Pages: 1 ... 8 9 10 [11] 12 13 14 ... 20   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: Notts County trying to run before they can crawl?  (Read 44772 times)
jonny72

Ignore
« Reply #150 on: Wednesday, October 7, 2009, 12:58:37 »

Have the Football League bottled it on decisions like this in the past? The FA yes, the Premier League yes, but I'm not aware of the Football League doing it. They always seem to stand up to people, no one has really tried fighting any of the administration penalties in court have they?
pauld
Aaron Aardvark

Absolute Calamity!

Ignore
« Reply #151 on: Wednesday, October 7, 2009, 13:09:50 »

Have the Football League bottled it on decisions like this in the past?
Not been put to the test yet - tomorrow is the first time the FPPT will have been tested. But given the test itself is somewhat limp-wristed and their history, not so much perhaps of bottling decisions, but certainly seeming able to punish the wrong people, hopes aren't high. I'll be more than happy to volte face on that if and when they ban Ken Bates from every ground in the country Smiley
jayohaitchenn
Wielder of the BANHAMMER

« Reply #152 on: Wednesday, October 7, 2009, 14:07:56 »

I'll be more than happy to volte face on that if and when they ban Ken Bates from every ground in the country Smiley

Don't tease.
Summerof69

Ignore
« Reply #153 on: Wednesday, October 7, 2009, 15:19:32 »

I'll be more than happy to volte face on that if and when they ban Ken Bates from every ground in the country Smiley

That would make just about EVERY football supporters day if that ever happened.

BAZINGA !!

Join the Red Army Fund and donate at www.redarmyfund.co.uk

Join the Football Supporters Federation for FREE at www.fsf.org.uk/join.php
Power to people

Ignore
« Reply #154 on: Thursday, October 8, 2009, 14:33:03 »

Sounds like the FL have bottled it on the QPR situation saying they are writing to Briatore and asking for responses - surely it is straight foward if he is banned from another sport then surely he has to be banned from football ownership on the plus side they are contacting Leeds to ask for clarification on the ownership issue, let's hope they charge Bates for misleading the FL upon the last takeover no word on the Notts County issue though.
jonny72

Ignore
« Reply #155 on: Thursday, October 8, 2009, 14:40:36 »

I read one article, on the BBC website I think, that suggested Briatore's legal team were going to argue that he hasn't actually been banned from motor sport and that in actual fact, motor sport has been banned from having anything to do with Briatore. Which according to them, isn't the same thing.
Summerof69

Ignore
« Reply #156 on: Thursday, October 8, 2009, 14:55:21 »

let's hope they charge Bates for misleading the FL upon the last takeover no word on the Notts County issue though.

I think it's an open and shut case in regards Leeds as court transcrips say Bates 'misled' the League about who owns Leeds.

http://www.guardian.co.uk/sport/david-conn-inside-sport-blog/2009/sep/30/leeds-united-ken-bates-jersey

BAZINGA !!

Summerof69

Ignore
« Reply #157 on: Thursday, October 8, 2009, 14:56:51 »

I read one article, on the BBC website I think, that suggested Briatore's legal team were going to argue that he hasn't actually been banned from motor sport and that in actual fact, motor sport has been banned from having anything to do with Briatore. Which according to them, isn't the same thing.

That's just legal talk. The fact is if he turned up at an FIA event, he would not be allowed in, so therefore he is banned...simples !!

BAZINGA !!

pauld
Aaron Aardvark

Absolute Calamity!

Ignore
« Reply #158 on: Thursday, October 8, 2009, 15:22:30 »

I don't know that the FL have bottled it by delaying the decisions (on all 3 - QPR, County and Leeds). Both Briatore and Bates are notoriously litigious, so they have requested further information from both on the advice of their legal counsel, which seems fair enough. But if Briatore is allowed to wriggle out of a ban then you can throw the FPP test out of the window. This is the first time that the test is being tested (as it were) and he's a slam dunk failure. If he's allowed to remain as a director of QPR, then the test is null and void.

And for County, the situation is changing almost by the day (it's emerged today their newly appointed spin doctor has quit after the latest revelations re supposed owners denying they are), but actually what they need to do IS to seek more information
mexico red

Demasiado no es demasiado

Ignore
« Reply #159 on: Thursday, October 8, 2009, 15:28:03 »

do you mean lorenzo the commentator? I heard he packed it in 2 weeks after calling it his dream job.
jonny72

Ignore
« Reply #160 on: Thursday, October 8, 2009, 15:34:11 »

I don't know that the FL have bottled it by delaying the decisions (on all 3 - QPR, County and Leeds). Both Briatore and Bates are notoriously litigious, so they have requested further information from both on the advice of their legal counsel, which seems fair enough.

I think they are just erring on the side of caution, making sure they've got all the facts before they take action. I can't see them allowing Briatore to retain a 30%+ interest in QPR and there will be some heavy penalty for Bates, perhaps even a ban from being on the board of a league club.
pauld
Aaron Aardvark

Absolute Calamity!

Ignore
« Reply #161 on: Thursday, October 8, 2009, 16:19:22 »

I think they are just erring on the side of caution, making sure they've got all the facts before they take action. I can't see them allowing Briatore to retain a 30%+ interest in QPR and there will be some heavy penalty for Bates, perhaps even a ban from being on the board of a league club.
Hope so jonny. I think you're right about Briatore as it really is open and shut, but I'll be astonished (and impressed) if they do anything more than fine Leeds
The Professor

Ignore
« Reply #162 on: Thursday, October 8, 2009, 19:47:52 »

Frankly, I suspect that the League will seek to make an example of Bates & really throw the book at him - and warn him as to his future conduct.
Cannot see anyone there having the external male genitalia to take him on - the only winners will be the lawyers.
flammableBen

« Reply #163 on: Thursday, October 8, 2009, 22:21:38 »

The football league have left it to late too late to set a precedent on the fit and proper person test thing. Also, going after boards/people once they've already had the football club for months seems a bit pointless.

Even if they start enforcing it now, sooner or later they're going to be put in the lose-lose situation of having to chose between bust or dodgy directors at a football club. What will they do then?
pauld
Aaron Aardvark

Absolute Calamity!

Ignore
« Reply #164 on: Thursday, October 8, 2009, 23:46:25 »

The football league have left it to late too late to set a precedent on the fit and proper person test thing. Also, going after boards/people once they've already had the football club for months seems a bit pointless.
Well, quite. You can drive a coach and horses (or a Newbury-registered Range Rover) through the test itself and only attempting to apply it retrospectively is almost self-defeating. However, Mawhinney is showing signs that he at least is starting to realise what many people have been pointing out from the outset and this is still a crucial test. The League will get themselves in a pickle over this and they can go two ways - apply the rules but learn the lessons or bottle it and abandon any prentence that they will attempt to regulate/protect member clubs from their own directors. Time to show it's not all just harrumphing
Pages: 1 ... 8 9 10 [11] 12 13 14 ... 20   Go Up
Print
Jump to: