Pages: 1 2 [3] 4   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: Paolo Di Canio.  (Read 6326 times)
Spencer_White

« Reply #30 on: Tuesday, July 5, 2011, 20:35:36 »

So how many championship class players looks set to be in L2 next season?

I dont know, they will appear during the season. Go and watch a few games maybe you'll be able to have your own opinion instead of asking other people questions ad infinitum.

You will have to pester someone else now for amusement, im off.
BANGKOK RED

« Reply #31 on: Tuesday, July 5, 2011, 20:37:24 »

Ha
Benzel

Ignore
« Reply #32 on: Tuesday, July 5, 2011, 20:50:24 »

So by that logic we could have 5 NPC standard players who have just been signed/are on trial.

Sweet!

Is your cat making too much noise all the time?
Notts red

Ignore
« Reply #33 on: Tuesday, July 5, 2011, 22:51:15 »

I think it is probably going to take A few games more than some people would like to allow Paolo to change the team around and for most of the new players to adapt to div 2 English football. We should be on the right track fitness wise but until a few games have been played, especially away from the relative comfort of the county ground I won't be expecting us to be going on a great run like when wise came. Love it if I'm wrong though !
Peter Venkman
We don't need no stinking badges.

Things can only get better

« Reply #34 on: Wednesday, July 6, 2011, 08:14:11 »

Gillingham yesterday signed Charlie Lee, now he could still play in the Championship....at a push.

Otherwise I am hard pushed to name many more in our league that would do well even a league above.

The one that does crop up all the time is Le Fondre and hes never really done anything outside of L2.

Only a fool does not know when to hold his tongue.
magicroundabout
Fanta Pants

Ignore
« Reply #35 on: Wednesday, July 6, 2011, 08:19:19 »

i'm suprised we haven't tried to snap him up. i'd have him here thats for sure

Peter Venkman

« Reply #36 on: Wednesday, July 6, 2011, 08:30:50 »

i'm suprised we haven't tried to snap him up. i'd have him here thats for sure

I think it was the £500k price tag that put so many clubs off him.

Spencer_White

« Reply #37 on: Wednesday, July 6, 2011, 08:37:44 »

I'll talk about strikers from last season because I dont see enough of the players in other positions.

Anyone remmember Gareth Ainsworths performance in the 2-2 draw at Wycombe that scuppered our hopes of automatic promotion? No Championship team would touch him with a barge pole, granted, because he is ancient, and his legs could go at any moment. But they havnt and he was excellent for Wycombe last season. Unfashionable but a very good player. Simmilarly Corr for Southend, no one would touch him with a barge pole for his injuries (although Jewel at Ipswich was reportedly tempted). Example of an up and comming younger player, Millwall and City were both bidding for Rotherhams Ryan Taylor.

Player from a few years ago, Grant Holt. He looked washed up in Forests reserves, dropped down to Shrewsbury, got game time and resurected his career. There will be quite a few older players down there determined to get their careers back on track.

As I said, I dont know who will come to the fore, but some players will be playing to that sort of standard come the end of the season. Thats the sort of standard we'll need to be mixing it for automatic. Theres no point deriding the league, and hoping that some of last years players will be good enough. For example, Kennedy, couldnt cut it at Rotherham, and Phil Smith was well below standard second half of last season (both keepers were), neither are good enough on their recent performances. Anyway, thats my opinion. You can take it or leave it.
herthab
TEF Travel

Ignore
« Reply #38 on: Wednesday, July 6, 2011, 08:43:09 »

But of the players we've still got from last season, Caddis, Ferry and Ritchie could cut it at a higher division. Arguably so could Manks (If his injuries are behind him).

We've also got players coming in who we know nothing about. They could be league 2 standard, or they could be much better than that.

Time will tell...

It's All Good..............
Peter Venkman

« Reply #39 on: Wednesday, July 6, 2011, 08:46:05 »

The thing is as well.......even players of a lower standard than we as fans expect, can play as a team to good effect, it may not be the most entertaining of teams but then neither was Sturrocks team when we went up last time, it was workmanlike performances with little stand out individuals but they all played for each other and as a team.

With PdC's work ethic in training and what he wants from the team I am confident that we will do well but as herthab says....Time will tell.

Ignore
« Reply #40 on: Wednesday, July 6, 2011, 08:54:17 »

The gulf in quality of league 2 and say championship quality players isn't alot in most cases. Of course you get exceptions who will stand out but generally I don't think there is much in it.
Consistancy and application are the only real differences i think. Take a player like jpm for instance. He has the ability to cut it in at least the championship. What he lacks is the consistancy to be able to do it.
It's a very fine line,likewise the line between making it as a pro and not. Some cracking lads get released at 16 and drift into the abyss.

For where stfc is now i don't think there is a written rule for success or the type of players to achieve it.
I am convinced that work ethic,desire and application will get us along way though,and may even see players performing to a high standard regularly and increasing their potential
BANGKOK RED

« Reply #41 on: Wednesday, July 6, 2011, 09:37:10 »

Spence

You've just listed players whom by your own admission would not be touched by champ clubs. And the one example you did give was a few years ago.

Errrm.....
Don Rogers Shop

« Reply #42 on: Wednesday, July 6, 2011, 09:42:11 »

Without wanting to offend anyone could you two not maybe just put eachother on ignore from now on?
Spencer_White

« Reply #43 on: Wednesday, July 6, 2011, 09:42:54 »

Spence

You've just listed players whom by your own admission would not be touched by champ clubs. And the one example you did give was a few years ago.

Errrm.....

I was talking about Championship level performances. Of course there will be reasons why Championship clubs wouldnt take them on.
BANGKOK RED

« Reply #44 on: Wednesday, July 6, 2011, 09:42:57 »

it's fun though
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4   Go Up
Print
Jump to: