Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: Cardiff Game  (Read 26960 times)
Anteater

Ignore
« Reply #30 on: Saturday, July 25, 2009, 19:20:30 »

Don't often go to friendlies but this seemed to confirm most peoples perceptions of how the team stands at the moment. Much more solid at the back and in the middle but struggling a bit going forward. Still deserved to beat the horrible Cardiff (their fans really are wankers in the extreme !). Berlin didn't take my breath away I'm afraid but we'll see what DW thinks. Douglas looked good but then most of the team did OK. As for their keepers kit that was something else !
Monkey Butler

Ignore
« Reply #31 on: Saturday, July 25, 2009, 20:04:31 »

Been out all day, what was the final score?
Anteater

Ignore
« Reply #32 on: Saturday, July 25, 2009, 20:10:38 »

0-0   but not a boring one !
normy

Ignore
« Reply #33 on: Saturday, July 25, 2009, 20:13:29 »

0-0.  This could sum up the season. Lots of passing around in the crowded midfield, but few natural goalscorers. Quite a decent game today, solid and we might be hard to score against. That will be a change over the last few seasons! Phil Smith was faultless ( except one kick in to touch). The forward triallist seemed to have something about him which worries defences.

ust be the oldest
stfctownenda

Ignore
« Reply #34 on: Saturday, July 25, 2009, 20:18:06 »

0-0.  This could sum up the season. Lots of passing around in the crowded midfield, but few natural goalscorers. Quite a decent game today, solid and we might be hard to score against. That will be a change over the last few seasons! Phil Smith was faultless ( except one kick in to touch). The forward triallist seemed to have something about him which worries defences.

All this could sum up the season is a bit over the top Paynter hit the bar and Timlin hit a post, we looked a threat every time on the break with the quick wingers Macklin and McNamee linking well with Paynter.  I was impressed by the formation, think it would work great away.  We still definitely need a couple of strikers but I think that aside we are looking good for start of the season.
glos_robin

« Reply #35 on: Saturday, July 25, 2009, 20:46:37 »

Fairly entertaining game all in all but strikers are definately needed. Lescinel is seemingly a rough diamond, at times he does too much but at others he seems to definately have something about him. I wouldn't be surprised to see him in midfield sometime in career as he does go on some powerful runs. If the options stay as they are dependent on where Cuthbert slots in I'd definately put Lescinel in ahead of Kennedy and Wilson seems to rate him as he seems to have played the majority of all the pre-season games.
McNamee seems back on form now, Marshall looked handy again when he came on as a sub and should be useful to have on the bench, still not sure about Macklin as he never seems to have the ball fully under control either over running it or running out of pitch.
Ifil also looks like he's trying to take some responsibility in defence and looked pretty decent today back to doing the simple things.

The trialist didn't really have any chances but didn't look great but I guess you never know.

The funniest moment was Lucas ribbing Enkleman for his Pink shirt, Enkleman incidently looks like he's a product of the Granville school of GK coaching.........utterly useless for them but got away with it.
Anteater

Ignore
« Reply #36 on: Saturday, July 25, 2009, 21:13:24 »

Agree with most of that but I didn't think MacNamee looked great. His defending is still very suspect and Lescinel did well covering for him on several occasions. Also Marshall seemed to make more of an impact in his short time than Macca did most of the game particularly taking the full back on. Clearly he has the ability but I really hope he doesn't turn into a luxury we can't afford this coming season.
Monkey Butler

Ignore
« Reply #37 on: Saturday, July 25, 2009, 23:38:09 »

So is Lescinel the answer to our full back problems or is he another Yinka Casal? It sounds like we ae definitely more solid at the back than last season, just hope DW can somewhere find a hidden gem in a striker.

Don't want to sound negative as have been very impressed with the calibre of DW's signings so far but can't see where a striker is going to come from?!

Hopefully we can find someone permanent or at least a descent loan signing from somewhere.

Panda Paws

« Reply #38 on: Sunday, July 26, 2009, 00:51:35 »

Lesc looked solid throughout. Macca is frustrating and Shirtliff was increasingly annoyed with him. I'm not convinced he has the disicpline to play any system, particularly today's, where he was asked to tuck in and hassle when we didn't have the ball. Macklin, well in my opinion you might as well have Dwayne Chambers up front. Very little quality on the ball apart from one left footed cross, it's all good and well having pace but a pro defender will stand off him and wait for him to fall over or lose control of the ball. Smith, Greer and Douglas all looked good, as did Timlin and Paynter.
TOWNEND TONTO

« Reply #39 on: Sunday, July 26, 2009, 07:55:46 »

I thought we looked alright,as everyone else has said we looked alot better at the back and in midfield which DW must take hugh amont of credit for as well.We are trying to play with wingers but we must find a plan b when the wingers are marked.I think at times yesterday we were trying to find Paynter with long/direct balls which aint are style.Its not that Paynter dont win them its us being able to win the 2nd ball

All in all we aint looking a bad team only major problem is we never looked like scoring yesterday.Silly to say when we had hit the post and the bar.Maybe its just the Cox facter who scored from everywere.

As for the Cardiff fans ive never known such a bunch of tossers and again our stewards/police did nothing as abuse was being directed in our direction untill a few swindon fans directed it back and were then chucked out.One may even be banded now!

People need to be treated fairly but again its the normal well behaved fans that our made the victims rather than the ones who start the trouble and abuse.Sort out the policing and stewarding and police/steward the ones that need it not the normal people!
Bob's Orange
Has brain escape barriers

Ignore
« Reply #40 on: Sunday, July 26, 2009, 08:54:22 »

A Cardiff fan on their forum made a few interesting points. Seems this Annis character used to be their 'head boy' in their soul crew firm.

http://www.ccmb.co.uk/fudforum/index.php?t=msg&th=165462&start=0&rid=0&S=0084be0121913a78ddab6ce6117ea475

we've been to Aberdeen, we hate the Hibs, they make us spew up, so make some noise,
the gorgie boys, for Hearts in Europe.
Arch Stanton

Wallowing in negativity

Ignore
« Reply #41 on: Sunday, July 26, 2009, 09:46:29 »

A Cardiff fan on their forum made a few interesting points. Seems this Annis character used to be their 'head boy' in their soul crew firm.
http://www.ccmb.co.uk/fudforum/index.php?t=msg&th=165462&start=0&rid=0&S=0084be0121913a78ddab6ce6117ea475

He was, I remember seeing him on a TV documentary on Bravo or something about football crews....he came across as quite an articulate and sensible chap.

I didnt go on Saturday, but I went to the pre-season against them last year (?) and their fans acted up then as well... but from what I remember the main protagonists did resemble a group of under-14's on a youth club outing...
digby

Ignore
« Reply #42 on: Sunday, July 26, 2009, 13:08:52 »

Went today and was very pleasantly surprised.

We worked hard, looked balanced and solid in defence, and played some good football. Although only playing Billy up front, we did create a few chances, and on the balance of play we deserved a win.

My MoM was Lescinel Jean-Francois playing at left back - he was superb - good tackling,heading, positional play and made some good runs. I think left back is sorted, dont need to sign anyone for this position, coz have callum kennedy as cover, who I think will really prove himself this season.

Smiley

Ignore
« Reply #43 on: Sunday, July 26, 2009, 15:43:52 »

cardiff morons running riot at a pre season friendly?Huh?
that beggars belief.
westcountry

Ignore
« Reply #44 on: Sunday, July 26, 2009, 16:17:56 »

i heard it kicked off 4 times yesterday, the forth outside sir dans at bout 8pm no OB about anywhere.
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5   Go Up
Print
Jump to: