Pages: 1 2 [3]   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: Looking far, far ahead to Peterborough  (Read 17390 times)
Reg Smeeton
Walking Encyclopaedia

Ignore
« Reply #30 on: Wednesday, April 15, 2009, 09:53:41 »

That's the way we're planning on, but mostly because we have to pick Whits up at Chieveley services.

My ex in laws lived in Hertfordshire, not so far from PBoro, so down the years did all sorts of routes out that way. That route is the most direct drive, assuming a trouble free M25, but the most boring.
Simon Pieman
Original Wanker

« Reply #31 on: Wednesday, April 15, 2009, 10:04:27 »

But the game isnt till the 2nd so would be the week before?

Right you are. If you're getting it a week early then you shouldn't have problems. Unless 4000 people decide to buy before then.

This is the problem when people plan too far in advance, it confuses me. One week at a time Smiley
Paolo69

Ignore
« Reply #32 on: Wednesday, April 15, 2009, 10:07:13 »

AS far as i'm aware its not all ticket. Saying that i got mine saturday to be on the safe side.

Its a big away end and i very much doubt we'll take enough to fill it even though i'm far from convinced it holds as many as 4,000.
Posh Red
Posh by name, Posh by nature

Ignore
« Reply #33 on: Wednesday, April 15, 2009, 13:36:20 »

I'd have thought the simplest route, would be M4, M25 off on the A1M, follow until it morphs to A1, follow until just near Peterboro.

It's a fair bit (about 40 miles) further going that way, and in my experience takes a lot longer.
Maybe that's because there always seems to be problems on the M25 & A1.

As for how many tickets, Leicester had just over 4,000 tickets for the game up here a few weeks ago. Not sure how many seat tickets that included, but I'm guessing the terrace will hold between 3500-4000.
axs
naaarrrrrppppp

Ignore
« Reply #34 on: Wednesday, April 15, 2009, 16:06:57 »

How much are tickets?  Do you think I'd be ok waiting till 24th April to buy them?

£15
4D
Or not 4D that is the question

I can't bear it 🙄

Ignore
« Reply #35 on: Wednesday, April 15, 2009, 17:21:45 »

4D,

This is the route we use & most of it (bar about 20 miles at either end) is dual carriageway.

From Swindon take the A420 to Oxford (this is a single carriageway, about 20/25 miles)

Join the A34 (first exit) towards the M40.

At the Junction with the M40, take the first exit towards Birmingham/Northampton on the M40

At the next junction (10), follow the road to Northampton, this is the A43.

Follow the A43 to Northampton. Go under the M1, and at that roundabout go straight across, at the next roundabout turn right and follow signs for the A45.

This takes you onto the Northampton ring road, but all of this is dual carriageway.

Follow the A45 through Wellingborough. (From here it should be signposted Peterborough).

It’s then dual carriageway until Rushden, and it's about 20 miles from here to the A1

When you hit Thrapston (at the Junction with the A14), the road becomes the A605, which you can follow all the way to Peterborough.

This will bring you out on the Junction of the A1, and from there it depends what sort of pub you like. Cheesy
You can head into the City Centre if you want a pub walking distance from the ground, or there are a few nice pubs which are about 5 mins to DRIVE into the City.

I don’t drive particularly slowly, but on Saturdays it usually take me about 2 hours from Home to get to Swindon.
However, this will be a Bank Holiday weekend, so it might take a bit longer.

Hope this helps

Thanks Posh - are there any notorious bits that are likely to be hit by the bank holiday traffic (or any STFC fan bad driving)?  Driving
Posh Red
Posh by name, Posh by nature

Ignore
« Reply #36 on: Wednesday, April 15, 2009, 18:19:35 »

Thanks Posh - are there any notorious bits that are likely to be hit by the bank holiday traffic (or any STFC fan bad driving)?  Driving

The busiest bits are usually the A34 & M40.

The junction that most people seem to miss is the exit from the last roundabout onto the A45 in Northampton.

Other than that it's not usually too bad.

Oh and watch out for the Speed Cameras
(on the A420 just after Shrivenham,
on the A43 by the Green man pub just before Silverstone,
on the A605 just after Thrapston,
on the A605 near the Fox Inn).

The two just outside Peterborough aren't working at the moment.
Summerof69

Ignore
« Reply #37 on: Thursday, April 16, 2009, 11:42:35 »

AS far as i'm aware its not all ticket. Saying that i got mine saturday to be on the safe side.

Its a big away end and i very much doubt we'll take enough to fill it even though i'm far from convinced it holds as many as 4,000.

Now officially all ticket...

BAZINGA !!

Join the Red Army Fund and donate at www.redarmyfund.co.uk

Join the Football Supporters Federation for FREE at www.fsf.org.uk/join.php
THE FLASH

Quick as a Flash!

Ignore
« Reply #38 on: Thursday, April 16, 2009, 11:56:03 »

All ticket?

Dunno if thats a good or bad thing?

Clems Army!
Spy

Ignore
« Reply #39 on: Thursday, April 16, 2009, 12:27:17 »

Why is this all ticket??
Bob's Orange
Has brain escape barriers

Ignore
« Reply #40 on: Thursday, April 16, 2009, 12:30:08 »

Why is this all ticket??

Presumably to stop P'Boro fans getting into the Swindon end.

we've been to Aberdeen, we hate the Hibs, they make us spew up, so make some noise,
the gorgie boys, for Hearts in Europe.
Saxondale

Ignore
« Reply #41 on: Thursday, April 16, 2009, 12:39:29 »

I went a few years ago (cant remember when) and was amazed by a couple of Pboro fans who did seem to be dressed head to foot in Burberry.  Very classy.  Think we lost 3 - 1.

Never knowingly overstated.
Spy

Ignore
« Reply #42 on: Thursday, April 16, 2009, 14:07:26 »

Presumably to stop P'Boro fans getting into the Swindon end.

yeah cos they're likely to sell out cos of promotion. That makes sense.
Bob's Orange
Has brain escape barriers

Ignore
« Reply #43 on: Monday, April 20, 2009, 08:29:08 »

Should be a good atmosphere whatever happens given the prosepective needs of both clubs.

we've been to Aberdeen, we hate the Hibs, they make us spew up, so make some noise,
the gorgie boys, for Hearts in Europe.
Pages: 1 2 [3]   Go Up
Print
Jump to: