Pages: 1 ... 11 12 13 [14] 15 16   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: TEF Top 50 Albums of the Decade  (Read 23058 times)
Ben Wah Balls

Ignore
« Reply #195 on: Friday, December 4, 2009, 16:39:40 »

I could easily name 100 classic albums from the past decade. Anyone saying it's been a really bad decade for music almost certainly has not looked very far or listened to many albums from this decade.

Ignore
« Reply #196 on: Friday, December 4, 2009, 16:41:37 »

what groundbreaking artists have come through this decade?
tans
You spin me right round baby right round

Ignore
« Reply #197 on: Friday, December 4, 2009, 16:47:11 »

Yet another pointless list thread!

Half of the artists/albums on here I've never heard of, which means they're obviously shit.

The stuff I listen to is awesome and therefore the best.

Frank Sinatra doesnt count uncle fester
iffy

« Reply #198 on: Friday, December 4, 2009, 16:48:50 »

theres shit loads of british hip hop way before the streets

totally agree, but this was the first one that really broke out.

Also, I liked this: "The 50 Worst Songs of the '00s"

http://blogs.villagevoice.com/music/archives/2009/11/f2kindex.php

Late '00s: The music industry and economy turned to dog shit... and then turned into that weird white dog shit. Labels handed out deals to whatever idiot famewhore had the most MySpace friends, and then churned out bloops in hopes that they'd sound good on a cell phone speaker that's both smaller and worse-sounding than a spider's balls.
Ben Wah Balls

Ignore
« Reply #199 on: Friday, December 4, 2009, 17:10:24 »

what groundbreaking artists have come through this decade?
Loads of dubstep artists - Burial, Skream, Caspa, Benga etc. etc. Dizzee rascal, the streets, high contrast, chase and status.
yeo

Ignore
« Reply #200 on: Friday, December 4, 2009, 17:20:00 »

Apart from Dizzee and the Streets none of those are break through or big artists.Decades are remembered by music that the masses have listened to.Doesnt mean they arent good just that they arent decade defining,well thats my opinion anyway.

/
W56196272
Ben Wah Balls

Ignore
« Reply #201 on: Friday, December 4, 2009, 17:27:37 »

That's true, it would be fairer to say that mainstream music hasn't been that great this decade but the great music is there, you just have to look for it.

Ignore
« Reply #202 on: Friday, December 4, 2009, 19:10:55 »

Loads of dubstep artists - Burial, Skream, Caspa, Benga etc. etc. Dizzee rascal, the streets, high contrast, chase and status.
the first 4 i've not heard of.dizzee rascal is shit and nothing new.the streets i will grant you were refreshing when first on the scene and different but hardly groundbreaking.high contrast is nothing new,ditto chase and status.
Ben Wah Balls

Ignore
« Reply #203 on: Friday, December 4, 2009, 19:35:40 »

the first 4 i've not heard of.dizzee rascal is shit and nothing new.the streets i will grant you were refreshing when first on the scene and different but hardly groundbreaking.high contrast is nothing new,ditto chase and status.
Completely wrong about Dizzee. He is very talented and one of the best rappers of all time, boy in da corner was a very innovative album and definitely groundbreaking.

High contrast is nothing new is a ridiculous thing to say. High contrast has pushed the boundaries of drum and bass more than any other artist, every album he makes has taken it into new areas and he is an insanely talented producer, the best in the world in my opinion - nothing new? Who the fuck was doing the same thing before him then?
Processed Beats

I drop beats from this processed meat.

Ignore
« Reply #204 on: Friday, December 4, 2009, 20:06:46 »

Chase & Status' latest song featuring Plan B entitled End Credits is my ear sex at the moment Wink
Samdy Gray
Dirty sneaky traitor weasel

Ignore
« Reply #205 on: Friday, December 4, 2009, 20:09:26 »

If a song doesn't have guitars then it's not worth listening to in my book.
leefer

Ignore
« Reply #206 on: Friday, December 4, 2009, 20:13:13 »

I could easily name 100 classic albums from the past decade. Anyone saying it's been a really bad decade for music almost certainly has not looked very far or listened to many albums from this decade.

Here,Here.

Ignore
« Reply #207 on: Friday, December 4, 2009, 20:34:34 »

Completely wrong about Dizzee. He is very talented and one of the best rappers of all time, boy in da corner was a very innovative album and definitely groundbreaking.

High contrast is nothing new is a ridiculous thing to say. High contrast has pushed the boundaries of drum and bass more than any other artist, every album he makes has taken it into new areas and he is an insanely talented producer, the best in the world in my opinion - nothing new? Who the fuck was doing the same thing before him then?

drum and bass has been around 16-17 years.i like his stuff but it is not groundbreaking.infact the older stuff is far superior.groundbreaking pioneers of drum and bass were in the 90's
oxford_fan

Ignore
« Reply #208 on: Friday, December 4, 2009, 20:50:01 »

burial was completely original. nothing at all like it before and people are copying it now. skream is big and can turn his hand to pretty much anything; he produces indie music but doesn't use his real name on the credits. he will be one of the biggest names for a good while to come. dunno about caspa, that style of dubstep is amusing at first but pretty superficial and tiresome. i reckon rusko is better at that kind of thing. benga i like alot. again quite an original sound in the genre, a bit flying lotus-esque.

dizzee had a lot of promise but like the streets is going off the ball. his new stuff is absolute shite, apart from bonkers which he didn't make. definitely not one of the greatest mc's - I'd put all three of De La Soul way above him just off the top of my head. his style is basic and lyrics of late generally stupid. it'd be good if he had another crack at a boy in da corner style album instead of this dancey pop shit.

a good decade for dance music though. the emergence of dubstep, and the revivial of drum and bass which was dragging its heels a bit.

shame about hip-hop though, started the decade well but it all seems to have petered out now. the uk has nothing now that i know of (proabably due to not looking for new artists) - jehst is off the ball, braintax retired and emigrated, all the weed is catching up with roots manuva, lewis parker is busy producing for americans. america has nothing too. if i want to find a new hip-hop album i look for something in the late 80's that i've been missing out on.

arriba the genre still moves on though, and pushes it boundaries. stalwarts like andy c and hype are still at the forefront, along with the newer artists like high contrast and zinc who bring a fresh input and more eclectic sound
« Last Edit: Friday, December 4, 2009, 20:55:36 by oxford_fan » Logged
flammableBen

« Reply #209 on: Friday, December 4, 2009, 20:50:31 »

Whilst the quality of the albums is definitely up for debate (well it is being debated), the twenty-zeros has been an important decade for music distribution. The classic outlets like radio play haven't gone, but they've been diluted in importance. The record shop is nearly dead.

In the 90's Simon Cowell could get a number one manufactured band with a few interviews in Smash Hits and an appearance on Going Live/Live and Kicking and Top of the Pops. Now he needs a prime time television show to achieve the same thing.

There's also been a monumental shift away from singles. They've been given a mini-boost thanks to (legal) downloads from itunes and others, but the amount you need to sell to get to no.1 has dropped hugely.

Change for the better? Probably.
Pages: 1 ... 11 12 13 [14] 15 16   Go Up
Print
Jump to: