Pages: 1 ... 59 60 61 [62] 63 64 65 ... 135   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: Games games games  (Read 521157 times)
jayohaitchenn
Wielder of the BANHAMMER

« Reply #915 on: Thursday, December 5, 2013, 16:18:53 »

Cheat! I managed half an orbit earlier. I keep running out of fuel so must be doing something wrong. I'll keep at it though. Great game.
Samdy Gray
Dirty sneaky traitor weasel

Ignore
« Reply #916 on: Thursday, December 5, 2013, 16:29:29 »

Haven't used it yet Tongue

Was reading last night about how to get into orbit efficiently and using as little fuel as possible. The game uses proper Newtonian physics so works on the basis of Δv, drag, terminal velocity etc.

At lower atmosphere the terminal velocity is around 150m/s. Try and thrust past that and the increased drag will just waste fuel. Atmosphere thins at 10,000km, so drag reduces and you can throttle back to maintain a constant velocity and save fuel.

I tried the MOAR POWER route and added more fuel tanks & engines, but that adds to weight and just makes flying the thing even more difficult.

But when you do hit 10,000km you want to be orientating the rocket at around 45º to try and get into some orbit. Once you reach space (70,000km) you can shut off throttle and then prepare for an orbit burn using manoeuvre mode in map view (hit M on the keyboard).

Because of the proper physics it's quite difficult to try and keep the thing pointing in one constant direction when the weight is always reducing because of fuel usage and staging, whilst also taking into account drag reducing at thinner atmosphere.

It really is quite addictive and feeds my inner geek very well.
Honkytonk

Whoo Whoo!

Ignore
« Reply #917 on: Thursday, December 5, 2013, 23:44:11 »

You using MechJeb Samdy? MechJeb is great. Saves you faffing about making silly mistakes. I'd recommend people learn how to do stuff properly first though, gives you a grounding in physics that comes in very handy later.

Also if you do career mode, science can be a bitch to come by to start with, but do what I (accidentally) did and it becomes really easy to procure- send a probe with sciencey things on it on a super elliptical orbit that causes it to get caught by the sun- observing stuff that's as far away from your boggo orbit gave me about 400 science the first time round!

It can be really difficult to return though, so make sure you've got plenty of electrical power (sticking loads of batteries on so you light up like a christmas tree is a good idea as they barely weigh anything) and a comm antenna just in case.

For rocket building I highly recommend the Kerbal Engineer mod. Shows you the thrust to weight, max delta v, all sorts of useful stuff, and you'll be surprised how much difference something like having a stage fire later can do for you.

Anyone with the demo who feels they're missing out on space planes, don't worry- they're buggy and broken, and virtually impossible to use. Mods are needed to make them even vaguely flyable in the context KSC wants you to use them in
jutty274

Ignore
« Reply #918 on: Friday, December 6, 2013, 00:06:46 »

I have a game on my phone that is similar to this rocket building game, the phone game is called simple rockets. It really isn't simple though.
4D
Or not 4D that is the question

I can't bear it 🙄

Ignore
« Reply #919 on: Friday, December 6, 2013, 00:10:01 »

Bless, you lot playing spaceman 

Samdy Gray

Ignore
« Reply #920 on: Thursday, January 2, 2014, 12:08:08 »

I invested far, far too much time into KSP over the Christmas break.

I've cracked getting into orbit (without assistance from MechJeb). I've also managed an orbit (and succesful return) of the Mun and Minmus.

Yesterday, I managed to get a lander onto the moon but burnt up all of my fuel on entry so now poor Bill Kerman is stranded until I can send a rescue mission.

Progressing quite well with career mode, the extra equipment unlocks like solar panels certainly help. How are you getting on Honkytonk?
Honkytonk

Whoo Whoo!

Ignore
« Reply #921 on: Thursday, January 2, 2014, 17:06:24 »

Well-ish, have done the opposite and barely played it over christmas. My sandbox space station is taking shape nicely (slowly building the infrastructure to make an inter-planetary mission, hopefully going to be able to use it to visit every single planet/moon, including enough probes/rovers etc. to explore them), although career mode is going hilariously poorly- I landed on the Mun (great!) and was dicking about in low gravity on EVA and kind of killed my pilot (not so great!). The idea came to me that I should mount a rescue mission for the stranded craft (it had valuable science etc. on board and no antenna, it had plenty of fuel left and I thought it would be a laugh). Cue four missions where my bigger, better capsules kept smashing into the Mun because I got distracted or underestimated my approach speed, or ended up being forced to land in a crater and the whole lander toppling over and exploding. Finally got a rescuer landed safely, EVA'd over, and the damn engine had randomly fallen off the bloody capsule! Waste of fuel, time and Kerbals, but hilarious nonetheless.

Will pop up some screengrabs relatively soon. Been fiddling around with editing savefiles just to cut out all the bloody tedious getting to orbit with all the fuel for my interplanetary craft. Takes me a minute to lug up and dock a bunch of full tanks instead of 15 minutes of orbiting and rendezous and so on.
Samdy Gray

Ignore
« Reply #922 on: Thursday, January 2, 2014, 18:02:40 »

Orbital rendezvous was quite tricky to master. Pulled it off successfully yesterday when I sent up an unmanned probe to rescue Jeb who'd been stuck in low Kerbin orbit without power or fuel.
Flashheart

« Reply #923 on: Thursday, January 9, 2014, 08:22:08 »

Playing sins of a solar empire in HD for the first time. I always thought it was a very pretty game but in HD it is stunning.
Gethimout

« Reply #924 on: Thursday, January 9, 2014, 09:50:26 »

Playing sins of a solar empire in HD for the first time. I always thought it was a very pretty game but in HD it is stunning.

I've played this on a lan party - so much to the game it's unreal! Only played it the once and couldn't get my head around it. Seriously need some practice! Good game though.
jayohaitchenn
Wielder of the BANHAMMER

« Reply #925 on: Thursday, January 9, 2014, 13:16:39 »

Great game. Very complicated. The Star Trek Next Generation Mod looks cools as fuck.
Honkytonk

Whoo Whoo!

Ignore
« Reply #926 on: Thursday, January 9, 2014, 13:36:32 »

Great game. Very complicated. The Star Trek Next Generation Mod looks cools as fuck.

I'm... gonna have to go download that now...
Flashheart

« Reply #927 on: Thursday, January 9, 2014, 14:01:05 »

Wait, what? I didn't know about that. Is it available yet? Had a butchers but can't find it.
Bewster

We fucking love you Gumbo!

Ignore
« Reply #928 on: Thursday, January 9, 2014, 14:12:44 »

Elite: Dangerous is due out in March   Grin
Honkytonk

Whoo Whoo!

Ignore
« Reply #929 on: Thursday, January 9, 2014, 15:46:52 »

Wait, what? I didn't know about that. Is it available yet? Had a butchers but can't find it.

I found this: http://www.moddb.com/mods/star-trek-armada-3
Pages: 1 ... 59 60 61 [62] 63 64 65 ... 135   Go Up
Print
Jump to: