Pages: 1 ... 8 9 10 [11] 12 13 14 ... 35   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: New Town Boss to be Announced Next Wednesday  (Read 56490 times)
Frigby Daser

Ignore
« Reply #150 on: Friday, May 13, 2011, 15:13:10 »

So who do people think it will be for me a 3 way split
Burley
PDC
Trollope
Not sure which way it will go
Burley and PDC will attract players to the club not sure if trollope will
More so Di Canio. Many of todays players would have watched him for years and looked up to him.  We'd get players who might otherwise go for L1 clubs looking at us this summer and coming to us because he's in charge. What would be interesting is who he'd bring in as assistant. He'd want someone he knows I suspect. Who did he work with at West Ham that might be looking to get into coaching now?
welshred

Ignore
« Reply #151 on: Friday, May 13, 2011, 15:15:05 »

I think half of the job (hmm, maybe a third) in being the successful manager for us next season will be the creation of a bit of hype, and the ability to attract (and keep) quality players.

For me, it has to be Burley. A good track record, and a pretty big name in the footballing world (for us anyway). After him, I'd go for PDC, purely because he's a big name, the hype around it would be pretty big, from the local and national media. Also, both are likely to have some very good contacts, and both would have the ability to attract players to the club, and persuade the current crop to stay.
« Last Edit: Friday, May 13, 2011, 15:21:07 by welshred » Logged
magicroundabout
Fanta Pants

Ignore
« Reply #152 on: Friday, May 13, 2011, 15:15:20 »

So why would he apply for the job, and fly (or walk) in for an interview?

I'm getting dizzy

mixed bag on PDC. has he just got his name in the press for a managers job to try and attract a better deal? or is he serious about learning his trade at the bottom and working his way up?

either way i don't think Wray is going to hire PDC due to the fact they have a set plan of wanting out of this division at the first attempt and PDC is an unknown so they'd be taking a massive punt on him acheiving something at the first attempt.

if Burley has applied we'd be stupid not to hire him.

when i mention a better deal i mean attracting a higher profile club.

Nemo
Shit Bacon

Ignore
« Reply #153 on: Friday, May 13, 2011, 15:15:35 »

If he was to get Steve Lomas in, the TEF would officially have won.
Reg Smeeton
Walking Encyclopaedia

Ignore
« Reply #154 on: Friday, May 13, 2011, 15:18:00 »

Lincoln went for the big untried Prem name player....Chris Sutton...oh
Bathtime

Ignore
« Reply #155 on: Friday, May 13, 2011, 15:20:21 »

when i mention a better deal i mean attracting a higher profile club.
Why has it got to be Trollope? While I think he did a great job at Bristol Rovers on a limited budget, I think there are question marks over how good he is without a DOF

Because Trollope wont cost a fortune to employ and he has experience at this level. Has Burley managed at this level before - Di Canio just to much of a risk.

Bathtime
mrverve

Ignore
« Reply #156 on: Friday, May 13, 2011, 15:21:22 »

and then they went for the experienced steady hand in Tilson...oh
Riddick

Ignore
« Reply #157 on: Friday, May 13, 2011, 15:21:29 »

Do we know if Burley is even on the list? Has BBC Swindon said anything like they did about PDC?
Benzel

Ignore
« Reply #158 on: Friday, May 13, 2011, 15:23:12 »

Perhaps he wants to get a feel for managing a lower league club, perhaps he wants his ego stoked....perhaps he`s a bit hard up and he fancies a trip to Wiltshire....fucks knows but I cant see him getting it. I dont think Wray will want to take the risk. This is bottom basement and we need to get out...not the time for taking on untried foreigner

If he's hard up why would he fly to England for a trip to Wiltshire?

Is your cat making too much noise all the time?
magicroundabout
Fanta Pants

Ignore
« Reply #159 on: Friday, May 13, 2011, 15:23:54 »

The Advertiser understands that former West Ham striker Paolo Di Canio is keen to cut his managerial teeth at Town and has been interviewed this week.

Peter Taylor and ex-Scotland boss George Burley are also believed to be on the eight-man shortlist, although the latter's agent, Athol Still, refused to confirm the Scot's interest when contacted by the Advertiser.

maybe not even on the list but agent refused to confirm so to me that says he is

Ardiles

Stirlingshire Reds

Ignore
« Reply #160 on: Friday, May 13, 2011, 15:26:25 »

...which goes to prove that sometimes appointing a name works, and sometimes it doesn't.  Hardly conclusive.

It's the ideas that the name brings with him that matter.  Without them, the only benefit you'll see will be maybe 500 extra season tickets, a few hundred others added to the gate each Saturday for the first few weeks of the season and one or two players on the books who otherwise would have turned us down.  The novelty of all that will wear off by October if the new man doesn't have a clear idea of what it will take to get us winning again.

So I'll ask again...what sort of football does Di Canio stand for?  How does he like to play and will this need to be adapted for Division 4?  With Burley, it's a little easier to answer those questions.  Not discounting Di Canio at all...but he's going to have to interview well and give credible answers to some basic, but important questions.
« Last Edit: Friday, May 13, 2011, 15:28:56 by Ardiles » Logged
Reg Smeeton
Walking Encyclopaedia

Ignore
« Reply #161 on: Friday, May 13, 2011, 15:29:04 »

and then they went for the experienced steady hand in Tilson...oh

As we know to our cost, once the rot has set in, it can be very difficult to change.

Sutton took Hutchinson....clearly a fella with no idea about footballers.
Trashbat?

Ignore
« Reply #162 on: Friday, May 13, 2011, 15:32:49 »

Because Trollope wont cost a fortune to employ and he has experience at this level. Has Burley managed at this level before - Di Canio just to much of a risk.

I agree that we dont need to go breaking the bank and getting ourselves back into debt, but just because he is cheap and has experience at this level isn't a great endorsement
Bathtime

Ignore
« Reply #163 on: Friday, May 13, 2011, 15:37:47 »

I agree that we dont need to go breaking the bank and getting ourselves back into debt, but just because he is cheap and has experience at this level isn't a great endorsement

Its not a bad start and if he makes a fist of it he will become a real hero...I saw the Rovers game a GC last season and he had completed sussed us...we`ve got to be a bit realistic on who might actually know his way round this league.

Bathtime
Reg Smeeton
Walking Encyclopaedia

Ignore
« Reply #164 on: Friday, May 13, 2011, 15:41:21 »

...which goes to prove that sometimes appointing a name works, and sometimes it doesn't.  Hardly conclusive.

Indeed it isn't, because the whole exercise is so hit and miss.  On papar you'd think Sutton would have done OK...big name, comes from a football family, I believe his pop is some sort of youth coach at Norwich, for whom he played, credited with producing some of the talent they churned out a few years back.

Kept his nose reasonably clear of incident apart from the odd drunken fracas, indeed had he applied for our job, many would have wanted him, but with the warning not much lower league experience.

It's the experience that we'll need next season....
Pages: 1 ... 8 9 10 [11] 12 13 14 ... 35   Go Up
Print
Jump to: