Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5 ... 7   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: Alex Henshall  (Read 18163 times)
leefer

Ignore
« Reply #15 on: Sunday, June 6, 2010, 17:31:57 »

You will be hard pushed though Leefer to find a team outside the premiership who keeps hold of there talented youngsters.

Agreed.
Iffy's Onion Bhaji
petulant

Ignore
« Reply #16 on: Sunday, June 6, 2010, 17:32:08 »

I do find the youth set up very discouraging at Swindon these days,a good or very good prospect is off at the first opportunity(not blaming them,money etc) leaving us with players who to be frank have little or no chance of getting in the first team.....so whats the point of funding this and wouldnt we be better off putting this money to better use.

Isn't the point of funding it to make a profit Leefer? We spend x amount on running it each year but we make a tidy sum when we sell someone like Henshall. I think Fitton made it clear this would be a bit of policy of theirs when they took over.

Ignore
« Reply #17 on: Sunday, June 6, 2010, 17:35:15 »

big clubs will always nick the best players.henshall is the best prospect we have had in years,as in a player who could make the top grade.
OOH! SHAUN TAYLOR
- FACT!

Ignore
« Reply #18 on: Sunday, June 6, 2010, 17:40:29 »

Isn't the point of funding it to make a profit Leefer? We spend x amount on running it each year but we make a tidy sum when we sell someone like Henshall. I think Fitton made it clear this would be a bit of policy of theirs when they took over.

...and in addition to that, with the 'tie ups' with Liverpool, Man City etc these players will be directed in those clubs' directions and in return we will get very promising youngsters not quite ready for the Prem and who maybe need a bit of 'toughening up' from those teams on season long loans, who we would not otherwise have got. It does all make sense.

The only thing that pisses me off a bit is the fact that these boys are buggering off without having kicked a ball in anger for STFC.

Perhaps as we progress upwards (as I am sure we will) we will be able to hold on to a few more of these kids.
OOH! SHAUN TAYLOR
- FACT!

Ignore
« Reply #19 on: Sunday, June 6, 2010, 17:42:38 »

big clubs will always nick the best players.henshall is the best prospect we have had in years,as in a player who could make the top grade.

And I don't doubt that. But how do we know? We never get to see the likes of Henshall in action. As I said in my previous post, it would be nice to get at least one season out of these kids before they bugger off!
leefer

Ignore
« Reply #20 on: Sunday, June 6, 2010, 17:45:59 »

I hope so...all good clubs need a good youth set up..and why all the secrecy on these deals.
Why cant the Town fans like myself know what the fee is,i might be abit happier knowing we get half a million in the long run.
Fact is personally its upsetting to see our best youngsters not even play for the first team...but as DRS said thats life outside the prem.
jonny72

Ignore
« Reply #21 on: Sunday, June 6, 2010, 17:46:45 »

I wonder how much damage the big clubs buying up all the young players does to the quality of up and coming youngsters. Rather than them developing and getting real match experience the vast majority end up sitting in the reserves prior to eventually being released or sold on a few years later.

How many other quality players are there out there like Darby and Ward, who could and should have been playing the full season in the Football League but have done fuck all instead as a big club snapped them up?
Batch
Not a Batch

Ignore
« Reply #22 on: Sunday, June 6, 2010, 17:48:53 »

Jonny I don't often agree with you, but I do today!

Selling players on is an inevitability. But it would be nice to get a season out of them first. I guess money talks. Not much we can do.
stfcinbmth

« Reply #23 on: Sunday, June 6, 2010, 17:52:26 »

Maybe it's time for the FA to re write the rules instead of pandering to the Premiershit

Ignore
« Reply #24 on: Sunday, June 6, 2010, 17:56:48 »

on the flip side.how many young lads get rushed into lower league teams as they have potential?only to struggle for a variety of reasons, and then not make it as a pro.if they were at a bigger club with more decent players around them,they might do better.
there is not wrong or right answer here i'm afraid, as every player is different, and we all know there are no guarantees in football.
jonny72

Ignore
« Reply #25 on: Sunday, June 6, 2010, 18:17:34 »

on the flip side.how many young lads get rushed into lower league teams as they have potential?only to struggle for a variety of reasons, and then not make it as a pro.if they were at a bigger club with more decent players around them,they might do better.

How is that similar? At least the player will have had a chance, if they're not up to it they can continue in the reserves or they'll be released and move on to another club where they get another chance.

Players at Premier League clubs seldom even get a chance. Its not unusual for a Premier League club to have 50 professionals on their books, so half of them won't even get a reserve match once a week. They hold on to players on the off chance they make the grade and aren't too worried if they don't as they can afford their wages, so are happy for them to stay and not play. Football League clubs don't have that luxury, if they ain't good enough they're gone.

Ignore
« Reply #26 on: Sunday, June 6, 2010, 18:24:42 »

the bigger clubs have more money and can afford to be more patient with a player,than lower league clubs where money is tight.
take swindons squad season just passed.very small it was,and you can't afford to have players not ready for the team.big clubs dont have that worry.

i'm not saying henshall leaving is right or wrong.i dont know.none of us do.
BANGKOK RED

« Reply #27 on: Sunday, June 6, 2010, 18:57:08 »

I still wonder if Charlie got as good as he is not DESPITE him playing non-league, but BECAUSE he was.

I could imagine the Poole gaffer simply saying: "Charlie, when you get the ball just fucking kick it into the fucking net, all-right son"
Crispy
Pink Jumper For Goalpost

Ignore
« Reply #28 on: Sunday, June 6, 2010, 19:07:09 »

Daaaaaaaam, good luck alex Smiley

They've got muslamic rayguns, muslamic rayguns..
Saxondale

Ignore
« Reply #29 on: Sunday, June 6, 2010, 19:28:05 »

Sure Im not alone in thinking it would have been nice to see him in a town shirt if it was only a couple of 20 minute sub appearances.  We probably would have as well if we had a shit season and were free from potential relegation or promotion come the start of April.

Never knowingly overstated.
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5 ... 7   Go Up
Print
Jump to: