Pages: 1 ... 15 16 17 [18] 19 20   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: Takeaway Curry in Swindon  (Read 76224 times)
JBZ
Not as likeable as Reg was, a fencesitting WUM

Allegedly, not a Swindon Town supporter

Ignore
« Reply #255 on: Wednesday, July 29, 2020, 21:05:26 »

Remember, don;t feed the troll, not even really spicey curry.

Although point 3 did make me smile as it reminded me of Goodness Gracious Me and going out for an English, I hope that was the point.  Vindaloo is English anyway.

I thought it was Goan/Portuguese?

Nothing to see here
RobertT

Ignore
« Reply #256 on: Wednesday, July 29, 2020, 21:07:08 »

The word is, the use of the curry is very English.  Essentially the version we call Vindaloo is a unique curry specifically created for Curry Houses in Britain.
« Last Edit: Wednesday, July 29, 2020, 21:12:01 by RobertT » Logged
Bob's Orange
Has brain escape barriers

Ignore
« Reply #257 on: Wednesday, July 29, 2020, 21:18:27 »

I’ve had a vindaloo in Goa and it’s on the milder side from memory but was delicious.

I’ve never had a vindaloo in the UK, not sure I’d ever bother.

we've been to Aberdeen, we hate the Hibs, they make us spew up, so make some noise,
the gorgie boys, for Hearts in Europe.
Flashheart

« Reply #258 on: Wednesday, July 29, 2020, 21:26:20 »

I learned recently that a lot of Indians are amused that we call it nan bread.

Nan is the Indian word for bread. When we ask for nan bread, we're asking for bread bread.
Batch
Not a Batch

Ignore
« Reply #259 on: Wednesday, July 29, 2020, 21:39:44 »

I thought bread was roti in Hindi
Simon Pieman
Original Wanker

« Reply #260 on: Wednesday, July 29, 2020, 21:48:00 »

Got takeout from Khyber and was spot on. Really good.

My 15yr old nephew is at the "too big for his boots" stage and was saying how he can take spicy food, so i told him we'd share a vindaloo. I said share because i'd never had one either and whilst it was really fucking hot, it was really nice but probably at the very top of my heat threshold. My nephew managed 2 bites and tapped out. That'll teach him!

Forgot to say they make them as spicy as they should be! I've embarrassed myself with a phaal in there before and warned others.....never again and a curry isn't about bravado or kudos to spice (Methi is probably my favourite).
Chubbs

Ignore
« Reply #261 on: Wednesday, July 29, 2020, 22:02:38 »

1. What business is it of yours whether Chubbs has a child or not?

2. It's his nephew, there is some context. It's not like he's smashed the face in of some random kid on the street. The second part; incredibly rich, coming from yourself.

3. There likely is. But it is mostly a discussion regarding the best way to cook Potato Waffles and Smiley Faces.

Thanks buddy, but not necessary.

I'm so confused by his response though. Brilliant.
BambooToTheFuture

I'll Tell Ya Now - McGurk Is The New Graham

Ignore
« Reply #262 on: Wednesday, July 29, 2020, 22:37:31 »

a curry isn't about bravado or kudos to spice (Methi is probably my favourite).

Love a Methi Gosht but then I love lamb infused with fragrances and a medium ish heat. Along with a citron based rice, raita and a glass of lassi. Boom. Ya got me!

Would love to go and have a 'proper' Methi in India or Pakistan and using goat meat too. Although I would also love a vegetarian version too as the flavour and aroma would still tickle the taste buds.

'Incessant Nonsense'

'I'm gonna tell you the secret.
There's a threat, you end it and you don't feel ashamed about enjoying it.
You smell the gunpowder and you see the blood, you know what that means?
It means you're alive. You've won.
You take the heads so that you don't ever forget.'
DiV
Has also heard this

Joseph McLaughlin

Ignore
« Reply #263 on: Thursday, July 30, 2020, 06:13:46 »

Did you sing Vindaloo though?
That’s the important questions.
Bob's Orange
Has brain escape barriers

Ignore
« Reply #264 on: Thursday, July 30, 2020, 08:45:55 »

Love a Methi Gosht but then I love lamb infused with fragrances and a medium ish heat. Along with a citron based rice, raita and a glass of lassi. Boom. Ya got me!

Would love to go and have a 'proper' Methi in India or Pakistan and using goat meat too. Although I would also love a vegetarian version too as the flavour and aroma would still tickle the taste buds.

Curries in India are very different to here, less heat and more spice and flavour. I'm lucky enough to have eaten curries in Bangalore, Delhi, Kerala and Mumbai and all so tasty. (and no Delhi Belly either). The place in Mumbai was on the less sulubrius side and we were a bit wary, but to have some of the finest food on the planet for less than £1 or so, how can you go wrong?

we've been to Aberdeen, we hate the Hibs, they make us spew up, so make some noise,
the gorgie boys, for Hearts in Europe.
ron dodgers

shaddap your face

Ignore
« Reply #265 on: Thursday, July 30, 2020, 14:49:53 »

The word is, the use of the curry is very English.  Essentially the version we call Vindaloo is a unique curry specifically created for Curry Houses in Britain.
nope definitely portuguese modified by Goans. Pork Vindaloo mmmmm with vinegar. You thinking of tikka masalla?
Flashheart

« Reply #266 on: Thursday, July 30, 2020, 14:51:13 »

I get vindaloos here. Made by Indians.
RobertT

Ignore
« Reply #267 on: Thursday, July 30, 2020, 15:11:36 »

nope definitely portuguese modified by Goans. Pork Vindaloo mmmmm with vinegar. You thinking of tikka masalla?

Yes, the original Vindaloo comes from Portuguese, then transferred to Goa, then back to Europe.  The Vindaloo everyone in England knows and talks about is not that.  It's an offshoot specifically designed for the curry houses, hence the heat.  Like when the UK loves Spaghetti Bolagnese as if it is a thing - the reality being it's a sort of made-up thing using Italian influences, where they use the region to describe the sauce.
smalltowngypsymassacre

« Reply #268 on: Thursday, July 30, 2020, 17:00:18 »

I've honestly never had a good curry at the Khyber. The last time I ate there, a year or so ago, I returned it because it was so bland. A lot of people seem to swear by it, but I've been consistently underwhelmed. My curryhouse of choice is Biplob. Also really rated Naga Kitchen, but that could be because my friend's old man owned it and I always got extra bits and bobs as a result, but definitely sad thats gone

Ignore
« Reply #269 on: Thursday, July 30, 2020, 18:30:15 »

I've always found the Khyber a reasonable curry house but never anything special. Was great for a late drink back in the day and the food's always been pretty good if not any wow factor. I didn't rate Ruchi's at all which others seem to like. I found the food below par, to the point I'd not go back there.
I miss Tiffin's. Used to lunch there every week. Their methi was as good as any I've had anywhere else.
Pages: 1 ... 15 16 17 [18] 19 20   Go Up
Print
Jump to: