Pages: 1 [2] 3   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: Owls man in peace!  (Read 6103 times)
TheDukeOfBanbury

Ignore
« Reply #15 on: Sunday, November 28, 2010, 16:37:01 »

TANGO WILL WITH IS GAY MATES.

Tango Man will never be your icon leader...........There was only Sammy from the 70's and early 80's. Understand the old boy is no longer with us. RIP.
If there was any footy fan that ever scared the shit out of me as a young lad then that was Sammy. Remember him ?
leefer

Ignore
« Reply #16 on: Sunday, November 28, 2010, 17:32:19 »

http://www.sheffieldforum.co.uk/showthread.php?t=81761

Sounds a case.....this link is from 2006.

Of course we had Mad Ernie and Bert Cummings.
Buster Owl

« Reply #17 on: Sunday, November 28, 2010, 17:59:54 »

Back in the 90's (when Town seemed to play on Sunday every other week), I used to go & watch Wednesday games with a Wednesday supporting mate.

In fact, we travelled away to their first game in the UEFA cup in 1992 away to Spora Luxembourg (I did wear a Town shirt so it's OK Smiley ).

Having won the home leg 8-1, there wasn't an awful lot riding on the away game but there were still about 3000 Wednesday fans at the second leg.

I think it's fair to say that they do usually travel in quite good numbers
I think we will sell our allocation ,not actually sure how much the away end old,s.
Posh Red
Posh by name, Posh by nature

Ignore
« Reply #18 on: Sunday, November 28, 2010, 18:10:11 »

It's about 3300 I think
chalkies_shorts

« Reply #19 on: Sunday, November 28, 2010, 18:36:21 »

I used to stand next to Bert and his mates from Stratton in the Town End. Whatever happenned to him?
Bob's Orange
Has brain escape barriers

Ignore
« Reply #20 on: Sunday, November 28, 2010, 19:12:40 »

Back in the 90's (when Town seemed to play on Sunday every other week), I used to go & watch Wednesday games with a Wednesday supporting mate.

In fact, we travelled away to their first game in the UEFA cup in 1992 away to Spora Luxembourg (I did wear a Town shirt so it's OK Smiley ).

Having won the home leg 8-1, there wasn't an awful lot riding on the away game but there were still about 3000 Wednesday fans at the second leg.

I think it's fair to say that they do usually travel in quite good numbers

I think I may have been to the ground where Spora used to play. I go and watch Avenir Beggen on Sunday's in Lux and their main rival is Racing Union which is basically a franchise of 4 or 5 smaller clubs (Spora included I believe) who merged into one.

First Avenir game was away to Racing Union. Final score 9-0 defeat! Been a fan ever since!

we've been to Aberdeen, we hate the Hibs, they make us spew up, so make some noise,
the gorgie boys, for Hearts in Europe.
leefer

Ignore
« Reply #21 on: Sunday, November 28, 2010, 19:13:48 »

Not sure....think he is still knocking around.
TheDukeOfBanbury

Ignore
« Reply #22 on: Sunday, November 28, 2010, 19:37:55 »

Nice one for posting that link.

So "Sammy" is still alive. Yes they used to pass him around on their fans shoulders. He got thrown out at Swindon one year and they marched him right past the Town End. Coins flying. He looked up and winked and that "death" smile lacking teeth and a horror movie look. The whole TE went quiet as they have never witnessed a fan like that before.

Wednesday was my first ever game for Town (1975) 2-1 win Anderson and Estoe the scorers. Stood that game with the Wednesday fans when you could mingle with the away crowd on the Bank and under the Tin Shed. As a young lad I was hooked and the Swindon bug kicked in.
The singing between the Wednesday fans and the Town End got me hooked so I guess I have a soft spot for the Owls.

Saw the famous Sammy a few times against Swindon and once watching Wednesday V Grimsby at Grimsby (Old League Cup) with Wednesday winning 3-0. (First Leg I recall). Yes as always he was on the Shoulders as they sung "We'd walk a million miles to see one of your smiles ohh Sammy" / "Sammy is our leader"

Always great games against The Wednesday with great atmoshere and more than often it would kick off.

Also remember Wednesday taking over Poxfords ground one year (1-0 to Wednesday). The London Road a sea of blue and white.
Posh Red
Posh by name, Posh by nature

Ignore
« Reply #23 on: Sunday, November 28, 2010, 19:48:11 »

Also remember Wednesday taking over Poxfords ground one year (1-0 to Wednesday). The London Road a sea of blue and white.

I went to a Wednesday game at the Manor one year, the only things I remember were that it was fucking freezing, but my mate wouldn't wear a coat (because he was from the North & thought he was hard for not wearing one), and that Wednesday played in their Lilac away kit.
Have to say it was quite easy cheering someone on against the Pox.
leefer

Ignore
« Reply #24 on: Sunday, November 28, 2010, 19:52:22 »

Nice one for posting that link.

So "Sammy" is still alive. Yes they used to pass him around on their fans shoulders. He got thrown out at Swindon one year and they marched him right past the Town End. Coins flying. He looked up and winked and that "death" smile lacking teeth and a horror movie look. The whole TE went quiet as they have never witnessed a fan like that before.

Wednesday was my first ever game for Town (1975) 2-1 win Anderson and Estoe the scorers. Stood that game with the Wednesday fans when you could mingle with the away crowd on the Bank and under the Tin Shed. As a young lad I was hooked and the Swindon bug kicked in.
The singing between the Wednesday fans and the Town End got me hooked so I guess I have a soft spot for the Owls.

Saw the famous Sammy a few times against Swindon and once watching Wednesday V Grimsby at Grimsby (Old League Cup) with Wednesday winning 3-0. (First Leg I recall). Yes as always he was on the Shoulders as they sung "We'd walk a million miles to see one of your smiles ohh Sammy" / "Sammy is our leader"

Always great games against The Wednesday with great atmoshere and more than often it would kick off.

2006 that link Duke...........so he may have died now.
Remember going to Wednesday in the match where the Town fans pissed off with the refereeing all took red cards.
The size of the home end terracing(before the seating)blew me away.
THE FLASH

Quick as a Flash!

Ignore
« Reply #25 on: Tuesday, November 30, 2010, 09:58:18 »

All we have is the Peacock and Nobby!!

Clems Army!
Phil_S

Who changed my Avatar ?!

Ignore
« Reply #26 on: Tuesday, November 30, 2010, 11:12:28 »

It's a bit of a haze for me but my first away games were in the early 70's when I was a student in s yorkshire. Went to see the town play Rotherham away which we won, & Wednesday away which we also won. I know we scored twice cos it was only when we scored that I realised I was in the wrong end !

From the Dark Side
Saxondale

Ignore
« Reply #27 on: Tuesday, November 30, 2010, 11:19:33 »

All we have is the Peacock and Nobby!!

Nobby was the one at Notts county who had a lot of trouble spelling 'w' Isnt he?

Never knowingly overstated.
Benzel

Ignore
« Reply #28 on: Tuesday, November 30, 2010, 11:22:25 »

What happened to Bungle?

Is your cat making too much noise all the time?
Summerof69

Ignore
« Reply #29 on: Tuesday, November 30, 2010, 12:14:59 »

I remember the League Cup tie against Wednesday in '85, when they were 3rd in the old First Division and had beaten Man Utd 1-0 a few days before, and we were picking up after a poor start in the old Division 4. Peter Coyne scored the winner after 10 mins.

BAZINGA !!

Join the Red Army Fund and donate at www.redarmyfund.co.uk

Join the Football Supporters Federation for FREE at www.fsf.org.uk/join.php
Pages: 1 [2] 3   Go Up
Print
Jump to: