Pages: [1] 2   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: Laptop Sata drivers  (Read 3628 times)
Power to people

Ignore
« on: Friday, August 13, 2010, 10:53:44 »

To build a laptop to XP not using the manufacturers restore disk (as it is Vista) and using a standard XP CD you obviously need the Sata drivers to see the hard drive, are there universal drivers or does it have to be manufacturer specific ?  - I'm assuming you just extract them to CD and then F6 at the relevant point and swap CD's for drivers and then swap back once driver is loaded ?

I should really know this !!
Barry Scott

« Reply #1 on: Friday, August 13, 2010, 10:59:51 »

I had this problem before. I used nlite and created a custom iso adding the raid drivers into my new iso. I'm not completely sure you can add them as you say, or maybe mine were on a floppy? I can't be completely sure, but using nlite and creating your own ISO is a piece of piss.

EDIT: Although that's clearly longer if you can simply insert a disk as you would think! Smiley
« Last Edit: Friday, August 13, 2010, 11:02:35 by Barry Scott » Logged
Peter Venkman
We don't need no stinking badges.

Things can only get better

« Reply #2 on: Friday, August 13, 2010, 11:20:49 »

When I have had this problem in the past I have disabled AHCI disk drive

In BIOS > Integrated peripherals
OnChip Serial ATA - Enabled
SATA Mode - IDE
Onboard H/W Serial ATA - Enabled

Try these first as its trying to recognise the drive as AHCI and not IDE.

Only a fool does not know when to hold his tongue.
magicroundabout
Fanta Pants

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: Friday, August 13, 2010, 11:21:24 »

you need a floppy drive to instal 3rd party raid/sata drivers but do as Barry said and create your own CD with them pre installed. i did this on monday and it really is a piece of piss.

Barry Scott

« Reply #4 on: Friday, August 13, 2010, 11:30:16 »

On a related note, I downloaded a stremalined verison of XP SP3, a only 180mb! That is some mega trimming! Smiley
Peter Venkman

« Reply #5 on: Friday, August 13, 2010, 11:59:20 »

On a related note, I downloaded a stremalined verison of XP SP3, a only 180mb! That is some mega trimming! Smiley

Oh sounds good, I am after an installation of XP sp3 to fit on my little usb stick. Was that a torrent Barry?

Power to people

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: Friday, August 13, 2010, 12:53:26 »

So do you have to create this from a installation of XP or does it just pick it up from the XP cd if you point it and then point it to the relevant drivers for Sata, video, chipset etc
stfcinbmth

« Reply #7 on: Friday, August 13, 2010, 13:43:19 »

Last XP is pretty good
Simon Pieman
Original Wanker

« Reply #8 on: Friday, August 13, 2010, 13:48:17 »

If you have an installation cd then use nlite to create a new one as mentioned. You just need to add the drivers in within nlite's options and it will create a new iso to burn to cd including the added drivers.

When you use the installation cd created from nlite it will install XP along with the drivers automatically, no need to do the F6 option. So it will appear to be no different to a normal install.
Power to people

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: Friday, August 13, 2010, 14:29:08 »

The installation CD is Vista and I want to put XP onto the laptop
Barry Scott

« Reply #10 on: Friday, August 13, 2010, 14:50:23 »

Oh sounds good, I am after an installation of XP sp3 to fit on my little usb stick. Was that a torrent Barry?

No I found it on a site somewhere, it was just a rapidshare or megaupload link or something. I forget where to be honest, but I've just found the ISO and it's called XP Lite. I'll see if I can find the DL link for you and send you a pm.

Also there was another one kicking around called TinyXP and that's only 55MB! Supposed to be crazy fast. Cheesy
Power to people

Ignore
« Reply #11 on: Friday, August 13, 2010, 14:52:38 »

No I found it on a site somewhere, it was just a rapidshare or megaupload link or something. I forget where to be honest, but I've just found the ISO and it's called XP Lite. I'll see if I can find the DL link for you and send you a pm.

Also there was another one kicking around called TinyXP and that's only 55MB! Supposed to be crazy fast. Cheesy

And me.....
Peter Venkman

« Reply #12 on: Friday, August 13, 2010, 14:58:02 »

Cheers Barry Smiley

stfcinbmth

« Reply #13 on: Friday, August 13, 2010, 17:03:08 »

I'll pm you some links JJ

Simon Pieman
Original Wanker

« Reply #14 on: Friday, August 13, 2010, 17:45:03 »

The installation CD is Vista and I want to put XP onto the laptop

Assumed you had an XP disc because that's what you were talking about. You'll need a license or a dodgy license key then.
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up
Print
Jump to: