Pages: [1] 2   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: Salisbury  (Read 3890 times)
4D
Or not 4D that is the question

I can't bear it 🙄

Ignore
« on: Monday, February 22, 2010, 23:22:35 »

may have a chance to get to Wembley. Who would go along if they make it? I've been to the "new" Wembley just after it re-opened. Enjoyable day out, so I wouldn't mind going again.

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: Monday, February 22, 2010, 23:43:46 »

i wouldn't.i'll wait for our own day out at the play off finals
4D

I can't bear it 🙄

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: Monday, February 22, 2010, 23:45:53 »

Foot In Mouth
iffy

« Reply #3 on: Tuesday, February 23, 2010, 22:14:18 »

Is it for a national conference of dull cathedral towns or will there be some football?
4D

I can't bear it 🙄

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: Tuesday, February 23, 2010, 23:33:45 »

Thought there may have been some interest in this, after all they are currently Oxford's Wiltshire nemesis  Smiley
Foggy

Ketchup wanker

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: Wednesday, February 24, 2010, 08:30:07 »

Is it for a national conference of dull cathedral towns or will there be some football?

CITY not town and lets face it Swindon isnt exactly the metropolis of the world is it? nor full of culture or areas of historical significance 

Sad to say, i must be on my way
The Professor

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: Wednesday, February 24, 2010, 21:56:42 »

Depends of which aspect of historical significance you are interested in. The Victorian Railway town is of interest to steam buffs - sadly, I've spent many a journey trapped with middle aged retards in fingerless mitts & duffle coats who, on finding out that I was borne just outside Swindon, go on and on about sodding steam trains and the like.  Clearly they find it interesting.

Architecturally, the railway village is an interesting example of industrial housing built by the GWR to house its employees using as it does (or so I believe) the stone from the Box Tunnel to construct the houses. Given that until it was selected to be the base for the GWR works Swindon was a small village, it is unlikely to have any earlier historic or ancient buildings.  However that does not mean it is without significance or merit.

In addition the old Milton Road Health Centre & GWR Medical fund were also the model for the NHS in the late 1940's.  Nye Bevan used it as a basis for how a universal health system could operate in the brave new post-war era with contributions taken from every person to fund it.  Still substantially the same system today so couldn't have been too bad, could it?

Culturally I'd have thought Swindon compares pretty well with similar sized towns in England so I don't think your assertion is correct and on the information given above it may well have wider social historical significance than you suppose. And no, I wouldn't go and watch Salisbury City at Wembley either
Bogus Dave
Ate my own dick

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: Wednesday, February 24, 2010, 23:37:36 »

We had the biggest walmart in the country at one point.

And we're twinned with disneyland for crying out loud. What more can you want!!

Things get better but they never get good
4D

I can't bear it 🙄

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: Wednesday, February 24, 2010, 23:39:23 »

and a great football club  Wink
Talk Talk

« Reply #9 on: Wednesday, February 24, 2010, 23:42:17 »

and a great roundabout  Wink
Phil_S

Who changed my Avatar ?!

Ignore
« Reply #10 on: Thursday, February 25, 2010, 14:22:06 »

I went to watch chiippenham at wembley. Although there were a good 20,000 there the atmoshere was not that good

From the Dark Side
4D

I can't bear it 🙄

Ignore
« Reply #11 on: Thursday, February 25, 2010, 19:41:03 »

I went to watch chippenham at wembley. Although there were a good 20,000 there the atmoshere was not that good

I went to that match against Deal Town, the atmosphere wasn't helped by the fact all the supporters were down one side. Chip had about 13,000 fans to deals 7,000; saw lots of people I know and saw quite a few Town shirts too. Chip lost 1-0  Sad
RobertT

Ignore
« Reply #12 on: Thursday, February 25, 2010, 19:58:20 »

I hate Salisbury, and I have no idea why.  They can fuck off to Hampshire and pick up some Pompey supporters for all I care.
Rich Pullen

« Reply #13 on: Thursday, February 25, 2010, 20:28:54 »

I hate Salisbury, and I have no idea why.  They can fuck off to Hampshire and pick up some Pompey supporters for all I care.

I'm the same Smiley
Tails

Git facked

Ignore
« Reply #14 on: Friday, February 26, 2010, 00:30:56 »

I've grown a dislike for Salisbury due to the fact some prick at work follows them and tries to wind me up by saying "Matt Tubbs says he will never sign for Swindon", like I actually give a shit that some second rate non league striker may or may not play for us. It's even more ludicrous considering he'd more than likely jump at the chance.

Pages: [1] 2   Go Up
Print
Jump to: