Pages: 1 [2] 3 4   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: Paolo Di Canio.  (Read 6292 times)
Costanza

Ignore
« Reply #15 on: Tuesday, July 5, 2011, 19:46:00 »

Just like any other new dawn in football, this new era could go either way. I wouldn't commit to over-optimism or pessimism at this stage. This is the awkward stage of the summer when fans get restless and impatient over squad development. This happens every year without fail, regardless of who is in charge.

Also, I personally I don't care what nationalities the new players are... Di Canio is building his squad is he not? Paul Sturrock did it so why can't PDC? Perhaps he doesn't know the players that well but the Leon Knight incident proved that PDC isn't completely influenced/controlled by the agents. The fall of Knight was, for me, reassuring and not only because it was Leon Knight involved.

I've said it before and so have others, if Di Canio does practice what he preaches then we'll be fine.
BANGKOK RED

« Reply #16 on: Tuesday, July 5, 2011, 19:46:23 »

We need a squad of players that are better than the other teams have

5 championship players? Come on....... How many championship class players did we have the last time we went up from this league?
Don Rogers Shop

« Reply #17 on: Tuesday, July 5, 2011, 19:48:22 »

I have to be honest i can't even name 5 players in the whole division who are championship quality.
nochee

« Reply #18 on: Tuesday, July 5, 2011, 19:58:20 »

I aint got a scooby-fucking-do how we're going to do this season. Roll Eyes
Exactly, nobody can have the faintest idea how this team will pull together. Most are speaking like our presence in L2 will only be a fleeting visit. I hope they are right.

Roll on August I suppose COYR
Spencer_White

« Reply #19 on: Tuesday, July 5, 2011, 19:59:44 »

We need a squad of players that are better than the other teams have

5 championship players? Come on....... How many championship class players did we have the last time we went up from this league?

We didnt, probably why we only just scraped automatic promotion.

That season was a bit disjointed in terms of the season. Different players looked class at different times. Roberts under Wise was excellent, then went shit, and came back as a winger under Sturrock. Definitely Brezovan before he broke his arm. Williams and Vincent were excellent. Corr and Jutkiewicz at the end of the season.  

You laugh about Chesterfield, but I bet they have got players who will go on to hold their own in the Championship in the next few seasons. Unless Sheridan is an absolute genius.
Don Rogers Shop

« Reply #20 on: Tuesday, July 5, 2011, 20:02:09 »

We didnt, probably why we only just scraped automatic promotion.

That season was a bit disjointed in terms of the season. Different players looked class at different times. Roberts under Wise was excellent, then went shit, and came back as a winger under Sturrock. Definitely Brezovan before he broke his arm. Williams and Vincent were excellent. Corr and Jutkiewicz at the end of the season. 

You laugh about Chesterfield, but I bet they have got players who will go on to hold their own in the Championship in the next few seasons. Unless Sheridan is an absolute genius.
I don't think it was disjointed Spence that's just league2 football all over.It's full of inconsistency,the only consistent thing we had all season was our fitness which is what saw us through in the end.
BANGKOK RED

« Reply #21 on: Tuesday, July 5, 2011, 20:02:13 »

You laugh about Chesterfield, but I bet they have got players who will go on to hold their own in the Championship in the next few seasons.

Like whom?
DiV
Has also heard this

Joseph McLaughlin

Ignore
« Reply #22 on: Tuesday, July 5, 2011, 20:07:33 »

Ive been shocked at how complacent DV has been in terms of the quality of L2. For me if you really want to go out and win L2 and be the outstanding team you will still need 5 players currently capable of playing at Championship level.

The likes of Chris Zebroski, Elliot Benyon, Marvin Morgan and Matt Harlord are all seen as top L2 players.

All have failed miserably in League One.

One of Chesterfields top players was Craig Davies - binned off by Wolves, Oldham and Brighton previously. We'll see how he gets on at Barnsley next season.
Spencer_White

« Reply #23 on: Tuesday, July 5, 2011, 20:09:49 »

Like whom?

I dont know. I dont pretend to know things about a football team I dont go and watch.

But I do know to be the outstanding team in any league, you usually need to have that extra quality that can usually cut it in the leagues above.

Im not expecting us to have that sort of quality, but we need to be aiming at that sort of standard.
Costanza

Ignore
« Reply #24 on: Tuesday, July 5, 2011, 20:11:12 »

The likes of Chris Zebroski, Elliot Benyon, Marvin Morgan and Matt Harlord are all seen as top L2 players.

All have failed miserably in League One.

One of Chesterfields top players was Craig Davies - binned off by Wolves, Oldham and Brighton previously. We'll see how he gets on at Barnsley next season.

...whereas there have been a good few Non-Leaguers to go beyond L2 and do really well. To quote Garth Algar, "isn't that weird?"

[url width=302 height=220]http://www.psychologytoday.com/files/u210/garth_algar_3.jpg[/url]
« Last Edit: Tuesday, July 5, 2011, 20:14:18 by Costanza » Logged
Spencer_White

« Reply #25 on: Tuesday, July 5, 2011, 20:11:36 »

I don't think it was disjointed Spence that's just league2 football all over.It's full of inconsistency,the only consistent thing we had all season was our fitness which is what saw us through in the end.

Id agree with that.
BANGKOK RED

« Reply #26 on: Tuesday, July 5, 2011, 20:14:23 »

...whereas there have been a good few Non-Leaguers to go into beyond L2 and do really well. To quote Garth Algar, "isn't that weird?"

[url width=302 height=220]http://www.psychologytoday.com/files/u210/garth_algar_3.jpg[/url]

Good call.

Maybe it's because the non-leaguers have not been 'discovered' yet. Whereas the L2'ers have been discovered and are playing at their level.
BANGKOK RED

« Reply #27 on: Tuesday, July 5, 2011, 20:17:48 »

I dont know. I dont pretend to know things about a football team I dont go and watch.

So, can you think of any other team in L2 that has 5 or so championship class players.

If so who are they and if not, how did you come to your conclusion?
Spencer_White

« Reply #28 on: Tuesday, July 5, 2011, 20:26:22 »

So, can you think of any other team in L2 that has 5 or so championship class players.

If so who are they and if not, how did you come to your conclusion?

From watching games in the last season we were down there.

It tends to be old players on their way down, and youngish players on their way up. Remmember they are not rotting away in reserve or youth football, they are getting competitive action and improving all the time.

The only easy away win I remmember in the L2 season last time was Boston away, where they really did roll over, and made Pook and B Sturrock look excellent.
BANGKOK RED

« Reply #29 on: Tuesday, July 5, 2011, 20:28:08 »

So how many championship class players looks set to be in L2 next season?
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4   Go Up
Print
Jump to: