Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: New York  (Read 7668 times)
magicroundabout
Fanta Pants

Ignore
« Reply #15 on: Monday, August 17, 2009, 17:57:58 »

i just can't wait

OOH! SHAUN TAYLOR
- FACT!

Ignore
« Reply #16 on: Monday, August 17, 2009, 18:06:41 »

Jeez, The Empire State sounds like a right rip off these days, which is a shame because it used to be absolutely worth going up. Not for that money though..fuck em!

Ironically, the best, best place to go in NYC if you never went anywhere else used to be the top of The World Trade Centre...

...anywhoo, I would say there is nowhere quite like Central Park on a Sunday afternoon..jugglers, street theatre, trannies, pretzel sellers, people getting married..you never know what you will find round the next corner..and it's FREE!

It's also probably worth checking out a Comedy Club in Greenwich Village or somewhere like that.

If I was going I would definitely be trying to get tickets for the Jets or Giants..also, the Ice Hockey and Basketball seasons both start in October (or maybe November thinking about it) so depending on when you are going, you might be able to see the Rangers or the Knicks at Madison Square Garden, which may well be worth a visit in it's own right depending on your interests (I've never been)

The Seaport (used to be South Street Sea Port) is pretty cool as well..I suppose you would say it is on the Lower East Side, quite close to the Brooklyn Bridge..it has loads of shops/bars/restarants

And all over the place you will get machines that you put a 1 cent piece into and it comes out in the shape of the Empire State Building or something which is the absolute best thing of all.

Apart from those things and the other stuff mentioned, there's fuck all to do.
Whits
Morphined Up

« Reply #17 on: Monday, August 17, 2009, 18:23:35 »

I went to see the rangers vs the islanders at MSG, was quality evenin and never seen so many fights break out for no reason on the ice!!

5 days will be fine, always find NYC pretty full on so you'll enjoy it but be shattered at the end of it!!

Plays in midfield and his name is Tommy Miller,
signed him from Huddersfield his name is Tommy Miller,
first touch is average but his second is a killer,
heeeeeey Tommy Miller!
Rich Pullen

« Reply #18 on: Monday, August 17, 2009, 18:36:00 »

I'm looking at New York City as a possibilty for my and missus' anniversary in January.
derbystfc

Ignore
« Reply #19 on: Monday, August 17, 2009, 19:17:38 »

cool thread, im looking for hotels for march as i am djing in club over there :-)
STFC_Manc

Ignore
« Reply #20 on: Monday, August 17, 2009, 19:28:04 »

I'm looking at New York City as a possibilty for my and missus' anniversary in January.

cool thread, im looking for hotels for march as i am djing in club over there :-)

Got quite a good deal for hotels when I am going over xmas.  £600 for 7 nights, used the following link

http://www.ichotelsgroup.com/h/d/6c/1/en/friendsandfamily?key=BoRoNbBOeZFWSQKT%252FuJHisHr6K8uQC1TJUZXs%252B9PPjo%253D&cm_mmc=DCE-_-FF-_-20090304-_-EM161920

Make sure it says "friends" on the rate preference.
Berniman
Sits in front of JFW

Miserable cnut (AKA Happy Clapper)

Ignore
« Reply #21 on: Monday, August 17, 2009, 19:29:03 »

What sort of cost did people get their trips for?  I have always wanted to go with the missus for a bit of Xmas shopping and would love a weekend there late Nov early Dec.

“Everything we hear is an opinion, not a fact. Everything we see is a perspective, not the truth.” ― Marcus Aurelius

When somebody shouts STOP! I never know if it's in the name of love, if it's HAMMER TIME, or if I should collaborate and listen...
STFC_Manc

Ignore
« Reply #22 on: Monday, August 17, 2009, 19:30:14 »

What sort of cost did people get their trips for?  I have always wanted to go with the missus for a bit of Xmas shopping and would love a weekend there late Nov early Dec.

I got flights for £310 each and hotel as above £600 for 7 nights.
pumbaa
Ha, no cunt in my title anymore. Oh.....

Fartmeister

Ignore
« Reply #23 on: Monday, August 17, 2009, 19:36:28 »

America is shit.
donkey
Cheers!

He headed a football.

Ignore
« Reply #24 on: Monday, August 17, 2009, 19:36:34 »

I'm in NY with the wife in October, too.  Last time we were there we did a food tour of Greenwich village, and this time we're taking a punk tour. Band  I'm also going to the see the J-E-T-S Jets, Jets, Jets take on Buffalo.  Oh and to any Jets fans out there check out Sanchez's 48 yard pass during the Rams game.  It was his first ever play, a thing of beauty.   The QB battle ended right there.

donkey tells the truth

I headed the ball.

eeeeeeeeeeeeeee-aaaaaaaawwwwwww
RobertT

Ignore
« Reply #25 on: Monday, August 17, 2009, 20:08:06 »

Right, that'll teach me for replying just as I had to leave work.

If you do have to do the Empire State Building then at night is best, do the Rockefller in daytime for better view of Manhattan - plus you get cracking photos of the Empire State Building.

4 1/2 days isn't long so I would suggest avoiding the Statue of Liberty trip (it takes too long, especially to go up to the top) and instead book a boat trip which goes around the island on the Hudson, past Statue of Liberty and round under the Brooklyn Bridge.  if you do end up going out there though, stay on the ferry until Ellis Island, much better use of time.

Central Park is massive, so target an area you fancy going to.  They have shows on throughout the year so check their website.

If you fancy a posh night out then Gordon's Ramsay's restaurant Maze is in The London Hotel, near where you are staying - about £35 for the meal, but a lot more with drinks!  Cheaper night out around 80th St on Amsterdam Ave, next one over from Broadway, which is a student drinkig area.

Subway is pretty good value, and pretty safe these days.

Just opened and probably worth a visit is a garden on an old above ground railway (as in raised over street level).  It was an old rail line to transport goods I think and they've turned it into the longest public gardens in the world.  Goes from the south of the island all the way up the West Side and free.

Ground zero is gone now, it's a building site where the new tower is going, so not much to see other than boarded up streets and construction workers.  The memorial museum is a bit small but a very moving experience, but in 4 days I'm not sure it's worth it unless you combine it with some sight seeing around Wall St and Battery Park maybe.

For the other questions about deals, we stayed at the Belleclaire Hotel which was cracking value for Manhattan.  To scrimp further, stay at the airport hotels and get a bus in!  If you have some cash, get a limo transfer from the airport and get them to give you a small tour before dropping you at your hotel.  They'll have really good knowledge of the things to do beyond the usual.

RobertT

Ignore
« Reply #26 on: Monday, August 17, 2009, 20:12:39 »

I paid £1600 for 7 nights, 4 people in August last year.  You can get cheaper for a few 2 star hotels, you'll be 2 late for the best option of an appartment (well worth it for week long stays) in Queens or other surrounding suburb.
Nomoreheroes
The Moral Majority

Ignore
« Reply #27 on: Monday, August 17, 2009, 21:14:08 »

Just go on the Staten Island ferry or get the ferry to Governors Island to get a close up view of the Statue of Liberty and agorgeous view of the Manhatten skyline.

Thought NY was a dank and unfriendly place. Remember shivering in the shadows at Wall St but boiling in the direct sunshine. Noone gives you any eye contact and there was little English being spoken around me. Still, no different to London!

You're my incurable malady. I miss the pleasure of your company.
Iffy's Onion Bhaji
petulant

Ignore
« Reply #28 on: Monday, August 17, 2009, 21:16:13 »

I went to see the rangers vs the islanders at MSG, was quality evenin and never seen so many fights break out for no reason on the ice!!

5 days will be fine, always find NYC pretty full on so you'll enjoy it but be shattered at the end of it!!

You picked an awesome match. Would have loved to have seen that. I'd imagine the atmosphere was electric for that as well.
Batch
Not a Batch

Ignore
« Reply #29 on: Monday, August 17, 2009, 21:31:50 »

IIf you get bored/in the area there is the fire station used in Ghostbusters, the flatiron building and Grand Central Station, with the whispering wall outside the oyster bar.

Or maybe not.
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5   Go Up
Print
Jump to: