Pages: 1 ... 3 4 5 [6] 7 8 9 ... 14   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: Wise or...  (Read 32952 times)
Ginginho

Ignore
« Reply #75 on: Monday, April 4, 2011, 10:48:23 »

It was 3-0 at their place Wink

(I have a mate who is a Rovers fan and he has great delight in reminding me on a regular basis of both games from last season)
Oh, and since they won on Sat and are looking much more likely to stay up than us he's become even more of a cunt.
fuzzy

A Bastard apparently

Ignore
« Reply #76 on: Monday, April 4, 2011, 11:12:04 »

I could have sworn we scored but maybe it was 3-1 at there`s...they were the one team that I remember we struggled against last season. No big fan of Trollope but I dont think he would be the worst choice. And if he made a job of it...what a returning hero he would be.....

The more I think about it...give him a go, fuck all to lose in my book

Fuck all to lose? Aprt from doing as well next season as we did this season and getting demoted to the Blue Square Premier League....

Oh. Hang On.....

"We Are Premier League say We Are Premier League!"
lazyboy

Ignore
« Reply #77 on: Monday, April 4, 2011, 11:23:50 »

lee dixon, and his assistant could be martin (monkey) keown, alot of contacts and no messing Cheesy

Keowns son plays with my boy at Reading (U16s) both been given scholarships for next year. I'll ask Martin tonight at training if he fancies a job at Swindon.
Bathtime

Ignore
« Reply #78 on: Monday, April 4, 2011, 11:32:55 »

Fuck all to lose? Aprt from doing as well next season as we did this season and getting demoted to the Blue Square Premier League....

Oh. Hang On.....

"We Are Premier League say We Are Premier League!"

Glass half full or glass half empty...this season is a one off, which will not be repeated. Club is reasonably secure with Fitton and his backers so...the only way is up........isn`t it or is it really Bath City in the Blue Square...personally I think not but my glass is half full.... Smiley

Bathtime
juddie

Ignore
« Reply #79 on: Monday, April 4, 2011, 13:46:41 »

Interesting that a lot of people assume we were pretty much already down when Wilson left. I disagree. don't get me wrong, rot had set in, but had we brought the right man in I think we could have stayed up (I do think we're down now, I accepted it when we appointed Hart). Christ we had enough winnable games left.

We had three games against teams around us at that stage, and even one win in that lot would have left us in greater shape than we're in now. I don't care what anyone says, the squad we have should be nowhere near the bottom of the table, so the problem is clearly getting a sensible system the players understand (Prutton's arrival definitely affected the midfield), sorting the supposed cliques out – possibly changing captain – and getting back to basics. We know we haven't replaced the players we sold, but Frampton/Grella/Benyon/Prutton should still be good enough to beat Hartlepool, Exeter, Walsall etc. From top to bottom, it hasn't been good enough and the board/manager/players should all take responsibility.

The board made two major mistakes in my opinion. 1. Not getting a new manager in sooner. It didn't make much sense leaving Wilson in for so long. if they were thinking about making a change it should have been done in Jan, when a manager would have had a chance to assess the squad and strengthen with their own players. The Charlton win clearly papered over the cracks - let's face it, this terrible run started before the end of last season. 2 Their second mistake, arguably the biggest, was getting Paul Hart. I don't care what he did at Palace last season. For a start, they had some quality players at that level. We needed someone to come in and inspire the players and fans, an immediate pick-me-up. What we've got is a duo who thrive on safety first, who play one up front. not losing is fine, but winning is essential when you're in the shitter. Draws aren't good enough. If a short-term deal was on the table, then someone like a Martin Allen would have been better. He might not be everyone's cup of tea, but he's the ultimate man-motivator and would ruffle a few feathers. We would have won A game with him in charge, I'm sure. Maybe he wasn't available or didn't want it, but it was that sort of bloke we needed.

We might be in League Two next season but as showed the last time we went down, we are still an attractive proposition. Wise and Sturrock took it on last time, so why should we think it'll be different this time? We will have a strong squad for that division and the club has a semblance of financial stability - a lot of managers would bite your hand off for that.

If we appoint Trollope I think he'd do ok. Like others have said he did a great job until this year, when he's had his best players sold (like wilson) and little money to spend (unlike wilson). BUT I think it would be a huge mistake not to see who else applies. I think the board would be pleasantly surprised. I also think it would make sense getting someone on the coaching staff who cares - an Alan Mac, Shaun Taylor, I don't know who, but someone who gives a sh1t when the chips are down.

This season has been a calamity, no question: but if the board play their cards right we could smash League Two and bring that momentum back into League One. Do that and everyone will be able to look back and laugh at this season's car crash. Well, maybe!

Inevitably some fans won't bother next year, but most of us will. If it's good, and we learn from this year, it could be good in the long run, but only if the right decisions are made.
Nemo
Shit Bacon

Ignore
« Reply #80 on: Monday, April 4, 2011, 13:49:47 »

Excellent post Juddie.
BANGKOK RED

« Reply #81 on: Monday, April 4, 2011, 14:04:43 »

this terrible run started before the end of last season

Word
juddie

Ignore
« Reply #82 on: Monday, April 4, 2011, 14:13:41 »

been storing that one up for some time. Can you tell?
Ardiles

Stirlingshire Reds

Ignore
« Reply #83 on: Monday, April 4, 2011, 14:28:16 »

Excellent post, Juddie.  Nail on the head.
juddie

Ignore
« Reply #84 on: Monday, April 4, 2011, 14:39:25 »

Well, I'm as livid as the next man about what's going on, but the fact is it's happening, so we all better deal with it.

But, the board can redeem themselves with a barnstorming year next year and then it's as you were.

personally, regardless of what league we're in, the prospect of a new manager and new players and a fresh start is quite exciting. Anything but this endless crock of wank.
Nick Bamosomi
Bitter & Twisted

Ignore
« Reply #85 on: Monday, April 4, 2011, 17:06:25 »

What a great post Juddie

Never , under any circumstances, take a sleeping pill and a laxative on the same  night
Peter Venkman
We don't need no stinking badges.

Things can only get better

« Reply #86 on: Monday, April 4, 2011, 17:16:33 »

Well, I'm as livid as the next man

Not if the next man is DVinho! Cheesy

Only a fool does not know when to hold his tongue.
OOH! SHAUN TAYLOR
- FACT!

Ignore
« Reply #87 on: Monday, April 4, 2011, 18:14:13 »

What a great post Juddie

I concur Yes
Iffy's Onion Bhaji
petulant

Ignore
« Reply #88 on: Monday, April 4, 2011, 18:15:01 »

The original gamble in sticking by Wilson was the thing that's fucked me off the most. I'd have preferred Trollope to be appointed before the January transfer window closed. How brilliant would it have been if he'd come in and saved us but Rovers had gone down?

I had a sinking feeling when I heard Hart's name mentioned as next in line, but I changed my mind thinking any change to freshen things up would be better than Wilson. The problem is nothing has changed. Hart hasn't got a fucking clue and this was evidenced so well yesterday. He must have got lucky in keeping Palace up.

From what I've seen of Rovers under Trollope they were a hard working team who played to their strengths and did well out of it. Even when they sold fatty Lambert they still did alright. It was only this season he didn't do well but that's got to be due to budget restrictions. In contrast we've spent big. What a shambles.

Pretty much agree with all of that.
JanAageisGod

Ignore
« Reply #89 on: Monday, April 4, 2011, 18:46:47 »

Keowns son plays with my boy at Reading (U16s) both been given scholarships for next year. I'll ask Martin tonight at training if he fancies a job at Swindon.

That's depressing enought that son of a Town fan plays for Reading juniors Sad

Pages: 1 ... 3 4 5 [6] 7 8 9 ... 14   Go Up
Print
Jump to: