Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: Who do we want in the play-offs  (Read 4922 times)
Bob's Orange
Has brain escape barriers

Ignore
« on: Sunday, April 25, 2010, 08:32:50 »

Personally I am now resigned to being in the play-offs which in itself is a fantastic achievement. So who do we want to play?

Leeds - I think they will go up automatically but we've beaten them twice easily this season. If we played them again they would almost certainly be wanting revenge (12-0 on aggregate?)

Millwall - Saw them at Leeds and Huddersfield on the box and wasn't massively impressed. Solid and direct, would be happy playing them although the Harris/Amankwaah factor could mean the atmosphere being a bit nasty.

Charlton - Drawn twice with them (thanks to injury time equalisers) and they would be my choice in the play-offs. They don't score or concede many goals so 2 games against them could be tight (penalties? Sad)

Huddersfield - Hitting form towards the end of the season and they could finish above us. Seem to have pace up front and I wouldn't want to play them personally.

So, who would you rather play?

we've been to Aberdeen, we hate the Hibs, they make us spew up, so make some noise,
the gorgie boys, for Hearts in Europe.
dogs

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: Sunday, April 25, 2010, 08:43:10 »

Charlton in the semis. Then if we win, really don't mind in the final.
Reg Smeeton
Walking Encyclopaedia

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: Sunday, April 25, 2010, 08:44:29 »

I like this game.....I think we'll get Leeds.

I see us finishing 6th....losing to Millwall on teh final day to pave the way for their elevation after Leeds fail to win at Charlton.

I want Charlton....so 3 points v Bees Sat is a must
« Last Edit: Sunday, April 25, 2010, 09:05:04 by Reg Smeeton » Logged
Batch
Not a Batch

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: Sunday, April 25, 2010, 08:58:50 »

I really don't care who we get. Everyone can beat each other. Huddersfield are the form team but, to quote the cliche, the form book goes out the window.

I think I'd rather lose in the semis than the final. Of course we will win it so that is a pointless statement Smiley
Ralphy

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: Sunday, April 25, 2010, 09:15:13 »

I don't care as long as we play like we know we can.

I'm bricking it though.
Cookie

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: Sunday, April 25, 2010, 09:21:07 »

I think we'll end up with Millwall but I want Charlton. I can see us finishing 6th at the moment.
Reg Smeeton
Walking Encyclopaedia

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: Sunday, April 25, 2010, 09:21:18 »

I don't care as long as we play like we know we can.

I'm bricking it though.

I'm still of the opinion, that if you finish 4th 5th or 6th, you probably haven't earned the right to go up, of course you'll take it, but you're getting a bit of a bonus shot. Therefore it's a nothing to lose situation..

Ralphy

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: Sunday, April 25, 2010, 09:26:04 »

Maybe so Reg but I can't help feeling totally deflated at present.

After the easter monday win against Tranmere I was sure we would take 2nd. 3 points from 12 is not promotion form though and we don't deserve to go up automatic. Sad

It's a kick in the bollocks. I also have to go to work and listen to all the fucking Leeds fans gloating on. Sad
Reg Smeeton
Walking Encyclopaedia

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: Sunday, April 25, 2010, 09:38:46 »

Maybe so Reg but I can't help feeling totally deflated at present.

After the easter monday win against Tranmere I was sure we would take 2nd. 3 points from 12 is not promotion form though and we don't deserve to go up automatic. Sad

It's a kick in the bollocks. I also have to go to work and listen to all the fucking Leeds fans gloating on. Sad

The Tranmere game was a bit strange because they were so poor, it never really put us under any kind of pressure....it is this which has got to the players, plus an over reliance of goals from Austin and Paynter.

I think Wilson realised this and did what he could like taking the players away for a couple of days, on reflection he might have wished he'd tried out a few different players here and there, like sticking with JFL at centre half....but it's easy to be wise after the event.

I've always said that Wilson has done a reasonable job in first keeping us up, and then restoring us to something about our natural territory...but the hard part is pushing it on.

I'm sure this is not helped by the poor crowds at the CG, which don't create the feeling that we're really on an upward curve....still come what may, it's been a memorable season.
dogs

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: Sunday, April 25, 2010, 09:39:11 »

I remain positive. Of course when we reached 2nd you would hoped we would have remained there. However, expectations rose and our players couldn't deal with the pressure/get enough luck/be good enough for automatic. Whatever it was from those, or a combination of all 3, we still have a good chance of going up. The play-offs was the aim, we made it with 3 games to go. Now we can all focus on them and hopefully make it.

The end of this season reminds me of 93 when we beat Brum to put everyone on a high, only to fail to win in our last 4 games. Everyone was banging on about being the out of form side and that we wouldn't get past the semis. That year we had a good record against the top sides, just as we do this year. In 2004, we never to seemed to beat those around us and just lacked any sort of luck. This season,we've beaten those around the top, grinded out 1 nils and clearly play much better against the better sides.

Peter Venkman
We don't need no stinking badges.

Things can only get better

« Reply #10 on: Sunday, April 25, 2010, 09:55:42 »

On the glass half full side.....

We have only had one defeat in the last 10 and only 3 in the last 22.

The playoffs are a bit of a lottery and we can beat any side on our day we can also get beaten by any side.

I have no preference over who we get in all honesty.

Only a fool does not know when to hold his tongue.
Gnasher

Prefers animals to people (in a non sexual way)

Ignore
« Reply #11 on: Sunday, April 25, 2010, 10:28:31 »

Charlton - because they're out of form AND we can wear the blue away kit!

However, I think we'll finish 5th and we'll get Huddersfield (4th). I don't see us beating them on current form.

Cats are better than dogs FACT
Ralphy

Ignore
« Reply #12 on: Sunday, April 25, 2010, 10:46:10 »

Yeah speaking of kits, why the fuck did we wear the white kit yesterday?

I don't like it. We never play well in it. Apart from Wolves away maybe.

Jean-Francois is God

« Reply #13 on: Sunday, April 25, 2010, 11:16:21 »

We done ok wearing the white kit against Brentford, infact it done wonders for Revell & Hutchinson too.

We were speaking about this on the way home from Wycombe yesterday and drew up the following conclusions...

Leeds - Cant see us beating Leeds again over 2 legs so would rather give them a miss.  I couldnt hack being dumped out of the playoffs at Elland Road a month after giving it the big one the last time we were there.

Millwall - Wouldnt mind playing them after what I have seen on TV this season although playing them 3 times in a row would be gay.

Charlton - Would be confident in beating them over 2 legs.  From when they played against Town at the County Ground I was not very impressed (forget the Boxing Day clash when they had 9 men) and think that Town have enough beat them.  They do have that sod Forster playing for them so he is bound to score.

Huddersfield - Saw them on TV against Millwall the other week and thought they looked "ok".  I would be confident of Town beating them too.

All in all lets go into Saturday's game against Brentford and give it a right go, we have got nothing to lose.  You just never know.
DiV
Has also heard this

Joseph McLaughlin

Ignore
« Reply #14 on: Sunday, April 25, 2010, 11:33:37 »

Firstly, what worries me more than the other teams is our own form currently. We've been crap recently and I bet right now all the other teams want us in the play offs.

Leeds, under no circumstances do I want them. We'll probably batter them all game and they'll get a 93rd minute in off the arse goals and then all our piss taking at Elland Rd will come back to bite us in the arse. 6-1 on aggregate.

Millwall, they seemed to have dipped a bit. I wouldn't fancy them as they played at Leeds but would the way they played at Huddersfield.

Charlton, both times haven't looked anything special, ok first time they had 9 men and did a decent job. Second time they kept our strikers quiet. Would be my perfered choice.

Huddersfield are hitting form at the right time, they score a lot of goals and will always set out to do so. What happens if we go behind early? Is that, after 5 minutes?

Although, right now our focus needs to be on us. When we do play well we can match any of those teams. On current form we wouldn't give any of them a game. Wilson needs to get the confidence and belief back in the players.

It was only an interview but Paynter sounded as deflated yesterday as I did after Walsall. We don't want to go into the play offs feeling deflated and like the play offs are second choice after we blew automatic.
Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Up
Print
Jump to: