the standards, changed the culture, won the fans over and is on the verge of completing the double. 

Yes, it's lower league but we have the strongest foundation of a club built on real funds, without fraud and without the fear that we will go under.  PDC gets on well with Wray and the respect is mutual.  Even if he went to West Ham I doubt he would receive the same backing through times like the Clarke incident and so any move, whilst it may pay more, wouldn't necessarily mean he can manage in the way he has done here.

I am realistic and know it is likely that at some point he will move on but we can all live in hope that in 5 years time he will still be here and leading the Town out for a top of the table clash at Old Trafford.
Peter Venkman

« Reply #220 on: Wednesday, February 1, 2012, 15:08:14 »

I am realistic and know it is likely that at some point he will move on but we can all live in hope that in 5 years time he will still be here and leading the Town out for a top of the table clash at Old Trafford.

Amen to that.

@MacPhlea

Ignore
« Reply #221 on: Wednesday, February 1, 2012, 15:12:36 »

One final note... PDC wouldn't jump ship at West Ham for more money or success at Manure... can't see he's changed his ways as a manager...
Ardiles

Stirlingshire Reds

Ignore
« Reply #222 on: Wednesday, February 1, 2012, 15:15:16 »

I look at it more in terms of achievement.  If (big if) PDC manages to get us promoted this season - and then leaves - he would go down in STFC history as the man who took us back to League 1 at the first time of asking.  Impressive, but hardly the stuff of legend.  Sturrock did precisely this 5 years ago and he is well remembered for it, but he would struggle to make it in to the managerial 'hall of fame'.

Now suppose PDC takes us up, and then takes us up again.  He would then be the manager who had taken us to the 2nd tier for the first time in over a decade.  He would have emulated Macari and would rightly be remembered is much the same way.  Having laid all the ground work, as @MacPhlea says, I would hope that this is what PDC is aiming for.  And with the right backing from the board, which appears to be there, we could potentially be in with a shout.

This is the bit that excites me.  Getting back in to League 1 kind of gets us back to where we started before the horror of the 2010/11 season...which should never have happened.  It's what happens when we (hopefully) push on from there that will define PDC's legacy.

EDIT:  I meant to finish off by saying that if PDC does ever get us up to Championship level again, I would then understand completely if he moved on at that point.  He would have a tangible achievement to reflect on with us, and would rightly be thinking about the next phase of his career.  I don't think there would be much of an incentive to stay with us much beyond that point.
« Last Edit: Wednesday, February 1, 2012, 15:32:03 by Ardiles » Logged
DiV
Has also heard this

Joseph McLaughlin

Ignore
« Reply #223 on: Wednesday, February 1, 2012, 17:26:30 »

...you've also got to remember that if a club did come in for Di Canio - then Wray would have to accept a compensation package first, which I dont think he would.
RJack

Ignore
« Reply #224 on: Saturday, February 4, 2012, 19:08:51 »

Can't see Keene last much longer at Blackburn after today
Pages: 1 ... 12 13 14 [15] 16 17 18 ... 560   Go Up
Print
Jump to: