Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 7   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: "Survival Sunday"  (Read 28071 times)
jonny72

Ignore
« Reply #45 on: Monday, May 25, 2009, 22:00:35 »

Jonny most supporters are the same,they wanted Shearer,they got him,now they are relegated.When Malpas went some on here were calling for Luke Nigholt,Sean Taylor,what would we have said if we had one of them come in and were relegated,still i agree with most of your post.

There is a difference.

If we got someone that was a CG favourite then the general reaction from supporters would be "oh that's good" and at maximum "oh that's really good", a few might even get excited but the rest of the town wouldn't give a fuck.

Meanwhile, over in Newcastle they get Keegan back and the whole city starts hailing the return of the messiah. When he quits the Samaritans had to take on 5,000 extra staff to handle all the suicide calls. Then they get Shearer and the whole city starts hailing the return of the messiah again and the Samaritans let the 5,000 go. When they get relegated the Samaritans had to hire the 5,000 again.

And it is for that difference that I laughed my bollocks off when the ref blew the final whistle.
Devon Nige

Ignore
« Reply #46 on: Monday, May 25, 2009, 22:11:09 »

Totally agree,but it just goes to show that it really dont matter whos in charge,its all about getting results and if its an ex player,legend all the better.
donkey
Cheers!

He headed a football.

Ignore
« Reply #47 on: Monday, May 25, 2009, 22:43:28 »

There is a difference.

If we got someone that was a CG favourite then the general reaction from supporters would be "oh that's good" and at maximum "oh that's really good", a few might even get excited but the rest of the town wouldn't give a fuck.

Meanwhile, over in Newcastle they get Keegan back and the whole city starts hailing the return of the messiah. When he quits the Samaritans had to take on 5,000 extra staff to handle all the suicide calls. Then they get Shearer and the whole city starts hailing the return of the messiah again and the Samaritans let the 5,000 go. When they get relegated the Samaritans had to hire the 5,000 again.

And it is for that difference that I laughed my bollocks off when the ref blew the final whistle.

Well they should know, they've followed a few.

donkey tells the truth

I headed the ball.

eeeeeeeeeeeeeee-aaaaaaaawwwwwww
Doore

« Reply #48 on: Monday, May 25, 2009, 23:07:15 »

I think it will be interesting, as a dedicated 606 listener who hears all the time about the "best fans in the world", to see if they actually merit this self declared title when Scunthorpe and Doncaster are the visitors to St James' Park - even more so when they play away at the smaller teams.

I myself have no animosity towards Newcastle other than how clearly badly run the club have been.

As for Shearer - good English Centre Forward, dull on the Telly.  I think hate in this context is far too strong a word.

As an aside - Michael Owen will get another premier league club - if he wants one.  I just have a sneaking feeling he may turn up at Everton - less pressure in a way than Newcastle - and score a few goals.

Rich Pullen

« Reply #49 on: Monday, May 25, 2009, 23:15:12 »

The whole 'best fans' fandom thing isn't really talked about up here - certainly not in an obvious way.

Like all top clubs you get fans who feel this. The local news always interview, for want of a better word, weirdos.
Don Rogers Shop

« Reply #50 on: Monday, May 25, 2009, 23:20:02 »

Like the bristolians yesterday whos words were it was either bristol city or rovers so we chose a premier league team.
THE FLASH

Quick as a Flash!

Ignore
« Reply #51 on: Tuesday, May 26, 2009, 00:07:11 »

Freddie Sheppard reckoned the Football League was shite and the Premier League was the place to be.

Not so fucking clever now you cunt!

Clems Army!
jonny72

Ignore
« Reply #52 on: Tuesday, May 26, 2009, 00:49:47 »

I think it will be interesting, as a dedicated 606 listener who hears all the time about the "best fans in the world", to see if they actually merit this self declared title when Scunthorpe and Doncaster are the visitors to St James' Park - even more so when they play away at the smaller teams.

I'm sure they'll turn up still. Last time they were in The Championship they averaged just over 29k and their capacity was a lot lower back then (no more than 36k, possibly lower). I'd imagine they'll get well over 30k on average and will be the best supported team in the division by some distance.
Reg Smeeton
Walking Encyclopaedia

Ignore
« Reply #53 on: Tuesday, May 26, 2009, 09:26:09 »

I'm sure they'll turn up still. Last time they were in The Championship they averaged just over 29k and their capacity was a lot lower back then (no more than 36k, possibly lower). I'd imagine they'll get well over 30k on average and will be the best supported team in the division by some distance.

They did win the league that season, the previous season they averaged 21,000 in a modest season in the second tier...not bad, twice as many as us, but less than both Sheffield clubs, Forest and West Ham. 

In other words Newcastle fans are no different to the fans of all clubs.
jonny72

Ignore
« Reply #54 on: Tuesday, May 26, 2009, 11:18:08 »

They did win the league that season, the previous season they averaged 21,000 in a modest season in the second tier...not bad, twice as many as us, but less than both Sheffield clubs, Forest and West Ham. 

In other words Newcastle fans are no different to the fans of all clubs.

A valid point, though they were fighting a relegation battle the season before when they got 21,000 and were in a total mess. It will be interesting to see how many turn up next season, I imagine Shearer staying (if he does) will add a fair few to their attendances.
THE FLASH

Quick as a Flash!

Ignore
« Reply #55 on: Tuesday, May 26, 2009, 11:19:35 »

I wish them well......but i was about time a 'big' club went down instead of one of the yo-yo clubs.

Clems Army!
reeves4england

We'll never die!

Ignore
« Reply #56 on: Tuesday, May 26, 2009, 12:54:02 »

I don't doubt that they'll have decent attendances throughout the season. The bigger test will be to see the way they react to a poor result against a small club like Plymouth or Blackpool. That's where Leeds' fans went wrong, with all the "we should be beating teams like this, I can't believe we're playing at such crap grounds" nonsense.
Reg Smeeton
Walking Encyclopaedia

Ignore
« Reply #57 on: Tuesday, May 26, 2009, 14:42:07 »

I don't doubt that they'll have decent attendances throughout the season. The bigger test will be to see the way they react to a poor result against a small club like Plymouth or Blackpool. That's where Leeds' fans went wrong, with all the "we should be beating teams like this, I can't believe we're playing at such crap grounds" nonsense.

One for Pullen here...is Newcastle v Plymouth, the longest journey in the league structure?
THE FLASH

Quick as a Flash!

Ignore
« Reply #58 on: Tuesday, May 26, 2009, 15:11:17 »

One for Pullen here...is Newcastle v Plymouth, the longest journey in the league structure?

Carlisle v Pikeys will be up there!

Clems Army!
alanmayes

Ignore
« Reply #59 on: Tuesday, May 26, 2009, 15:21:34 »

1) Plymouth - Newcastle

2) Brighton - Carlisle

3) Torquay - Darlo

"It's not delusions of grandeur sir,it's intolerance of mediocrity and minimal performances."
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 7   Go Up
Print
Jump to: