Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: 4 Assistant referees...  (Read 4878 times)
Reg Smeeton
Walking Encyclopaedia

Ignore
« on: Thursday, September 17, 2009, 16:08:08 »

...is apparently being trialled in the UEFA Cup games tonight, so being used at Goodison, for Everton v AEK Athens. Should be interesting.
reeves4england

We'll never die!

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: Thursday, September 17, 2009, 16:11:32 »

Are there really enough officials out there to make this feasible on a wider scale?
It'll be interesting to see how/if this idea works in tonight's games
Nemo
Shit Bacon

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: Thursday, September 17, 2009, 16:13:49 »

Are there really enough officials out there to make this feasible on a wider scale?
It'll be interesting to see how/if this idea works in tonight's games

Absolutely, one of the main arguments for this over video technology is that they can't use Video screens at all levels of football- but good luck finding 5-6 officials for your Sunday league team.

I doubt the extra officials will do anything noteworthy, the only thing I can see this leading too apart from the occasionally rare line call is a clampdown on pushing at corners.
Reg Smeeton
Walking Encyclopaedia

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: Thursday, September 17, 2009, 16:36:57 »

I'm not sure you'll get too many controversial calls, from the persons charged with running up and down in front of some of the ends in English football.

It's worth a trial, to see if it improves the referees decision making...the lower league argument is a bit spurious, insofar there aren't enough refs/assistants to go round anyway, so lacking more doesn't really matter.
jonny72

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: Thursday, September 17, 2009, 16:41:22 »

David Moyes really is a cunt - he's already set his stall before the game, so if they don't win he can blame it on the extra officials. He's obviously thick as shit as well as he's said he doesn't understand it. What the fuck is so difficult to understand about two extra officials?

Absolutely, one of the main arguments for this over video technology is that they can't use Video screens at all levels of football- but good luck finding 5-6 officials for your Sunday league team.

Except if the 4 assistant ref's idea is successful and implemented next season it will only be for the Champions League and the "elite" level in UEFA countries - so the Premier League but not the Championship.
« Last Edit: Thursday, September 17, 2009, 16:43:27 by jonny72 » Logged
Rich Pullen

« Reply #5 on: Thursday, September 17, 2009, 16:42:27 »

Quite. The chap on the BBC couldn't understand why Moyes was confused and neither can I.
Sippo
Living in the 80s

I ain't gettin on no plane fool

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: Thursday, September 17, 2009, 17:24:32 »

The two extra ref's are to stand by the goal. Surely that'll be off putting for the keeper? Personally don't think it'll work.

If my calculations are correct, when this baby hits 88 miles per hour, you're gonna see some serious shit...
Rich Pullen

« Reply #7 on: Thursday, September 17, 2009, 17:25:32 »

Watching the CSKA Sofia vs. Fulham match. The extra officials are a good distance away from the goal. Far enough to not effect the goalkeeper.
ChalkyWhiteIsGod
TOLD YOU SO

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: Thursday, September 17, 2009, 18:09:56 »

scenario....player dives in the box in front of the town end in the first minute and extra ref/official/assistant/linesman gives a penalty, that bloke has to stand five yards away from people abusing his very existance on the planet...probably throwing all sorts of objects at him for the rest of the game.

even taking those sorts of situations out of the equation....its a shit idea and doesnt solve anything. nice idea platini you cunt.
Iffy's Onion Bhaji
petulant

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: Thursday, September 17, 2009, 18:11:30 »

Is the Everton game on TV? Might give it a watch as this sounds quite ammusing.
Sippo
Living in the 80s

I ain't gettin on no plane fool

Ignore
« Reply #10 on: Thursday, September 17, 2009, 18:14:40 »

Fulham game is on itv4, everton is on ch5 i think later on.

If my calculations are correct, when this baby hits 88 miles per hour, you're gonna see some serious shit...
ChalkyWhiteIsGod
TOLD YOU SO

Ignore
« Reply #11 on: Thursday, September 17, 2009, 18:16:54 »

Is the Everton game on TV? Might give it a watch as this sounds quite ammusing.

sounds like a train wreck so should be good tv
Rich Pullen

« Reply #12 on: Thursday, September 17, 2009, 18:19:24 »

If it's anything like the Fulham game, you will hardly notice anything.
Spy

Ignore
« Reply #13 on: Thursday, September 17, 2009, 18:22:39 »

scenario....player dives in the box in front of the town end in the first minute and extra ref/official/assistant/linesman gives a penalty, that bloke has to stand five yards away from people abusing his very existance on the planet...probably throwing all sorts of objects at him for the rest of the game.

Yeah I was thinking about that sort of thing earlier.
michael
The Dude Abides

Ignore
« Reply #14 on: Thursday, September 17, 2009, 18:29:20 »

Alternative solution for UEFA to trial: Do not use British referees.

I like my idea best.
Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Up
Print
Jump to: