Pages: 1 ... 16 17 18 [19] 20   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: Takeaway Curry in Swindon  (Read 76213 times)
JBZ
Not as likeable as Reg was, a fencesitting WUM

Allegedly, not a Swindon Town supporter

Ignore
« Reply #270 on: Thursday, July 30, 2020, 19:00:51 »

I've always found the Khyber a reasonable curry house but never anything special. Was great for a late drink back in the day and the food's always been pretty good if not any wow factor. I didn't rate Ruchi's at all which others seem to like. I found the food below par, to the point I'd not go back there.
I miss Tiffin's. Used to lunch there every week. Their methi was as good as any I've had anywhere else.

You can't beat an all you can eat curry. 

I assume that buffet restaurants will have to adapt their business model for the foreseeable future.  Around 90 per cent of patrons appear to consider it acceptable to lick their fingers immediately before picking up the communal spoon and slopping the curry goodness onto their plate.

Nothing to see here
smalltowngypsymassacre

« Reply #271 on: Thursday, July 30, 2020, 19:09:25 »

I've always found the Khyber a reasonable curry house but never anything special. Was great for a late drink back in the day and the food's always been pretty good if not any wow factor. I didn't rate Ruchi's at all which others seem to like. I found the food below par, to the point I'd not go back there.
I miss Tiffin's. Used to lunch there every week. Their methi was as good as any I've had anywhere else.

And yet I've never had a curry from Rushi that I consider anything less than better than average. Horses for courses
smalltowngypsymassacre

« Reply #272 on: Thursday, July 30, 2020, 19:11:01 »

'Anything less than better than average'=I liked it, by the way

Ignore
« Reply #273 on: Thursday, July 30, 2020, 19:28:26 »

I assume that buffet restaurants will have to adapt their business model for the foreseeable future.  Around 90 per cent of patrons appear to consider it acceptable to lick their fingers immediately before picking up the communal spoon and slopping the curry goodness onto their plate.

Yeah I think you're right there. The salad bars in supermarkets have gone for that reason too. Tiffin's went prior to that though. Sky high rates saw them off apparently. Same Morrisons.
'Anything less than better than average'=I liked it, by the way

I understand. Maybe an off day but ours was poor when we ate there. I'll be sticking with Mela or jewel in the crown when eating out for now.
RobertT

Ignore
« Reply #274 on: Thursday, July 30, 2020, 19:44:05 »

As much as my wife has become a dab hand at making curries, it is nice to have a takeout or eat out from time to time, something I miss thanks to my choice of location with only 1 Indian style restaurant for 10 miles in any direction.  I've decided I like ti, but I think that is more to do with not having another option.  There is a better one about 15 miles away but the female  Manager/owner made it a bit uncomfortable as she gave her kids a right ear bashing when she turned up to cash up.  There were two other tables, one of them discussing Eastenders in thick Yorkshire accents.
BambooToTheFuture

I'll Tell Ya Now - McGurk Is The New Graham

Ignore
« Reply #275 on: Thursday, July 30, 2020, 23:09:31 »

Curries in India are very different to here, less heat and more spice and flavour. I'm lucky enough to have eaten curries in Bangalore, Delhi, Kerala and Mumbai and all so tasty. (and no Delhi Belly either). The place in Mumbai was on the less salubrious side and we were a bit wary, but to have some of the finest food on the planet for less than £1 or so, how can you go wrong?

Yes my man! I'm lucky enough to know several Indian & Pakistani people (either direct friends or family friends etc), and been grateful to try some of their home cooking but as you say (and have experienced, ya lucky sod Smiley ), to taste beautifully flavoursome food with as fresh as you can get ingredients, is a huge envy of mine. You can't really go wrong at all.

When this flying restriction is a little more developed and people can figure out how to get to places safely again, I fully intend on visiting fragrance rich places. Turkey of course will be one of the first places, for some homemade borek. Çok hoş!

'Incessant Nonsense'

'I'm gonna tell you the secret.
There's a threat, you end it and you don't feel ashamed about enjoying it.
You smell the gunpowder and you see the blood, you know what that means?
It means you're alive. You've won.
You take the heads so that you don't ever forget.'
Bob's Orange
Has brain escape barriers

Ignore
« Reply #276 on: Friday, July 31, 2020, 08:23:56 »

Yes my man! I'm lucky enough to know several Indian & Pakistani people (either direct friends or family friends etc), and been grateful to try some of their home cooking but as you say (and have experienced, ya lucky sod Smiley ), to taste beautifully flavoursome food with as fresh as you can get ingredients, is a huge envy of mine. You can't really go wrong at all.

When this flying restriction is a little more developed and people can figure out how to get to places safely again, I fully intend on visiting fragrance rich places. Turkey of course will be one of the first places, for some homemade borek. Çok hoş!

I used to work with a lady from India and she invited us to hers for a Diwali dinner. She was literally up early in the morning doing the cooking, its a labour of love for them. Again, some absolutely magnificent scran!!

We're off to Turkey in a week (lockdown permitting) Can't wait! If you decide to come to Kusadasi, give us a shout!

As long as its not Cok Pahali for you!! Wink (Don't know how to do the Turkish letters on the computer!)

we've been to Aberdeen, we hate the Hibs, they make us spew up, so make some noise,
the gorgie boys, for Hearts in Europe.
BambooToTheFuture

I'll Tell Ya Now - McGurk Is The New Graham

Ignore
« Reply #277 on: Friday, July 31, 2020, 17:45:22 »

I used to work with a lady from India and she invited us to hers for a Diwali dinner. She was literally up early in the morning doing the cooking, its a labour of love for them. Again, some absolutely magnificent scran!!

We're off to Turkey in a week (lockdown permitting) Can't wait! If you decide to come to Kusadasi, give us a shout!

As long as its not Cok Pahali for you!! Wink (Don't know how to do the Turkish letters on the computer!)

So awesome and so hospitable. I know people here are welcoming etc for dinner but it isn't a patch on a lot of places (of ones I've been) and sometimes not even people you know very well. It is just a culture of making and giving to everyone.

You lucky bugger! How long are you out there for? I'm likely Güllük bound but if I manage to stay around three weeks then I'll head up there. It's about 2hrs away I think?

Haha çok pahalı indeed! Pricing in Güllük seems very reasonable. Best time to be going now in some respect. Getting around 8/9tL to the £1 but it's been on the rise so by the time you go you could well get close to 10tL  Pint Pint Pint

Oh and RE: Foreign letters. There are a few shortcuts when switching to International (INTL) keyboard but sometimes I use the Unicode for it but I only know some of them off hand. Usually just a case of trial and error on some with AltGr + letter. "y" on the INTL when using AltGr will produce "ü" and "p" wil do the same when wanting to produce "ö"  Smiley

'Incessant Nonsense'

'I'm gonna tell you the secret.
There's a threat, you end it and you don't feel ashamed about enjoying it.
You smell the gunpowder and you see the blood, you know what that means?
It means you're alive. You've won.
You take the heads so that you don't ever forget.'
Simon Pieman
Original Wanker

« Reply #278 on: Friday, July 31, 2020, 19:41:20 »

Tiffins was the equivalent of a supermarket ready meal curry when I went. For the price it was 'value for money' but if rather pay a bit more for a proper curry.
JBZ
Not as likeable as Reg was, a fencesitting WUM

Allegedly, not a Swindon Town supporter

Ignore
« Reply #279 on: Friday, July 31, 2020, 20:28:11 »

Tiffins was the equivalent of a supermarket ready meal curry when I went. For the price it was 'value for money' but if rather pay a bit more for a proper curry.

Tiffins in Taunton was ok.  Very good for quantity over quality.

Nothing to see here
tans
You spin me right round baby right round

Ignore
« Reply #280 on: Friday, July 31, 2020, 20:37:46 »

Tiffins in Kidlington is epic

Ignore
« Reply #281 on: Friday, July 31, 2020, 20:53:10 »

I think this thread is a prime example of why you should take things how you find them.
swindonmaniac

Ignore
« Reply #282 on: Saturday, August 1, 2020, 07:24:10 »

Went for a Sunday carvery a couple of weeks ago,  still have as much as you like but everything is scooped onto the plate by the guy who serves the meat.  Don't touch anything but the plate,  Common sense I suppose but not something I would have thought about before seeing it.

Life is a Rollercoaster - Just gotta ride it.
Banker

On The Bank

Ignore
« Reply #283 on: Saturday, August 1, 2020, 07:37:18 »

The best one round here for miles is Peatmoor, think its the Bombay Lounge, they do charity nights with STFC from time to time too

Since changed branding/ownership - now called the Bengal Square ? Only had one takeaway from there - a little meh, perhaps an off night, thinking maybe I should try it again... Hmm.

Everybody deserves a second chance, don't they ? Yes
Bob's Orange
Has brain escape barriers

Ignore
« Reply #284 on: Saturday, August 1, 2020, 08:25:40 »

So awesome and so hospitable. I know people here are welcoming etc for dinner but it isn't a patch on a lot of places (of ones I've been) and sometimes not even people you know very well. It is just a culture of making and giving to everyone.

You lucky bugger! How long are you out there for? I'm likely Güllük bound but if I manage to stay around three weeks then I'll head up there. It's about 2hrs away I think?

Haha çok pahalı indeed! Pricing in Güllük seems very reasonable. Best time to be going now in some respect. Getting around 8/9tL to the £1 but it's been on the rise so by the time you go you could well get close to 10tL  Pint Pint Pint

We’ve only booked a one way flight and hoping to be there for 4 weeks minimum. My work for the rest of the year will be working from home anyway so as long as the Internet is ok (it was before we left last year anyway) I should be ok. I’ll also take my mandatory 2 weeks holiday also I think.

The fx rate is 1 v 9.12 TL which is the highest I think I’ve ever seen!! I’m sure the prices will have been put up but even if beers are 20 TL that’s still good in my eyes Smiley

I had to look it up but Güllük is north of Bodrum and as you say a couple of hours, give me a shout if you decide to rattle up on a Dolmus!! Smiley

we've been to Aberdeen, we hate the Hibs, they make us spew up, so make some noise,
the gorgie boys, for Hearts in Europe.
Pages: 1 ... 16 17 18 [19] 20   Go Up
Print
Jump to: