Pages: 1 ... 1076 1077 1078 [1079] 1080 1081 1082 ... 1214   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: The Ex Swindon Town Player Where Are They Now Thread  (Read 4292635 times)
Red Frog
Not a Dave

Pondlife

Ignore
« Reply #16170 on: Monday, January 23, 2023, 12:28:29 »

Ah, got a keeper: Alan Churchward, rather weedy looking youngster who I only remember from a team photo.

Though his LinkedIn insists he's still at the club after 37 years loyal service. Surely we should at least give him a shot in the Papa Johns, if only to put him out of his misery.

https://www.linkedin.com/in/alan-churchward-595715183/?originalSubdomain=uk

Tout ce que je sais de plus sûr à propos de la moralité et des obligations des hommes, c'est au football que je le dois. - Albert Camus
Peter Venkman
We don't need no stinking badges.

Back Off Man, I’m A Scientist.

« Reply #16171 on: Monday, January 23, 2023, 12:28:57 »

Those two names completely passed me by. Then again, I suppose that's the point of them. Thought I had a keeper, but it turns out Mark Stevens made one league cup appearance in the 80s.
He was also a Town player not a loanee Smiley

Only a fool does not know when to hold his tongue.
Red Frog
Not a Dave

Pondlife

Ignore
« Reply #16172 on: Monday, January 23, 2023, 12:30:19 »

He was also a Town player not a loanee Smiley

Don't need to be loanees. Neither were McGreal or Sweeney. Only 0 apps.

Tout ce que je sais de plus sûr à propos de la moralité et des obligations des hommes, c'est au football que je le dois. - Albert Camus
Peter Venkman

« Reply #16173 on: Monday, January 23, 2023, 12:30:28 »

Ah, got a keeper: Alan Churchward, rather weedy looking youngster who I only remember from a team photo.

Though his LinkedIn insists he's still at the club after 37 years loyal service. Surely we should at least give him a shot in the Papa Johns, if only to put him out of his misery.

https://www.linkedin.com/in/alan-churchward-595715183/?originalSubdomain=uk
Chruchward was a youth teamer when at Town, nice lad, had a big shock of blonde permed hair like a Scouser.

Nemo
Shit Bacon

Ignore
« Reply #16174 on: Monday, January 23, 2023, 12:30:51 »

http://www.swindon-town-fc.co.uk/Squad.asp?Season=1986-1987 Looks absolutely tiny here, who made him a keeper!

That said if we're willing to take youth teamers who never played, there are hundreds - surely it needs to be signings that never made the first team?
Red Frog
Not a Dave

Pondlife

Ignore
« Reply #16175 on: Monday, January 23, 2023, 12:31:29 »

Chruchward was a youth teamer when at Town, nice lad, had a big shock of blonde permed hair like a Scouser.

Though he definitely made the first team squad photo. As close as he got.

Peter Venkman

« Reply #16176 on: Monday, January 23, 2023, 12:31:32 »

Don't need to be loanees. Neither were McGreal or Sweeney. Only 0 apps.
Oh absolutely but not sure Stephens who joined on a youth team contract can be counted, we have lots of youth teamers who didnt make a first team game or played once.

Peter Venkman

« Reply #16177 on: Monday, January 23, 2023, 12:31:52 »

http://www.swindon-town-fc.co.uk/Squad.asp?Season=1986-1987 Looks absolutely tiny here, who made him a keeper!

That said if we're willing to take youth teamers who never played, there are hundreds - surely it needs to be signings that never made the first team?
He was 5 foot 9.

Red Frog
Not a Dave

Pondlife

Ignore
« Reply #16178 on: Monday, January 23, 2023, 12:32:12 »

Oh absolutely but not sure Stephens who joined on a youth team contract can be counted, we have lots of youth teamers who didnt make a first team game or played once.

See above. Good enough for me.

Red Frog
Not a Dave

Pondlife

Ignore
« Reply #16179 on: Monday, January 23, 2023, 12:34:56 »

Looking at the blacked-out names on that photo does reinforce your point though. A load of those kids never got close.

Back to your rules then.

Peter Venkman

« Reply #16180 on: Monday, January 23, 2023, 12:38:43 »

Indeed, although back in the 70s and 80s we did sign a few players who left clubs on a free to sign for us and never played a first team game for us.

We also had a lot who only ever made 1 appearance too, like Tom McAlister a 28 year old keeper we signed for a free from Rotherham, released after 1 game and he went on to play 85 times for West Ham in the old Div 1 and 2.

Nemo
Shit Bacon

Ignore
« Reply #16181 on: Monday, January 23, 2023, 12:41:29 »

The Samsung win a contract guys are probably all eligible right - think there were 3 or 4 in the end?
horlock07

Lives in Northern Bastard Outpost

Ignore
« Reply #16182 on: Monday, January 23, 2023, 12:50:28 »

Looking at the blacked-out names on that photo does reinforce your point though. A load of those kids never got close.

Back to your rules then.

Looking at some of the older team photo's some years there seemed to be a cast of thousands in them, in one of the McMahon ones the sodding assistant Chairman is in the photo!
Peter Venkman

« Reply #16183 on: Monday, January 23, 2023, 13:02:04 »

Looking at some of the older team photo's some years there seemed to be a cast of thousands in them, in one of the McMahon ones the sodding assistant Chairman is in the photo!
A fair few team photos used to have the apprentices in and every member of the staff including kitmen etc, it used to be great fun going in for the photoshoots, I was on the club staff for 3 of them at the time IIRC. Just used to be 1 or 2 photgraphers back then, usually Dave wasn't his name? the tall bloke with long permed dark hair and a beard.

ChalkyWhiteIsGod
TOLD YOU SO

Ignore
« Reply #16184 on: Monday, January 23, 2023, 13:04:38 »

A fair few team photos used to have the apprentices in and every member of the staff including kitmen etc, it used to be great fun going in for the photoshoots, I was on the club staff for 3 of them at the time IIRC. Just used to be 1 or 2 photgraphers back then, usually Dave wasn't his name? the tall bloke with long permed dark hair and a beard.

Squads weren't as big back then, had to make up the numbers.
Pages: 1 ... 1076 1077 1078 [1079] 1080 1081 1082 ... 1214   Go Up
Print
Jump to: