Pages: [1] 2 3 4 ... 12   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: Where do you think we'll finish?  (Read 20190 times)
Mark Hanrahan

Ignore
« on: Friday, July 22, 2011, 23:11:01 »

After a period of settling in I honestly believe we'll swiftlynmove up the gears and win the division.

How is everyone else feeling? Positions please...

"Great save, Digby."
phelpsieboy

« Reply #1 on: Friday, July 22, 2011, 23:14:45 »

Alot of opposition fans seem to think we are going to fail, however I have a good feeling we are going to cruise to a top 3 finish with this team
Arch Stanton

Wallowing in negativity

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: Friday, July 22, 2011, 23:21:26 »

I honestly, honestly really don't know...... I still think we'll either be an unstoppable force or a complete train wreck - no middle ground.

I think I'll be in a better position to answer this question after 20mins of the Crewe game. I was full of optimism for Todd's first season - we had lots of new players, a great pre-season, but I knew after ten minutes of that first home game to Colchester that the season was going to be a disaster.

Whatever happens, its gonna be such a [horrid cliche] rollercoaster ride [/horrid cliche] -  I mean, c'mon, new smart card turnstiles for heaven sakes, so even before I get to my seat its gonna be pant wettingly exciting...
Barry Scott

« Reply #3 on: Friday, July 22, 2011, 23:21:46 »

It'll be a fucking cakewalk.

(I don't think I've felt otherwise though, at any point, during pre-season, in the last decade or more. Therefore my opinion only shows that I'm not worth listening to.)
Batch
Not a Batch

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: Saturday, July 23, 2011, 06:32:18 »

Somewhere between first and last (inclusive).

Di Canio talks a great game. I have absolutely no idea about the playing quality though, even after Supermarine.
Barnard

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: Saturday, July 23, 2011, 07:40:44 »

I'm just hoping for a top half finish. I'm excited and can't wait to see the team in action, but theres a not so little voice in the back of my head shouting 'Calm down, you can't put together a team this quickly and expect it to do anything straight away'.

If we sign a big thug of a Centre Forward I might let my optimism run away with me though.
suttonred

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: Saturday, July 23, 2011, 07:52:40 »

We've spent money, probably more than the other 22( bar Crawley) put together, the stuff coming out of the club about winning the league, means if it's not quite right in a couple of months there is more. It could all end up badly of course, but I doubt it, I'm confident we'll be top 3, and might even win it, if we get the confidence flying early doors.

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: Saturday, July 23, 2011, 08:00:36 »

1st, and i've put my money where my mouth is
OOH! SHAUN TAYLOR
- FACT!

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: Saturday, July 23, 2011, 08:20:27 »

I'm optimistic, but then I always am (similar to 'Bang On Barry'). That's my default setting. I do think there are plenty of reasons to be optimistic though.

Yes, there are a lot of unknowns, in terms of both players and management (no one's actually seen our club captain play - that's a pretty unusual situation to say the least!). It's a totally new squad with 12 new signings (if McCormack and Easyjet sign) with still more to come.

That said, we have players who are proven at L2/Conference level (for me, there's little or no difference between the top half of the Conference and L2) such as Devera, Connell and Smith. We also have players who we know can play at a higher level such as Ritchie and Caddis. As for the others, we will have to wait and see but I believe that Di Canio will prove to be a good judge of a player. Only time will tell of course.

In addition, I believe that passion, commitment, discipline and work rate get you a hell of a long way in this division and whatever the limitations of the players might be, I think this team is not going to be lacking in any of those qualities. Di Canio will not allow any those things to slip. It has been said that Di Canio has talked a good game so far and that is certainly true. He clearly believes every word he says and will put it all into practice in the months ahead. I can see him being a breath of fresh air not just for STFC but for English football (hmmmm....just read that back and even I can see I'm getting a bit ahead of myself there with that last bit but who knows?)

I do agree that signing a 'big thug' centre forward will make a hell of a difference to how the season pans out. It appears that type of player is Paolo's next/last target so that will be an interesting one.

At the end of the day, no one knows what the fuck will happen but I don't see any reason (or any point) in being pessimistic at this point.

OST's prediction (write it down) Top 7 (comfortably).
« Last Edit: Saturday, July 23, 2011, 08:23:14 by OOH! SHAUN TAYLOR » Logged
The Professor

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: Saturday, July 23, 2011, 08:22:39 »

Always difficult at this time of year to form a definitive view. New players in who on the face of it sound decent, pre-season performances tend to be impressive when we wallop non-league opposition but then reality smacks you one when the season starts and we face our first league opponents in a competitive game.

Positives that I draw - new manager & support team who are keen to make an impression in their first managerial appointment, fitness levels are better than the last couple of seasons, non-tolerance of prima donnas or cliques in the club and a raft of new players who's credentials on paper sound impressive & who have performed well in the pre-season friendlies.

Doubts - several players are untried in English League Two and therefore remain unknown quantities, how they'll adapt to many very competitive games over a 46 game season especially on cold January or February midweek evening games, will some players who can't get into the first team want to leave, demand transfers especially without a reserve team league to play in & therefore reduced opportunities to showcase their talents, will there be opportunities for younger players who've come up through the youth team?

Ever the optimist though I hope for a top five finish as a minimum.  Main threats to come from Bristol Rovers have also spent freely, Gillingham , Northampton, Crawley, perhaps Shrewsbury & Ling's Torquay. I wouldn't discount our neighbours from the Kassam being in the mix either. Wilder is a good manager & he's also recruited some talent like Leven from Franchise - should add spice to the August game.
Huwwy

"The world is my lobster"

Ignore
« Reply #10 on: Saturday, July 23, 2011, 08:38:11 »

For me it's down to how long we hold on to Di Canio. I have a fear that if we are flying and West Ham are struggling we could well lose him. I'm not sure how many of his new recruits would still be happy here if that happens. That aside, if we keep him it's a top three finish for me.
Barry Scott

« Reply #11 on: Saturday, July 23, 2011, 08:45:54 »

For me it's down to how long we hold on to Di Canio. I have a fear that if we are flying and West Ham are struggling we could well lose him. I'm not sure how many of his new recruits would still be happy here if that happens. That aside, if we keep him it's a top three finish for me.

I've decided, perhaps wrongly (we shall see), that as di Canio seems quite big on loyalty, respect and candour, I believe he will stay until the end of his contract - if he's wanted.

He's not a run of the mill bloke, therefore I don't think he'll act like it. I fully expect him to turn down any overtures from other teams, even WHU, until his job here is done. I firmly believe we'll have 2 of the best seasons we've had in a very long time.
OOH! SHAUN TAYLOR
- FACT!

Ignore
« Reply #12 on: Saturday, July 23, 2011, 08:48:42 »

He's not a run of the mill bloke, therefore I don't think he'll act like it.

Agree with that 100%
Spencer_White

« Reply #13 on: Saturday, July 23, 2011, 08:51:25 »

I think West Ham will be top 2. High stakes. If they are not promoted then they are in big trouble.
Batch
Not a Batch

Ignore
« Reply #14 on: Saturday, July 23, 2011, 08:58:31 »

I've decided, perhaps wrongly (we shall see), that as di Canio seems quite big on loyalty, respect and candour, I believe he will stay until the end of his contract - if he's wanted.

That's what I said about Sturrock Wink If PDC gets us promoted then fucks off its job done for me.
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 ... 12   Go Up
Print
Jump to: