Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: Is Fitton setting us up for a fall?  (Read 5100 times)
thedarkprince

Hubba-hubba

Ignore
« on: Saturday, June 12, 2010, 08:20:45 »

http://www.thisisswindontownfc.co.uk/news/headlines/8215098._League_One_will_be_easier_next_season_/

“We have got rid of two of the toughest teams in Norwich and Leeds, and I don’t see what is coming to replace them.

“Southampton will be tough, but there are some teams who people expect to be up there who won’t be.

“I’m not convinced by Huddersfield’s push, or Brighton’s push – even though they supposedly have a lot of money behind them now.

“Sheffield Wednesday could go either way. Plymouth? I don’t think so, as they have some rebuilding to do."

Now I agree with what he has to say but should he be making these statements when there's clearly a fair bit of rebuilding to be done at our own club? 

Thoughts please.
« Last Edit: Tuesday, August 3, 2010, 18:52:30 by thedarkprince » Logged
Barry Scott

« Reply #1 on: Saturday, June 12, 2010, 08:27:36 »

Live by the sword, die by the sword. Last year we went unnoticed and exceeded expectations, why dumb down our chances? It's not as if anyone would believe him. He's only saying what every single one of us thinks, how many of us would consider next season a success if we didn't make the play-offs? Few i suspect.

I also don't think him talking us up like this can't harm morale, or make other teams take notice. Next season we'll be under the radar again anyway i think, so whatever Fitton says will be forgotten after a few games and everyone will be wanking themselves off about Southampton, Wednesday, Charlton and 'Udders.
« Last Edit: Saturday, June 12, 2010, 08:58:15 by Barry Scott » Logged
OOH! SHAUN TAYLOR
- FACT!

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: Saturday, June 12, 2010, 08:50:36 »

I think that's just Andrew Fitton. If you ask him a question, he will give as straight and open an answer as he can. When he was asked immediately after the Play Off Final how he felt, he basically said he was very pissed off which was fair enough. Certain somewhat hysterical individuals decided, "Oh my God! Oh my God! Fitton's leaving! The World's going to end, we're doomed!"..and so forth, which was never going to happen. He was just giving a straight, honest answer. That's all he's done here and I think it's a quite a good antidote to DW's politically correct, media friendly answers which can be a bit bland at times. That is no criticism of DW at all. I think he handles the media perfectly and says all the right things. It's just nice to get an alternative view at times.

Will it affect what happens on the pitch and how teams approach us? Not in the slightest.
BANGKOK RED

« Reply #3 on: Saturday, June 12, 2010, 09:07:01 »

For many more years to come we will be little Swindon. The club with no money who can't buy players and are about to go into bankruptcy.

Even promotion to the championship wont change that immediately.
DiV
Has also heard this

Joseph McLaughlin

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: Saturday, June 12, 2010, 09:14:11 »

Out of all the teams he has mentioned we have lost the most key players and bought in 0 replacements so far...

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: Saturday, June 12, 2010, 09:21:40 »

i think southampton will win the league.i'm not sure it wont be as competitive as last year though, around the top end.there wasn't alot between most teams last year so dont expect alot to change in that regard.
thedarkprince

Hubba-hubba

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: Saturday, June 12, 2010, 09:21:45 »

I personally like the fact that he's talking up the chances of Town for next season, a little bit of confidence never did any team any harm.  May also avert a similarly poor start to the season.  
Iffy's Onion Bhaji
petulant

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: Saturday, June 12, 2010, 09:22:49 »

Oh dear. I have to say i disagree with Mr Fitton on that one. We have not got anyone in yet, we've lost our top scorer. Wednesday have made some good signings and will be top 6, Saints should be top 2 with their team and Huddersfield have made 2 very good signings on top of al already good team. I hope that after reading this Fitton has got some aces up his sleeve before we kick off in August because I think it's going to be just as tough if not tougher than last season.
Rustle
Prediction League Champion 2012/13

TEF World Cup Stunners Champion 2010

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: Saturday, June 12, 2010, 09:24:29 »

I can't see fitton making a statement like that if we haven't got the wheels in motion behind the scene.
thedarkprince

Hubba-hubba

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: Saturday, June 12, 2010, 09:30:26 »

i think southampton will win the league.i'm not sure it wont be as competitive as last year though, around the top end.there wasn't alot between most teams last year so dont expect alot to change in that regard.

Yep, reckon Southampton will be right up there providing no CCC clubs come in for any of their top players.  
Rich Pullen

« Reply #10 on: Saturday, June 12, 2010, 10:13:23 »

I think the best we can do is that Play-Offs again. Obviously that's depending on who we bring in.
« Last Edit: Saturday, June 12, 2010, 10:21:10 by Rich Pullen » Logged
Spy

Ignore
« Reply #11 on: Saturday, June 12, 2010, 10:19:05 »

I can't see fitton making a statement like that if we haven't got the wheels in motion behind the scene.

absolutely. make no mistake he's not afraid to get his wallet out when it's needed.
Iffy's Onion Bhaji
petulant

Ignore
« Reply #12 on: Saturday, June 12, 2010, 11:19:50 »

I guess it all depends on how much the board really want promotion.
pride_of_wilts

« Reply #13 on: Saturday, June 12, 2010, 11:39:56 »

I like Fitton's confidence however i don't agree with what he said, It will be just as hard as last season if not harder, There's no doubt that Southampton, Wednesday, Huddersfield & Peterborough will be right up there, Wednesday still have most of their squad from last season and players like Tudgay, Jermaine Johnson & Tommy Spurr etc are too good for this league and have signed a few very good players like Heffernan, Daniel Jones & Sedgwick, Huddersfield have signed 3 very good players for this league in Gudjonsson, Arfield & Naysmith and will no doubt bring in some other good players so i don't see why Fitton is doubting them, Peterborough have so far managed to keep their good players and have made a few good signings and Gary Johnson is a very good manager who knows what it takes to get out of this league.

I can't see us getting automatic unless we bring in 5 or 6 quality players and the board throw a bit of money at it, Getting in the play-offs again is realistic.
pauld
Aaron Aardvark

Absolute Calamity!

Ignore
« Reply #14 on: Saturday, June 12, 2010, 11:58:27 »

"Football club chairman bullish about his side's prospects for next season". What a bastard! Roll Eyes
Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Up
Print
Jump to: