Pages: 1 ... 3 4 5 [6] 7   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: "Survival Sunday"  (Read 28049 times)
Spencer_White

« Reply #75 on: Tuesday, May 26, 2009, 21:21:15 »

Going back to Newcastle, I do think Shearer will take them back up. Its been consistantly proven that British football legends (former great players) do very well as managers in the Championship, then go on to struggle in the top flight.

But then again, 1 win in 8 was an poor effort. Certainly expected better. Could be Shearer falls flat on his face. He's always been a bit boring in public, doesnt seem to have charisma. If he does fail then he can expect everyone to ram that quote about Middlesborough being the 'biggest match of his career'. A match they won. Bet it doesnt feel more important than England vs Germany semi final now, eh Alan?

If Newcastle fail to go up within a couple of seasons then the club will go into meltdown and they will get 20,000 average, just like Leeds did. The only reason their attendances have held up this season is because of all the season ticket holders. Fans wont be so bothered about renewing if a Premier League return looks unlikely. Its the Geordie fan's mental scar of their best ever team having to play in front of the smallest capacity ground (92-93, best team in living memory). 
Reg Smeeton
Walking Encyclopaedia

Ignore
« Reply #76 on: Tuesday, May 26, 2009, 21:27:28 »

TBF I thought Shearer came over very well in his post match comments on Sunday...on MOTD he seems largely clueless, but in his analysis of Newcastle's position thought he showed a bit of promise as a manager.
leefer

Ignore
« Reply #77 on: Tuesday, May 26, 2009, 21:27:54 »

http://www.nufc.premiumtv.co.uk/page/SeniorSquad/0,,10278,00.html

Just looked at the senior squad....its amazing how much they must be paying on wages.
4D
Or not 4D that is the question

I can't bear it 🙄

Ignore
« Reply #78 on: Tuesday, May 26, 2009, 21:29:17 »

TBF I thought Shearer came over very well in his post match comments on Sunday...on MOTD he seems largely clueless, but in his analysis of Newcastle's position thought he showed a bit of promise as a manager.

What did he analyse? Was it that they were being relegated?
Rich Pullen

« Reply #79 on: Tuesday, May 26, 2009, 21:36:10 »

Ol' Bob Moncur reckons Newcastle might be there for a couple of years which will hurt their fans because he's a respected chap up here.

It's hard to say how they'll cope in the Championship until we know who they've managed to offload what they've got and who they'll have in charge next year.

Regardless to whether it's right or not, I think it has to be Shearer now. I personally think they need a been there/done that to sort them out.

Manchester City caught on when they were down here - combine the young players that stayed after relegations (Michael Brown, Jeff Whitely, Lee Crooks) with experienced lower league players like Shaun Goater, Ian Bishop, Andy Morrison, Robert Taylor and even Kevin Horlock to ensure the job got done.

Newcastle need to bring in players that'll get the job done... not superstars or random Dutch (and alike) players.
Batch
Not a Batch

Ignore
« Reply #80 on: Wednesday, May 27, 2009, 06:59:24 »

I don't get the clamour over getting Shearer. Is it fan lead or media hype Rich?

I don't get why they'd employ someone with no experience in when they are in crisis and need a rebuild. Massive risk, he might do well, or he might be the next Bryan Robson. i'd have massive reservations if we'd given Fjortoft our managers job.

Rich Pullen

« Reply #81 on: Wednesday, May 27, 2009, 10:23:57 »

At this stage it's a bit of both leaning more towards the fans.

Mike Ashley has come out and said Shearer was the best decision he's made (!?!?!?!).

From my observations, I would say they are desperate for Shearer to stay. There's no significant conversations about who should come in from anyone.

As I've said, I don't think Shearer is the answer for them but they're all in such a weird state of  shock up here that they probably need Shearer to manage them - and if it goes wrong, it goes wrong.
Summerof69

Ignore
« Reply #82 on: Wednesday, May 27, 2009, 11:07:23 »

http://www.nufc.premiumtv.co.uk/page/SeniorSquad/0,,10278,00.html

Just looked at the senior squad....its amazing how much they must be paying on wages.

Apparently the wage bill totals £71m, and only a couple of the players are on the relegation clause.

Luckily enough Michael Owen's contract runs out in a month so that's £105k they save weekly !!

BAZINGA !!

Join the Red Army Fund and donate at www.redarmyfund.co.uk

Join the Football Supporters Federation for FREE at www.fsf.org.uk/join.php
Saxondale

Ignore
« Reply #83 on: Wednesday, May 27, 2009, 11:10:48 »

Rich, I know you're up there and probably have some affection for them because of this, but they really do get on my tits!

My problem is the contention that no else can possibly understand what its like to support a team like newcastle.  As if there support is somehow special and more intense than the hardcore of support of Swindon.  This is constantly perpetuated by the media and the fans on phone ins and its plainly not true.  I can recall them coming to the county ground back in the late 80's early 90's and they bought a decent crowd, but no more than some other teams and there was nothing 'special' about them.

It does seem to be largely media and particularly sky sport led.  As a result I was more than happy for them to go down.  Im up in newcastle on saturday and Im sure that life will be going on up there, in fact I very much doubt anyone will even mention football to me just as every other time I'm up there no one talks about football.

Glad I've got that off my chest!

Never knowingly overstated.
Rich Pullen

« Reply #84 on: Wednesday, May 27, 2009, 11:14:36 »

If/when they offload the expected casualties of relegation: Steven Taylor, Ignacio Gonzalez, Fabricio Coloccini, Jonas Gutierrez, Mark Viduka, Sebastien Bassong, Claudio Cacapa, Geremi, Xisco, Michael Owen and Habib Beye the amount of wages freed will be phenomenal.

I imagine players like Joey Barton, Damien Duff, Alan Smith and Nicky Butt to stay but if a bid came in for any of them, they'd probably accept.

It's the best thing to happen for their youngsters - Andrew Carroll, Nile Ranger, Kazenga LuaLua, Frank Wiafe Danquah and even Ben Tozer could benefit.
Ginginho

Ignore
« Reply #85 on: Wednesday, May 27, 2009, 12:55:29 »

http://www.thedailymash.co.uk/index2.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=1781&pop=1&page=0&Itemid=26

This made me laugh Smiley

« Last Edit: Wednesday, May 27, 2009, 14:53:22 by Ginginho » Logged
jonny72

Ignore
« Reply #86 on: Wednesday, May 27, 2009, 12:58:59 »

Said in the paper yesterday that they need to shave £30m off their salary bill and that getting rid of Owen and Viduka alone will save them £9m. If they can find someone stupid enough to take Barton off their hands he'll be gone, amazingly it looks like Allardyce & Blackburn actually are likely to be that stupid. Beggars belief.
Don Rogers Shop

« Reply #87 on: Wednesday, May 27, 2009, 13:16:20 »

All barton did this time was get sent off. The same as bassong(sp) and the other bloke did.
Batch
Not a Batch

Ignore
« Reply #88 on: Wednesday, May 27, 2009, 13:51:16 »

All barton did this time was get sent off. The same as bassong(sp) and the other bloke did.

And then have a disagreement with Shearer.

They guy could start an argument in an empty room.
Don Rogers Shop

« Reply #89 on: Wednesday, May 27, 2009, 14:09:14 »

Do you read the sun batch? Shearer slated him straight after the game.
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 5 [6] 7   Go Up
Print
Jump to: